Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Help!! AutoX Stock tire preasure

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005 | 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Default Help!! AutoX Stock tire preasure

Please help me with selecting a tire preasure for AutoX on Stock 245/50 R16 Goodyear Eagle GPS with a Max of 44psi. I would like to here some sugestions and what people are happy running with. Thanks
Old 06-29-2005 | 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

Sorry, i dont know the tire pressure, but autox in a auto will be unique, not many a4's out there (thats the only thing holding me back) but it will be hard on ur tranny, do you have any kind of aftermarket cooler? that thing is going to get hot. Let us know how it goes man!
Old 06-29-2005 | 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
Sorry, i dont know the tire pressure, but autox in a auto will be unique, not many a4's out there (thats the only thing holding me back) but it will be hard on ur tranny, do you have any kind of aftermarket cooler? that thing is going to get hot. Let us know how it goes man!
No i dont have a cooler, but I am just going to a Test N Tune to run for fun, and I just wanted to know what kind of tire preasure people were running.
Old 06-29-2005 | 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
..there are MANY automatic autox/RR'ers here..many.

check the road race forum.
Old 06-29-2005 | 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A friend of mine autocrosses an auto very successfully. And I really doubt that you'll need a cooler for a typical 40 to 60 second autocross run.

As far as your original question, the desired tire pressure depends on a lot of factors (tire size, tire construction, wheel width, suspension, camber, caster, etc.). One way is to find someone with a similar setup and ask him what pressure works. The other is to put chaulk or shoe polish on your tire where the sidewall meets the tread. Run it in the slalom and see how far the chaulk or shoe polish is scrubbed off. You don't want to go much more that about 1/2 inch down the sidewall or shoulder of the tire. If you are scrubbing too much off, then raise the pressure. If you are not scrubbing enough off, then lower the pressure. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help!! AutoX Stock tire preasure