Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

new to autocross...looking for some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new to autocross...looking for some help

I'm looking into getting into autox, right now i'm driving an 02' SS but thats my baby and isnt what im going to be racing with. I'm thinking of getting an rx7 or 300zx twin turbo, mr2 turbo something along those lines. I just need to know what to expect when i start this, how the classes work, how competitive it is, if you can actually win any money doing this or any other advice you may have. Thanks...
Old 11-03-2005, 05:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by kws87
I'm looking into getting into autox, right now i'm driving an 02' SS but thats my baby and isnt what im going to be racing with. I'm thinking of getting an rx7 or 300zx twin turbo, mr2 turbo something along those lines. I just need to know what to expect when i start this, how the classes work, how competitive it is, if you can actually win any money doing this or any other advice you may have. Thanks...

Just go try it first. Make sure you like it. Then get a rulebook, read it and don't try and get creative with the rules. Watch and learn as much as you can. Realize that the driver is the biggest go fast goodie there is.

There are categories of car prep. Stock, Street Touring, Street Prepared, Prepared, Modified and Street Modified.

Stock is very limited changes. You can change shocks, but not springs, ride height or rear swaybars (front bars are free). Wheels have to be OEM size, but tires are free as long as they are DOT approved. Brake pads can be changed, but no drilled or bigger rotors, stainless lines, etc. No headers, no intakes, etc. Cat-backs are legal.

Street Touring is a step up that allows more suspension work, headers (with cats), seats, different intakes, tires have to be DOT legal, but meet a minimum treadwear requirement.

Street Prepared is beyond ST. Wheels are unlimited, tires have to be DOT legal, but any size. Headers without cats, intakes are free, heads can be match 1" in, differentials are free in the stock axle, drilled/slotted rotors if you want, but have to be OEM size/calipers.

Prepared is where you start getting nuts. Tube frames, gutted cars, road-race slicks, build engines......

Mod is very much open. You can drop a small block Chevy or turbo 3-rotor in a Lotus 7 if you want. Formula Atlantics run in mod.

Street Mod is Street Prepared plus. Some engine swaps, light body panels, big brakes, etc.

Then in each of those categories there are classes that types of cars fall in.
Z06's run Super Stock. S2000's and C4 Vettes run A-stock. MR2 Turbo's are B-stock (and we have a VERY fast & setup 1995 MR2T for sale). Won many National events this year.... Miata's are CS, Type R's and BMW 330's are DS, 91-95 MR2 non-turbo's are ES, f-bodies and Stangs are F-stock, and so on down through H-Stock.

This goes on through the rest of the categories. But an F-stock car typically runs ESP, but some go to other places. The SS Z06's run ASP. This is one reason for a rulebook and to just hang around. You learn a lot by osmosis.

If you run a car that pays money, and are really good (I mean GOOD), you might break even. You won't make money, and none in any of the cars you mentioned above, of which only the Toyota is competitive.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-25-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sam,
Thanks!! I received a set of F/R Strano Sway Bars few weeks ago and looks nice ..
Sam,I happened to read your comment of your topic related---.

"There are categories of car prep. Stock, Street Touring, Street Prepared, Prepared, Modified and Street Modified."

Is that for SCCA's guideline or rule? NAPA Pro Racing? What name of the orgination in that "Car Prepared classes" you said? Because I just join to SCCA next year. I am new to SCCA.
Thanks, Dusty Smith
Old 12-27-2005, 05:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Those are SCCA categories, then there are sub-classes in each category. A 93-02 Z28 runs F-Stock, Street Touring Unlimited, E-Street Prepared (where I run most of the time), C-Prepared, and then usually E-Mod. You'll get killed in any type of street driveable car in anything more than ESP.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

I wouldn't expect to win any money... if you are able to get some sponsorship (very difficult) for the upgrade parts you will need and get them at a discount or even free consider yourself lucky.

You should try road racing. SCCA or NASAProRacing.com plus many others offer HPDE (HiPerfDriverEd) days which are a blast. Autox lasts typically 1 minute and then you wait around for an hour or two to do another pass....

Road racing you normally get 4 or 5 (20 minute each) sessions for a few more bucks. Try AutoX one weekend and then Road Racing after that. I guarantee you will forget about AutoX altogether.

RX-7's with upgraded suspension, good tires, and upgraded brake pads make for awesome road race cars on a budget. I was chasing Sti/Evo/Carrera4's all in the twisties... in the straights it was another story as n/a RX-7's have only about 140hp.... but weigh around 2600-2800lbs.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Only wacky autox clubs run in such a way that you make one run and wait an hour for the next one. Of course, even then, it's no different than drag racing. But, most clubs run in heats where you make all your runs in one session with maybe 5-25 minutes between them depending on how big the region you are racing with is/how many folks are at the even.... FWIW.

The local region here (middle of nowhere PA) is small and because of that we get 5 runs competition, 5 more in fun run heats if you want. And we're out of there, packed up and gone by 4-5 pm (first runs @ 11:30).
Old 12-28-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I will try that events when I attend to SCCA.

Quick Reply: new to autocross...looking for some help