Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

FRC Vette or Full Suspension F-body? Will be a noncompetitive street/roadcourse car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest you go the FRC route. Learn how to drive it in stock form and then make your mods. The tracks you run will dictate the path to take with the mods. One suggestion for cat back is the stock Z06 TI exhaust. Saves weight, can be had for 350 to 400 and, unless you go to a Corsa TI race exhaust, will make better power. I run a stock FRC with the TI exhaust at time trials and I can stay with the Z06 on technical cources like Gingerman and Autobahn but run 2-3 seconds slower on cources with Looooong straights like Grataan. In autocrosses, it is usually 50/50. These are on stock tires. The FRC trans has better range on many courses and thus requires fewer shifts. You shouid be able to have 400+ hp and money left over for a season of wheels and tires when comparing to a good streetable track car FRC vs an equal Z06.

t
Old 01-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Launching!

How did I miss this thread? Guess I haven't been over to this forum in awhile.How is it going Carlos? If you can find an FRC do it. Even a C5 coupe would be alot of fun at Sebring, Moroso and Homstead tracks. You don't even really need to mod the engine right away on the roadcoarse. Last time out at Sebring I was just a tick or so away from 150 on the longest straight out of T16 and my brakes were fine even on 20 to 30 min. sessions. I use the stock calipers with Motul 600 and Cobalt Friction Spec VR without any issues other than going thru rotors every other track day.

If I were to do it over again, I would save the money I spent on the motor, bought a trailer and saved for a forged short block (402).

Z06 trans is not the greatest for the roadcoarse as most WC guys use the M6 for better gearing. Here is a good read further down the page about the trans.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...82&forum_id=23

As for tracking your Saab, why not? Bracke pads and fluid is all you really need for your first few track days.

Derek
Old 01-07-2006, 01:11 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
I would suggest you go the FRC route. Learn how to drive it in stock form and then make your mods. The tracks you run will dictate the path to take with the mods. One suggestion for cat back is the stock Z06 TI exhaust. Saves weight, can be had for 350 to 400 and, unless you go to a Corsa TI race exhaust, will make better power. I run a stock FRC with the TI exhaust at time trials and I can stay with the Z06 on technical cources like Gingerman and Autobahn but run 2-3 seconds slower on cources with Looooong straights like Grataan. In autocrosses, it is usually 50/50. These are on stock tires. The FRC trans has better range on many courses and thus requires fewer shifts. You shouid be able to have 400+ hp and money left over for a season of wheels and tires when comparing to a good streetable track car FRC vs an equal Z06.

t
Thanks for the input!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:20 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by apexman
How did I miss this thread? Guess I haven't been over to this forum in awhile.How is it going Carlos? If you can find an FRC do it. Even a C5 coupe would be alot of fun at Sebring, Moroso and Homstead tracks. You don't even really need to mod the engine right away on the roadcoarse. Last time out at Sebring I was just a tick or so away from 150 on the longest straight out of T16 and my brakes were fine even on 20 to 30 min. sessions. I use the stock calipers with Motul 600 and Cobalt Friction Spec VR without any issues other than going thru rotors every other track day.

If I were to do it over again, I would save the money I spent on the motor, bought a trailer and saved for a forged short block (402).

Z06 trans is not the greatest for the roadcoarse as most WC guys use the M6 for better gearing. Here is a good read further down the page about the trans.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...82&forum_id=23

As for tracking your Saab, why not? Bracke pads and fluid is all you really need for your first few track days.

Derek
Hey Derek!

Yes, I'm drawing up plans to do another project. I got rid of the POS 5.0 (was far from trackable) and I'm looking to do another lsx ride.
Honestly, right now I'm leaning '98-'99 Fbod, as that's what I'm gonna have funds for ('98's are as low as $7K these days). C5's are still a little out of reach.
I'm getting a little carried away thinking about internals (I've been on the phone with ET Performance, TEA, Thunder, Cam Motion, Futral regarding heads and cam). And I'm waiting 'till actually getting my hands on a car before calling someone like Sam Strano who has chimed in on this thread about getting the car to dial in suspension wise.
Right now, everything is just in the planning phase and shall remain so for a few more months.
As for tracking the Saabaru, I've thought about it very much but I can't risk a run-off and any subsequent damage. Also, I'm through with racing/tracking/modding anything that's my daily driver due to any downtime for repairs & maintenance.
Hope to see you around! Enjoy that sweet FRC.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Dave is totally right. A late model stock car is safer, handles better, and will qualify for very competitive road racing. I obtained one for about what Dave mentioned plus a bunch of spares. Much safer--40 years of NASCAR safety developments went into the car. Far better than converting a street car and a whole lot more fun!!

If stuck on F or Y body, get 'em both! Abraham Lincoln, an American genius once said: "You can't have too many race cars!"

Steve

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Just as an aside, if you want a track only car a NEW rolling

chassis for a road racing setup late model stock car is less than $15k. Not only do you get all the good parts, plus suspension adjustable for mounting points (change your geometry on the fly), it is a lot safer and easier and less expensive to repair after a wreck.

You may even be able to find a used perimeter frame car (needed for road racing) for under $10k, or around $15k ready to run.

Last edited by steve-d; 01-07-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Launching!

BTW, I run a 5.5 inch Tilton clutch in my race car. Here's my website showing it "Hunting Some Deer" at Road Atlanta, among other pics.

http://www.prostopperformance.com/default.htm

Steve
Old 01-07-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, what class do you run on a road course?
Old 01-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Launching!

I race here:

http://www.stockcarroadrace.com/

Professional series. Wait for a check after placing in top five. Not a bad way to spend your w'end!!!

Great group too! I like it better than the V8Stock Car Road Racing Series. They don't pay and it's too much like club racing. I ran away from the SCCA b/o the club aspects and the overly regulated nature of the organization. We have a blast. I was fortunate to come in 2n in points this last year. Hoping to do as well this year.

What group do you run with?

Steve
Old 01-08-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Saturday night stock car racing generally the back gate (pit admissions) pays the purse and the front gate (general admissions) runs the track. There is no entrance fee, but it can cost $30-50 per person for pit admissions, including the driver.

SCCA charges an entrance fee including driver and 3/4 crew. No purse.

How does your group pay the purse?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Purse paid by Series Sponsors and entrance fees. Entry fees for Th - Sun can be $500. Some may say its a bunch of money, but what would a three day DE cost?

We run at Dayton, Road Atlanta, Sebring, VIR, BeeveRun, Lowes, Roebling Road and others I can't think of. Not Oval Asphalt racing. I have nothing against that type of Racing, I've never tried it. But from what I've heard, you can go from one track and get a wrinkled up car to another track only to get another wrinkled up car. A friend does it and he's gone thru a lot of sheet metal.

Running these courses in competition can be life threatening--too much adrenelin and grin!

Ever give any thought to converting your car to a neutral one that turns right and left?

Steve

Quick Reply: FRC Vette or Full Suspension F-body? Will be a noncompetitive street/roadcourse car.