Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Third Gen F-Bodys good for road racing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006 | 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Default Third Gen F-Bodys good for road racing?

i dont really want to buy an ls1 trans am for road racing because they are expensive to build up and i hear the dont make the best road cars. i want to start road racing but only for fun. would a third gen trans am do well? id swap in a six speed and build the motor to about 400-450 horse. do wheels and full suspension. what do you guys think? how well would a third gen do?
Old 05-29-2006 | 09:45 PM
Launching!
15 Year Member

A third gen would be a great choice. I loaded up my GTA and it handles like its on rails. But keep in mind that these cars are getting older now and many are going to have squeeks, rattles and rust. But if you find a good example and with those ideas I think it would dominate!
Old 05-31-2006 | 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm building my '91 Z28 for road racing. LS1/T56 swap. I don't know if I am going to be able to get the thing as low as I want though. There is NO room under the car for exhaust with a low ride height. Other than that, all the suspension stuff is out there...just depends on how far you want to take it. I'm going a little extreme with mine, which makes it hard to find parts (I basically want a GT class race car that I can drive on the street). Functional aero parts don't seem to exist, so I will probably make my own. I'm not planning to race in any particular class either. I just want it maxed out because I can. So you might want to keep that in mind as you pick what modifications you do. Some classes are very limited. These cars handles great to begin with (better than 4th gen IMO). Good luck to you.
Old 06-01-2006 | 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

The car in my signature is for sale (LS1/T56 FD RX-7). It will come with stock rims/brakes/stock sway bar and Toyo RA1's.

It needs paint and some interior work; however hauls *** on the track. I'm selling it as more of a streetable race car as it isn't a show car and some things don't work (ie a/c, ABS, some other small items). I've put 20K street miles on it and it won the best handling car (1.13'gs) in Sport Compact Car Magazine's Ultimate Street Car Challenge. It is totally reliable.

http://207.127.219.37/scc.htm

$22K obo

Only thing you need is big brakes and some 18x10 CCW's with race tires to push this car HARD.

Quick Reply: Third Gen F-Bodys good for road racing?