Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Progress on my CMC car

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
The hubs that work with 4th gen abs is c5/early c6. They changed the reluctor count around 09 so it doesn't work which I think is around the time the ZR1 came out so probably a no-go.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that the x tracker came about because of the ZR1. They make a 31 and 33 spline version. My friend has C6 X trackers on his C5Z ST1 race car. I don't recall any ABS issues with that car. Unless 31 spline is old and 33 is new?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that the x tracker came about because of the ZR1. They make a 31 and 33 spline version. My friend has C6 X trackers on his C5Z ST1 race car. I don't recall any ABS issues with that car. Unless 31 spline is old and 33 is new?
Are you talking about the abs tooth count or the axle spline count? If the change was only the axle that would be cool because the late c6 Xtrackers are about 100 bucks less but I 2as told it's the abs count that's different. Either way I don't know what the count is and how it changed.

Edit: looks like 30 and 33 spline. 33 started in 09 and is referenced by performance rpo codes so I would guess that's ZR1.

Last edited by mikedamageinc; 08-01-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
Are you talking about the abs tooth count or the axle spline count? If the change was only the axle that would be cool because the late c6 Xtrackers are about 100 bucks less but I 2as told it's the abs count that's different. Either way I don't know what the count is and how it changed.

Edit: looks like 30 and 33 spline. 33 started in 09 and is referenced by performance rpo codes so I would guess that's ZR1.
Yes, I was referencing axle spline count. I was close. I am ABS reluctor count ignorant here.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Behold the glory of my $4 brake ducts!

So that there is a scrap of 3" exhaust pipe with some steel stock zapped onto it and a chunk of flimsy *** aluminum as the shroud. I was willing to pay a local shop for proper ducts, but they didn't quite let on how slammed they were. Shame cuz they were gonna hook me up pretty good, but for the $4 I paid on the scrap of 3" exhaust I gave at Blow Reilly's I can't complain. Got my studs swapped out the 2 car garage way instead of the spoiled *** 20 ton press way I'd become accustomed to. So tomorrow I need to nab spacers for the shields, bolt this garbage up, finish welding the broken rack mount together, and get the damned car in the trailer. There are an asston of people signed up again so showing up Saturday morning would blow for parking. It would also blow cuz I couldn't drink at the track after hours on Friday. I expect this mess will take longer than I think it will and I'll be parking this mess at midnight or later. F me I much prefer to have the pile loaded the weekend prior and not worry about the damned thing.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Have you tested to see if that fits inside the wheel? Looks like it should put some air in there though.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX
Have you tested to see if that fits inside the wheel? Looks like it should put some air in there though.
Well it fits inside the ID of the rotor hat so I know it'll fit inside the wheel. No fast guys showed up this weekend so it was like shooting fish in a barrel. The crazy thing about this sport is how one's perception of other selves affects not only their lap times, but also how they react to a faster driver approaching them. It's quite interesting to watch that individual's driving style react with time as they evolve. It's also fun to rain thunder on them. Gonna need a day or 2 to process a YouTube video with evidence, but don't think for a millisecond that I think I'm all that. I have plenty of work to do and the car needs some stuff too. It's just not as consistent as I want it to be. I've had the luxury of driving a competitor's better prepared car and I now know what I want. It won't give me that pissed the f off hero lap, but it will give me that where am I truly at as a driver lap.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

OK so I was complaining about consistency, but I think that was about as consistent of a weekend as I've ever run. The car was admittedly less bad with the knockback. Check out the lap times. The ones that are off by a second or more are instances of me dealing with competitors or traffic.

I didn't know I knew how to do that. I think I know what triggered it though, thanks Rob. I think I got out of the car both times convinced that I was running 2:08s on the last few laps, the car was greasy but I still managed to hang onto the pace. These are both R1s, R2s were slightly less consistent because it was hot as ***** and the car was trying to kill me, but the pace was still there.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Just spread my butt cheeks and shelled out for the 2 piece Stoptech rotors. Spoiler alert: they're proud of them. Now to finger out what pads those calipers take.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Got the rings, but the hats will be a real buzzer beater if they show in time. Fingers crossed. Forgot to drain the catch can last go so did it today. Looks about 12oz which is what I end up adding over the course of a weekend so I guess it's all blowby. Doesn't look all nasty though.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Did an autox/time attack event today and really got my *** kicked. The fast guys on A7s were running low 44s and I ran a 50/50/49/49/47.8. This course layout had some real counterintuitive gates. What's worse is having run the road course at this venue, so the presence of curbs messed with me bad. Excuses excuses, I know. The point is I suck at low speed stuff and this layout was all that. No accel/braking, lots of constantish speed stuff that just didn't make sense for the first 4 runs. Pretty sure I had a 46 in me but the day was over. I learn too slow. F me. The video has a 49.1 that I coned out of and my clean 47.8. This pig is a handful.

