Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

High lift cam and road racing question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High lift cam and road racing question.

A few of my friends are trying to get me to attend a track weekend with them up in Georga, it sounds like a blast and I would love to go. I will probably have my F14 232/234 .598/.598 cam (PRC dual spring kit too) in by then, so I was wondering if its ok to road race a cam with this kind of lift. Has anyone had any problems with spring failures or anything?

The car is intended to be a street/strip car, so it won't be road raced on any sort of a regular basis, but I want to make sure it will be ok for a track weekend every now and then.

Thanks guys ,
Kevin
Old 03-25-2005, 09:57 PM
roy
TECH Resident

You shouldnt have a problem. Weve got LS1's tearing up the Autobahn with more lift and duration and they are quite happy.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks Roy, thats good to hear.

Kevin
Old 03-29-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you check your valve train prior to making a track run. You dont want any slop in there. The high lift XER cams used in the LS1's are primarily drag race designed cams. The have extremely fast ramp rates that slam your valves open and closed. Over time this will beat the dog **** out of your stuff. On a road course you are going to be seeing sustained RPMs above 5K. Not just for a 11-13 seconds but for 20-30 MINUTES.

Most dedicated road race cars use MUCH softer ramp rate cams with alot less lift but a ton of duration. Look at the ASA cam and the grand am cup cam. HUGE duration on the grand am cup cam but only a 570 lift.

I ran an X1 for a while doing a few lap days and one ORR event. It ended up beating my valve train to death.

Go out, have a good time, enjoy yourself but just make sure to throw in an extra qaurt of oil and after every session check your fluids, especially the coolant (it goes without saying but make sure its cool before you pop the cap). And if its your firt time out there, TAKE IT EASY. No need to try and be a Michael Schumacher on your first outing. Thats how cars and people get messed up.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Launching!

mine is 613 and it has survived I dumped the springs after 5000 miles I do a bunch of track days. Spin it to 6600 and it has 455 RWHP and 400 tq. All day long.

Quick Reply: High lift cam and road racing question.