Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default torque arm

What torque arm setup is everyone running? I've heard of the decoupled if you can find one... BMR/UMI/MWC? also why over factory torque arm?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 94LS1B4C
What torque arm setup is everyone running? I've heard of the decoupled if you can find one... BMR/UMI/MWC? also why over factory torque arm?
I ran a Spohn cross-member mounted, adjustable torque arm for a long time. Aftermarket torque arms are more rigid than stock and having an adjustable feature is good for lowered cars to correct the altered driveline geometry.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the response, Currently running the stock torque arm mounted to trans cross member with all other suspension components upgraded. In the market for a TA and didn't know which is best.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

All the ones you've mentioned are good. Founders makes a nice one as well
Old 05-17-2018, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Strano is selling a decoupled arm off the car he bought a while ago. Would have to contact him directly
Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I put on a UE decoupled TA for this season (originally was stock), only used it once so far. FRAAX may have someone selling one.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've used a decoupled TA from a FRRAX vendor since 2004 on my daily driver.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I've used a decoupled TA from a FRRAX vendor since 2004 on my daily driver.
How would you describe the difference/or charactoristics sense it's been awhile for you to compare it to anything.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

My limited use is the car likes to put power down better. I also went to UMI rod end rear LCA's at the same time, but I get more rear end vibration etc into the cabin. The cross brace is tied right under the seats in the floor board so the drivetrain vibration is transferred to you easier.

For me it was more of a "this is a cool design and engineering wise seems like best of both worlds so lets try it". Obviously people have done very well without this style and a simple long TA works for them. I had the money, one was for sale, I like the idea so here we are.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
For me it was more of a "this is a cool design and engineering wise seems like best of both worlds so lets try it". Obviously people have done very well without this style and a simple long TA works for them. I had the money, one was for sale, I like the idea so here we are.
Pretty much the same here. It was a trick piece that had been developed for road course use, and I purchased unit #4 in 2004. Being on the opposite coast of where the DCTA was developed and lack of a real race shop locally made setup a challenge. Sam drove my car at an Evolution performance driving event or two, but the preload wasn't set correctly and it was a bad example. I've read he did try other vehicles that already had the TA setup correctly but he couldn't detect the benefit. I did the best I could dialing it in until fall of 2010 when I traveled to Kentucky for the inaugural LSFest, and another DCTA owner who made his living as an engineer lived nearby Bowling Green, so I stopped by his house and he finished the setup for me.

I haven't driven an F-body in anger with any other type of TA in at least a decade, and I don't know what they feel like any more for a comparison. My setup is far from stock and even then somewhat rare between the DCTA and the shocks so I can't necessarily say any specific behavior is directly attributable to the TA. I've made a lot of changes in the past 6 months, but when I put on the new Rival S tires, I had all the dry traction I could ask for. Throwing pebbles against the wheel well two months later (so far), barely any tire spin in 1st gear at WOT... I'm very impressed with how the recent changes have helped the cars attitude. In general, I think the DCTA works better with suspension bushings that offer less compliance (heim > roto > rubber > poly) and stiffer spring rates, which in turn needs properly valved dampers.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 AM
Teching In

I checked Fraax...a member "Brent" has an Unbalanced Engineering decoupled torque arm for sale for over a year with no response..but I can't contact as I'm not a member and no way to find him...if you are a member could you help me with this? thanks, Richard Pryor

Last edited by SCCA70; 06-15-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SCCA70
I checked Fraax...a member "Brent" has an Unbalanced Engineering decoupled torque arm for sale for over a year with no response..but I can't contact as I'm not a member and no way to find him...if you are a member could you help me with this? thanks, Richard Pryor
I messaged you. Send me your contact info and I will pass it along for you.