Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Prepping 98 Camaro for road course track duty

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping 98 Camaro for road course track duty

Alright guys. Looking for some experienced builders and racers who've taken their 4th gens to the record setting level on road courses. I have a 98 Camaro Z28 M6 SLP edition.
Mods thus far:
SLP intake
SLP catback exhaust
B&M short throw shifter
OEM C4 ZR1 wheels
275/40r17s front
315/35r17s in the back
Koni shocks
Stranos springs
Adjustable panhard bar
Hotchkiss strut tower brace

Plans are to get BMR LCAs, adjustable torque arm, a square wheel setup with 275/40r17s on all 4 this season.

Don't have a lot of money to sink into this build yet, so I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck as I go!

Those of you who have ran road courses such as Road Atlanta and Road America, please share your build specs, experienced wisdom and track times! Let's get some records in the books
Old 04-27-2018, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Record setting level is a very vague statement. What sanctioning body are you looking to run with and are we talking time trials or fender to fender racing?

You have a good start on your mods so just flush the fluids put some good pads on it and go get some seat time. The best money you can spend is on the driver at this point.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes exactly, what's your goals, what is your experience level with Fbody's, and racing in general? Thinking about 315s? Roll cage? Removing all the interior? Prep for a time-attack style in unlimted class is far different from Nationals-level autocross is different from SCCA Improved Touring classes.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Get rid of the 17s, you want 18s
Old 05-02-2018, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm guessing no track time yet? The only thing you need to do is put new fluids in everything, torque every nut and bolt, make sure brakes and tires are somewhat fresh. Square tire setup is good for better balance but not required at this point. Then hit every track event for the next five to ten years and if you have gobs of natural talent you might be ready to set some records. If your goal is to have the time of your life, then just prep for safety and show ready to learn.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Nothing is more valuable than professional instruction and seat time. Time after time, this is proven to be true. Go to as many racing schools as you can, and get in as much seat time as you can. Once you do that, you'll easily find the "weak" points in your car, and fix them.

Grass Roots Motorsports has an excellent article this month on the venerable F body. Read through that and it will answer most of your questions about the car.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

What brakes are you planning to use?
Old 05-15-2018, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you guys that seat time is the best value of all. I've raced in a hand full of amateur autocross events with the CDC, which has really helped me realize the primary points where the car needs modification.

Right now I simply have OEM brakes, pads and rotors. The plan is to flush all fluids and tighten all bolts as suggested, keep the brake calipers for now and simply upgrade pads and rotors. I'm tempted to build myself a splitter and diffuser before running on a full size track, but I can live without it.

Really just looking for some reference points from anyone who's raced seriously and for more than just the fun of it.

I have not raced on a full size road course yet, but I hope to make it to Road Atlanta or Road America this summer. Right now I'm looking to simply run on my own and set my own personal best times. From there, I'd like to compare times with some of the pros with 4th gens to see where I can make car improvements and grow as a driver from there.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Upgrading the pads and rotors is a good idea. Maybe slots in the rotors, but certainly no holes or dimples. Heat is your big enemy, so you should also fab some simple ducting to bring cool air into the center of the rotor.

A front splitter will add some downforce and keep turbulent air out from underneath the car. You should balance that with a rear wing.

A rear diffuser, though is a bit more difficult. It has to be designed just right to prevent too much drag. Don't just slap on any diffuser, you need to have data before installing. And it's generally the last bit of aero that you add.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Iron Man Bob is right on with the brakes - no holes is the way to go, apply some ducting to prevent overheating and fade. I'm not sure that I would recommend splitters or wings until your car is a full track car (ie not streetable any more). IMO a front splitter has to be done right so you don't block the radiator air flow. And rear diffusers are really almost impossible to do right on cars not originally designed to have some kind of flat bottom to begin with. There are just so many other things in the way, that in order to have good effect you need to cover up the entire axle (in my non-engineering experience). Look at the bottom of current race cars or 1980s Group C/ Porsche 956/962 - the entire bottom of car is flat, with only the axles possibly disrupting the perfect tunnel.

956 underbody

I think another good suggestion replace with panhard with a watts link, down the road. I have done several track days with essentially the same current prep of your car, + brake ducts. Had a good time, was reasonably fast, passed some slow-driver Corvettes.
If you're serious about the road racing and learning from so old pros, try to join the FRRAX.com forum, there's people there that have done everything you're looking to do, or fab the parts you are considering, or have prepped full Camaro/Firebird race cars. We like to be polite over there ;-)

Quick Reply: Prepping 98 Camaro for road course track duty