Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Road Race/Auto-X Rack and Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Road Race/Auto-X Rack and Pinion

A few years ago while getting all my new k-member and front suspension ordered/installed I thought I might as well get a new rack and pinion. My OEM one was fine, it just had some surface rust and I thought a freshened up one wouldn't hurt. It looks like the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying rings true because both ones I received from RackDoctor have been lame. 1st one made a clunking sound within a few weeks, sent that one back and the second one he sent out leaks out the drivers side boot area (been doing it since a few weeks old).

I still have my OEM one and could send that into turn one or somewhere for a rebuild but is there an option out there for a better one? One with maybe a better ratio for quicker auto-x steering inputs? I quickly looked over flaming river website and they have some power road race versions but it doesn't look like they have a direct bolt in option available.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What vehicle are you working with?

Junior
Turn One
Old 10-24-2018, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by steering_experts1
What vehicle are you working with?

Junior
Turn One
2002 Camaro Z28
Old 10-24-2018, 04:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

We can definitely rebuild your rack for you. However, at this time, there are no upgrades available for your rack in terms of ratio.

Thanks!
Junior
Turn One
Old 10-25-2018, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I bought a ac Delco from Rock Auto, lifetime warranty send it in anytime.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
I bought a ac Delco from Rock Auto, lifetime warranty send it in anytime.
That's good with a lifetime warranty. Most that you can buy from many sources are rebuild OEM units for the most part it seems. Not so much worried of getting that done, I was just hoping an upgrade could be done as well. I know running sticky 315 series tires up front is very hard on the OEM style.
I am already running a TurnOne pump and would probably turn to them for a rebuild.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a custom Woodward rack in my Datsun. You specify the rack length and throw and ratio, and you can fine tune the resistance with torsion bars and hyrdaulic aperture adjustments. I called them and Tony gave me advice about what ratio the rack should be, which torsion bar to choose, etc. Mine is about 1.75x faster than stock, which means I can go through slaloms without having to move my hands on the wheel. I like it a lot.

Another idea would be to get a good stock rack rebuild and then run a circle track steering quickener.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by jmortensen
I have a custom Woodward rack in my Datsun. You specify the rack length and throw and ratio, and you can fine tune the resistance with torsion bars and hyrdaulic aperture adjustments. I called them and Tony gave me advice about what ratio the rack should be, which torsion bar to choose, etc. Mine is about 1.75x faster than stock, which means I can go through slaloms without having to move my hands on the wheel. I like it a lot.

Another idea would be to get a good stock rack rebuild and then run a circle track steering quickener.
Thanks for the info. I sent them an email and hope to hear back soon. After looking through the website it looks to be spendy but that's the price we pay sometimes for custom stuff. Again thanks for the recommendation.
On another note, how big of a difference was it jumping to a 1.75x faster? I think that would be a huge change. Did that make it dart all over on highways or road courses?
Old 10-25-2018, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
Thanks for the info. I sent them an email and hope to hear back soon. After looking through the website it looks to be spendy but that's the price we pay sometimes for custom stuff. Again thanks for the recommendation.
On another note, how big of a difference was it jumping to a 1.75x faster? I think that would be a huge change. Did that make it dart all over on highways or road courses?
It's a trailered autoxer and I have about 15 minutes behind the wheel so far, so I can't tell you how it would affect things on the road. I can guarantee that it would take some getting used to, but doesn't seem like it would be that hard to compensate for. I really like it so far. Stock Z steering was really slow. Hand over hand in slaloms. This is much better in that respect.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Been using one of the AC Delco racks for a few years, quality seems to be good. Turn one will also do a great job rebuilding yours.

I never felt the need for a faster ratio, in fact I think the ratio in a 4th gen LS car is pretty damn good compared to other performance cars I’ve driven. If you want it quicker, use a smaller steering wheel. I went from a 350mm wheel to a 330mm and I switched back to 350 because I felt it was too quick with a 330.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I'd plug Turn One. They did the 2.25 turn rack on my LT1 and they're going to get one of my LS1 racks whenever I get around to doing my LS swap. I also had them do an LT1 pump for me as well. I tried an AC Delco reman pump for my truck and it didn't last a year. IMO reman anything is garbage (water pumps, CV axles, alternators/starters. . .), a lovingly rebuilt part is far superior when someone cares about putting their name on it like T1.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah, I never heard back from that Woodward company. I most likely will send my stock one to Turn One and get it refreshed. I have been running their pump for the last few years and really like it.