Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Newbie Autocross ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Newbie Autocross ?'s

I've been to a couple autocross events but this weekend I plan on running my car along with a couple buddies(1 in an str-4 and 1 with a STI). What i really was wondering what class I would run in. I have Subframes(which i believe automatically puts me in street Mod), lca's, panhard rod, strut tower brace, springs and shocks. Now i am a complete newbie when it comes to autocross so I figure I can just not say anything about the Subframes but will all my other mods still put me in street mod, or will i be able to run in like class B or whatever a stock Z28 runs in?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

The LCA's kick you out of ESP (as do the subframe connectors). Your choices are CP, 300-600 hp cars on full slicks (pony cars though, I've run cp in my daily driver before), SM (full of AWD cars running tons of boost) or SM2 (usually corvettes, CRX's and other things and in some areas, slower than SM). I am running SM2 this year myself. Those are where you can legally run (off the top of my head).
Old 10-21-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damit thats what i figured. I really don't want to run SM since i will get whooped bad. The guy with the STI is one of the awd tons of boost guys should be putting over 400 to the wheels on 100 octane, he just got it finished up with the new turbo setup. What exactly is SM2, are there certain restriction for the class that differ from SM?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

SM2 is a faster class than SM. It's for 2 seaters (Corvettes, MR2's, CRX's, etc) and SM cars that are over 6 liters or anyone who runs SM and wants to step up. It's considered a faster class (and may or may not be, depending on your local area).