​​​​
Old 09-21-2020, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

It sounds great though! What tires were you running? A7 to anything else is usually a 4-5 second difference
Old 09-21-2020, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rentedmule
It sounds great though! What tires were you running? A7 to anything else is usually a 4-5 second difference
275/40/17 Toyo Proxes RR with 2 weekends on them. Pretty sure an RE71 would give up nothing to them.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My impression from our local events is that A7's are quite a bit better than RE71r's but I've never used either.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rentedmule
My impression from our local events is that A7's are quite a bit better than RE71r's but I've never used either.
Mine as well. I'm using the RE71 as a go between for the RR/A7 comparison.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

We might have a mutual friend in a Mr. Mike Snyder who runs a CRX, recently moved to Colorado. He makes numbers and graphics. He is at PPIR and other CO events often.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
We might have a mutual friend in a Mr. Mike Snyder who runs a CRX, recently moved to Colorado. He makes numbers and graphics. He is at PPIR and other CO events often.
I'll have to look him up. I know a Rick Snyder who left the region, that guy was FAST. He was my HPDE1 instructor once. I always checked my instructors lap times to get an idea of how much weight to put into their praise. His was taken seriously and he was one of the few who I bounced driving lines and ideas off of.

Today I fixed my shift boot. I thought that somehow the MGW stick was magically glued to the assembly and was impossible to remove based on verbiage in their website. Well someone in another section here set me straight and I finally got off my *** to do something about it.

Much better. Here you can see why reclocking the stick isn't the ordeal MGW implies it to be when you order off their site.

I fvxkin love this shifter. I probably wouldn't have even rebuilt the transmission if I'd done the shifter first, but now that I have both this thing really kicks ***.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Well, this isn't how I planned to start my weekend. . .

​​​​​Waiting for the replacement that should be inbound.

So now today's purpose is to learn the track with a 4.10. I ran a 3.73.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Damn it, smack a wall or did the axle just snap? Why not just slide a new axle in vs changing the whole rear?
Old 10-11-2020, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Man that sucks. Did you just have a complete rear with a 4.10 already in it? Also what other shifters can you compare to the MGW? I'm pretty happy with the B&M but I can only compare to stock and pro5.0, if that one is as good you say, I'm a sucker for shiney new parts!
Old 10-12-2020, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

The multiquote isn't working for me. I hit the exit rumblies and the thing just snapped right off. Looks like it had a crack in it already. When it broke, it munched the housing so I have little faith that a seal would be able to do its job hence the desire to go to a Ford 9" style axle. You'd chop a couple inches off the end of the housing to accomodate that.

I had the B&M and liked it until I realized it was the problem. For a number of years it wasn't the problem, so I think it just got wallered out. The MGW is short, stiff, notchy, and requires you to shift like a man. If you don't, you end up in neutral. I don't think I'd want to DD the MGW, it really shines when you're beating on the car. The borrowed diff was complete end to end with an Auburn that actually works. It still unloaded on the curbs a couple of times though.

Now for the 3:42 bit. I'm up in the air on this. On one hand, the car didn't respond to input and rotate like it usually does. It was pushy and usually I resolve that with the right foot. That didn't work this weekend. Part of me wants to abolish the 3:42 forever as my driving style and car setup doesn't work with it, but another part of me wonders how much faster the car could be if I could make it work. My suspicion is that the car is accelerating harder with it which is why it's pushing. Now who the hell would want to give up added acceleration? 2nd gear is so damned long I can use it in the first couple corners of a start to gain positions in traffic. But the whole thing would be a big, painful commitment and at the same time a gamble so the jury's out at the moment on a gear swap, but it is in the back of my mind.

Quick Reply: Progress on my CMC car