Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Factory tow hooks on a fourth gen -- front AND rear!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Factory tow hooks on a fourth gen -- front AND rear!

Okay, so I recently stumbled on a PDF version of a factory parts manual. You can download it here. It's Camaro-specific, but a lot of the content is applicable to Firebirds as well. There's a Firebird version around somewhere, but I don't have a working download link for it. There's a digitized approximation of it with crisper diagrams here. It's not as complete as my PDF, but it's searchable.

I was scrolling through it looking for something entirely unrelated, and I found this:

I accidentally cut off the text at the bottom; it says "1998-2002 F BUMPER/FRONT". I'm too lazy to redo the screenshot and mark it up again.

Anyway, imagine my surprise! A factory tow hook? So many threads here, on FRRAX, and on CZ28 with people asking about them, and while a few fabricated something custom and most just gave up, I didn't encounter anyone ever mentioning this. It seems that this was part of RPO code V76, but this manual normally has an RPO code listing below each illustration, but there are none for this particular illustration. My sticker does not show that code. Anyway, I can't quite make sense from the diagram exactly where this would go or how it would mount.

The next illustration down was the 98-02 rear bumper, so of course I checked that one too, and what do you know?!

There's a rear one too. Here, it seems to be RPO VR7 (also absent from my sticker), and this time there is an RPO Definitions section. There is also VR6, which is apparently a tie-down point (for trailering/transport?). Again, it is unclear to me exactly where this goes on the car.

Anyway, the part numbers are:
Front:
10213599 PLATE, FRT TOW HOOK MT: GM Parts Giant (discontinued), OEMCats (apparently not available)
10191866 HOOK, FRT TOW: GM Parts Giant (discontinued)
10255857 NUT, HRH, 10X1.5 6H THD, 21.3 OD, 9.8 THK 13 HEX DR, GRD 9, ZF (FRT TOW HOOK REINF) (8.917): GM Parts Giant
Rear:
10238267 SPACER, RR TOW HOOK (W/ SPR CLIP): GM Parts GiantThis is part 18 in the diagram. I missed this in my parts listing screenshot as well.
10247034 CLEVIS, RR TIE DOWN: GM Parts Giant
10191861 HOOK, RR TOW: GM Parts Giant
10225315 BOLT, RR TOW HOOK: GM Parts Giant (discontinued)

It looks like the rear setup is available for purchase, and not super expensive -- only the bolt is not available, and I'm sure I can figure out something to use there instead. I might try it! I'm going to keep digging a bit, but so far I have not had any luck finding any of the front parts for sale.

Has anyone else noticed this before? I sure couldn't find any evidence of this having been discussed in the past. And also, check your RPO code stickers! Does anyone have V76, VR6, or VR7? If so, can you find these parts on your car? I'd love to see a photo of them as installed.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 07-18-2023 at 09:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rentedmule (07-20-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 839 Likes on 642 Posts

I wonder if that was a tie down for export shipping?
Old 07-23-2023, 11:42 AM
Launching!

I had that thought too (for the VR6 rear tie down only; if the factory calls the part a “tow hook”, then I'm going to believe it’s a tow hook!), but I did some more searching and found an indication that at least one the parts were for the US market. If I find it again, I’ll post the link.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 09-29-2023 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very interesting
Old 12-06-2023, 03:44 PM
Launching!

I found better diagrams in the factory service manual:

It seems clear to me that these parts were only included on cars built for export, probably due to a requirement in one or more export countries that all cars include such things. It's nonetheless also possible that it was a tie down for shipping thing.

Next, I'm hoping to find (not holding my breath):
  • Photos of the actual parts
  • Photos of the actual parts installed on actual cars
  • Somebody selling the parts!
That said, it seems fairly clear what's going on with these -- the front is just a big metal hoop that comes down from the frame rail near the horn, and the rear is a big metal plate with a hole in it that comes down from the end of frame rail in the driver's side rear corner where it meets the impact bar.
The following users liked this post:
gjohnsonws6 (12-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Factory tow hooks on a fourth gen -- front AND rear!