Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Aerodynamics of Fbodys and their effect on High speeds - Top speed of Fbody's

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

[
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"the c4 vette in stock form didn't do that speed (was aero limited) around 130 the front tires leave the ground (the few f bodies that have doen it at bonneville are full race cars with a full belly pan)"

I never knew the c4 vette came with a 30x30 airbrake that was on at all times.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by thebufenator
I work in Com/Nav for the Airforce, and know this is not accurate.
Back in the day, to get full accuracy out of GPS, you had to have a special serial code transmitted to the satellites. Without it, the data sent to the GPS unit was always purposly a little off. That way, the military had the most precision. Awhile back they did away with that. Now all you need is an accurate GPS handheld. Heck, we got old systems in our aircraft, but its as accurate as our INS system with laser-ring gyros.

BS!!!

they had at it at +-3 yards to keep soviet missiles from directly hitting our missile silos (that was the diference between disabling them)
Old 04-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I've heard ram air hoods develope a harmonic at ~190 & descintigrate
Originally Posted by djsanchez2
That is interesting, why would you suppose they do this?
I'm no expert, but this is my explanation.

Obvious:
The difference between a regular hood and a WS6 hood is the ram air nostrils.

Geometry:
The nostrils stick out of the hood and change the air envelope.

Science:
1. Sound is waves moving in air at 1 atm(atmospheric pressure). Whale songs can be heard miles away because there is more pressure in water. Earthquakes can be detected on the other side of the world because the waves move through (solid) rock. (more solid = stronger waves)

2. Waves collide and add to each other. Sometimes they cancel, but sometimes they amplify 2x.

3. When compressed, air can become firm (like a tire).

4. The air in front of the nostrils builds up and builds pressure. (a lot of air is being pushed at 190mph)

5. Air flaps (like open window on highway), causing waves. Those waves collide and add (called constructive interference) and probably send shock waves into your hood. Something breaks and the hood opens or the nostrils break into pieces or.... you get the picture

"Harmonic" is another word for "oscillation of waves"

I'm no expert, but this is how I would suspect it happens.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

^^Thanks.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I want to see a ram air hood blow up at 190+MPH!! That would scare the crap out of me!

Any updates on what this tool is saying?
Old 05-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Launching!

You don't need a tool, just go full throttle on a closed course. I'll give you 50 cool points if you make it to 195mph and video tape it.

Easiest way to hit 195mph is to take a full out 8 or 9 second drag T/A, slap on a ram air hood, and find more than a 1/4 slab of concrete. I suggest an airport runway if you can get on one. It'll be nice and wide and probably over a mile long.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shock Hawk
You don't need a tool, just go full throttle on a closed course. I'll give you 50 cool points if you make it to 195mph and video tape it.

Easiest way to hit 195mph is to take a full out 8 or 9 second drag T/A, slap on a ram air hood, and find more than a 1/4 slab of concrete. I suggest an airport runway if you can get on one. It'll be nice and wide and probably over a mile long.
Opps, sorry I didn't mean the "tool" statement towards you . What I meant was has the tool in the original thread said anymore crap?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years back I read an article about the 2002 CE Trans Am vert Daytona 500 pace car. It maxed out at 180mph on the track.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Launching!

I've gotten to warp two in my TA but I had to reconfigure the dilitheum crystal chamber from stock to do it.

No but I rember when I first got my cammed LS1 I hit 145 in a heartbeat and had plenty left in it. I think I had just shifted into 5th gear but I backed off. Big difference from my A4 LT1 I tell you. I had to stroke the dash and give the car compliments to coax it up past 140 on a good cool night. I wonder how much mph the popup headlights drain on a stock TA at topspeed? That would be interesting to find out.

Quick Reply: Aerodynamics of Fbodys and their effect on High speeds - Top speed of Fbody's