Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

engine q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine q's

engine question..ok ive got the autox bug..last 2 times was a drag car now i want to try the corners..i have a 383 but its for drag.. but do any of you have suggestions as to what parts,type etc engine to run for autox..
Old 06-09-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually your 383 will be alright for auto-x because you will need all the torque you can get coming out of corners. Couple of suggestions though, you should get splayed 4 bolt main caps, for reliability and stability of your crank. Also, depending on compression you are running right now I would get it down to about 10-10.5:1 to avoid detonation and overheating with the longer races and high rpm runs. Cam wise you should be looking at something thats going to make power between 3K-6500+K. So a 240ish duration with a sub .600 lift on a 110-113LSA is right up your alley. A high volume oil pump and crankcase breather ran into your headers will be a must for longevity. ARP rod bolts and head studs are a good idea. Hardened pushrods, CNC'ed roller rockers and some XE-R lifters would be a good invesment. Ti retainers and some good quality valve locks are a good thought because you will be seeing some pretty intense rpm changes. Head-wise you should be looking for some good midrange- top end flow numbers instead of just a good peak. AFR 215 raised runner heads come to mind. Other than that and all of the bolt ons, suspension should be where your money gets spent to get the car to grip like a mother. Just my .02.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what type of auto x? solo 1 or solo 2? if your parking lot racing thats solo2 you dont need anything more than traction and a stiffer suspension. a heavily reinforced engine is not needed unless you are competing nationally. if your are doing open track days thats solo1 then youll need to make sure you run a heavier weight oil and take some more precautions to make sure the engine will survive. also with solo1 unless you are heavy into it you wont need a bullet proof engine, just one that will survive extreme temps and the RPM range your going to run in at any given track.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

yah hopefully itll be solo 1...and lucky for me i planned to have a blown engine so the lt4 is a 4 bolt main with 9.5:1 compression..and believe im blowing all my savings in a few months on everythign suspension ...and brakes..anyways..a radiator will be in order i presume? any suggestions there?..also the cma now is a pretty meaty cam its a 114 lsa..should i downgrade?..

Quick Reply: engine q's