Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Going to Daytona 24 hr.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005 | 01:28 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Default Going to Daytona 24 hr.

As a spectator.

I have driven the actual 24 hr. course however, and I can't wait to see the race in person. Threshold braking into into roadcourse turn 1 and later, at the bus stop are hair raising experiences.

Any board members gonna participate or spectate?
Old 12-29-2005 | 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Im going to be inDaytona in a few weeks not for the 24hr though stupid test on the 2.5 frickin hate it.....
Old 01-07-2006 | 11:09 PM
tc3
On The Tree

ive been going their every year for the past couple of years... That is the single most greatest race to be a spectator. Camp out in the infield and bring some stuff for barbeque and whatnot. Theirs always events during the whole week, like car shows and last year they even had a drive in type movie display of the rockie horror picture show.

And from what i hear their is supposed to be a surprise driver on the wayne taylor suntrust team.

But being in the infield is always so great... going right their into the garage with them during the middle of everything. or by the pit lane enterance where they do fast repairs...

simply something that everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime...

edit: and what does it take to be able to participate in this kind of racing?
Old 01-08-2006 | 10:40 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I think this year is going to be a break through year for the event.
Old 01-09-2006 | 05:26 PM
On The Tree

I'll be watching the event on SpeedTV so make sure you wave.
I'm assuming that you guys are in the infield. What corners are the best to watch at?
Some year I will make it down there and watch, I'm just not that interested if there isn't more american cars in the hunt. I know the prototypes run LSX based motors and the GTO did well in the GT class. But really between the prototypes and 911's that's 90% of the field. The acton is great I just wish there was more diversity.
When team Corvette won overall in 01 it was awsome, I know the field was weak but it was cool watching for 24 hours. Too bad SpeedTV shortened there coverage to 12 hours, I really liked watching at night, that's were the action is.
Have a good time I'll be watching for ya.
Old 01-09-2006 | 06:47 PM
Launching!

Should be some great racing you lucky dog
Old 01-09-2006 | 08:29 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT-4Play
I'll be watching the event on SpeedTV so make sure you wave.
I'm assuming that you guys are in the infield. What corners are the best to watch at?
Some year I will make it down there and watch, I'm just not that interested if there isn't more american cars in the hunt. I know the prototypes run LSX based motors and the GTO did well in the GT class. But really between the prototypes and 911's that's 90% of the field. The acton is great I just wish there was more diversity.
When team Corvette won overall in 01 it was awsome, I know the field was weak but it was cool watching for 24 hours. Too bad SpeedTV shortened there coverage to 12 hours, I really liked watching at night, that's were the action is.
Have a good time I'll be watching for ya.
Turn 1 (left turn right after the pits, just off the front straight) is where people have to brake hard, coming off their WOT runs, into a tight left hand turn. If you come in hard, you traditionally tend to /want to stay to the right to open up your radius. In this case, that's not a good thing, as there's a crown on the road right there and by approaching wide, you just slide right off the track due to the subtle slope to the shoulder. Hehehe.

The "Bus Stop" chicance (between NASCAR 2 and 3 on the back straight) is your other hard threshold braking zone into a 3rd gear chicane. Lots of speed carried thru there.

Since Grand Am now has the NASCAR juggernaught backing it, things look promising. The driver entries are definately somehting you should take a look at. It's very star studded.
Old 01-11-2006 | 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
As a spectator.

I have driven the actual 24 hr. course however, and I can't wait to see the race in person. Threshold braking into into roadcourse turn 1 and later, at the bus stop are hair raising experiences.

I'm gonna try and go man. I've gone every year almost, my whole life, except for the past two years. Maybe this year, i'll make it.

Either way, have a blast man. Worlds best raceing, right there. Sebring as well.
Old 01-15-2006 | 10:58 PM
On The Tree

I will be watching on speed channel, hoping Leighton Reese, Tommy Archer,Dino Cresentini and Russ Oasis can get a podium finish with their corvette,should be interesting there are fast GTOs and a bunch of Porsches...
Old 01-16-2006 | 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
As a spectator.

your going to have a lot of fun at the race! last time i went (couple years) was to watch my dad race in it, its an awesome race
Old 01-16-2006 | 11:24 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
your going to have a lot of fun at the race! last time i went (couple years) was to watch my dad race in it, its an awesome race
That's quite an honor!
I know you can basically buy your way into a slot (I'm not implying in any way that your dad did), but nevertheless, it's a damn honor to be able to run in that race. My dream is to sit for one little stint.
Old 01-17-2006 | 01:13 AM
Banned

I'll be there camping out in the infield for the first time, i've been going fo the past 6 years but just watching the beginning in the grandstands and stay until it gets dark, go home then come back for the end of the race...actually staying for the whole thing! I will also be participating in my 15th Sebring this year!

Quick Reply: Going to Daytona 24 hr.