Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Powerslots w/ street pads VS. Stock rotors and track pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powerslots w/ street pads VS. Stock rotors and track pads

Sorry for the long title but I've been wondering this for a while and thought the answers might help Chris ARE 360 out a little as well.

If someone has the nice Powerslot or some 'beefy' stock sized replacement rotors and they are their 'full time' street/daily driver brakes with regular pads... which combination would they be better off running at road racing events?

1) That combination, regular street pads and their beefy rotors

2) Their beefy (aka Powerslot, etc.) rotors and a much more aggressive track pad

3) Stock rotors and an aggressive track pad

My logic is this - I've always heard that some of the really awesome grippy pads will seriously EAT through a set of rotors. So is it better to maybe (since the replacement costs are so low) just run a stock style rotor and an aggressive pad or just go ahead and run the aggressive pads on your 'beefy' replacement (probably somewhat expensive) rotors?

Maybe I'm splitting hairs a bit but I've always been curious about this.

All this is making me want to get back to the track as soon as possible to test out my Baer's that we put on since the last event....
Old 06-17-2002, 08:06 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Powerslots w/ street pads VS. Stock rotors and track pads

I am curious as well.. I was thinking about running Hawk pads with stock rotors..
Old 06-17-2002, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would definately vote for cheap replacement rotors and track pads..

i don't think i can ever go back to street pads after running the Hawk HP+ pads.. they're awesome.. i bet the hawk blues and other track pads would be even more awesome, and most of those pads tear up rotors at certain temperatures... as for my stock pads -ugghh- i would lose my brakes after 20seconds on a 50 second autocross course

pads made all the difference in the world for me, so i have to vote for number 3
Old 06-24-2002, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree with with prockbp.

Pick up a set Autozone rotors and get an aggressive pad.

I tried a set of Hawk Blues and they dusted like crazy and chewed up my G-Stop rotors. Then I got lazy and didn't thorough;y wash the car and the brake residue adhered to my paint. Almost never got it off.

I've run the Panther Plus and Hawk Blues. I was very happy with the Panther Plus pads. But am gonna try a set of Hawk HP Plus' in July.

Quick Reply: Powerslots w/ street pads VS. Stock rotors and track pads