Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Racing seat and 5 point to 7 point harness questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Racing seat and 5 point to 7 point harness questions?

I'm looking into a seat to use in a project car that will be autocrossed and some road racing type applications so I'd like to find an affordable and comfortable seat. I've looked into the Corbeau Forza for it seems like a nice racing seat for the money. I'm wondering, does anybody else know of others they'd recommend around that price range? (Budget in the $200 to $400 price range lets say)

Also, is there any 5 point to 7 point harnesses you'd recommend going with? (I've been surfing around and found some G-Force harnesses that seemed to be okay.) Is the 5 point enough and what is the advantage of like a 7 point?

Thanks!

Ted
Old 05-30-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Research your seat choices.

A lot of "racing seats" are in fact tube frame with a messh inner and cloth covering. Because "racing seats" are more designed for weight and not so much crash tested, sanctioning bodies REQUIRE a seat back brace.

Can't attach a seat back brace to a tube framed seat and not create more dnager for the driver than not having one.

Check with your sanctioning body and make sure.

Now, having said that ... Ultra-Sheild makes a very nice and affordable all aluminum racing seat.

Harnesses ...

The 5th, 6th and 7th points are all variations to keep you from submarining in case of a frontal collision.

Pay very close attention to the "buckling" design. Some are a LOT more convenient that others.

I have a Sabelt 6pt and it's very easy to buckle. It has a metal, triangular piece that buckles into the cam-lock like the other 4 points. But this meatl piece has 2 seperate straps that attach under the seat to keep the legs stabilized during competition and act as a sub belt if needed.

The Simpson Platinum 6pt has the sub straps fed through D rings and then buckle. It's not a lot, but can be a little irritating and requires a specific routine when buckling in....
Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Research your seat choices.

A lot of "racing seats" are in fact tube frame with a messh inner and cloth covering. Because "racing seats" are more designed for weight and not so much crash tested, sanctioning bodies REQUIRE a seat back brace.

Can't attach a seat back brace to a tube framed seat and not create more dnager for the driver than not having one.

Check with your sanctioning body and make sure.

Do you by chance know if these Corbeau's have a seat back brace on them?

http://www.corbeau.com/products/forza/forza.shtml

Now, having said that ... Ultra-Sheild makes a very nice and affordable all aluminum racing seat.
I take it you are talking ones these:

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=7

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=8

If so, they aren't that badly priced so thanks for the suggestion. Have you sat in them before, are they pretty comfortable? (within reason, I know it's not a lazy boy by any means)

Harnesses ...

The 5th, 6th and 7th points are all variations to keep you from submarining in case of a frontal collision.

Pay very close attention to the "buckling" design. Some are a LOT more convenient that others.

I have a Sabelt 6pt and it's very easy to buckle. It has a metal, triangular piece that buckles into the cam-lock like the other 4 points. But this meatl piece has 2 seperate straps that attach under the seat to keep the legs stabilized during competition and act as a sub belt if needed.

The Simpson Platinum 6pt has the sub straps fed through D rings and then buckle. It's not a lot, but can be a little irritating and requires a specific routine when buckling in....
That's the biggest thing that confuses me is the buckling of the harnesses. I'll have to look into what you speak of above and see if I can figure out what the differences are. I assume it comes down to preferences of what the person using them is wanting to work with.

My assumption is the 5th strap is there to keep you from submarining and it also holds the other 4 points from going up to high as well. The 6 point is a varation of the 5 point where there's two straps that go between the legs but are further apart than the single 5th strap. The 7th is a combo of the 6th and the 5th submarining strap? I hope that made sense for that's what my thoughts are on it so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, also, do you have to have a special seat to use a 6 point or 7 point harness? It seems that most seats speak of being able to be used with a 5 point harness.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Forza is in fact a tubular frame seat.

We used the US Pro Road Race seat in the latest CMC car. It's a very comfortable seat.

Don't discount the Butler. It's a great seat.

I use Ultra-Shield because they are local and will build to fit me with THEM taking the measurements.

The 7th point (I guess as I've never seen or used one) is as you describe. I hope someone reads this and chimes in for clarification.

An advantage to having a seat "made to fit" is that the holes are where you feed the belts through are also, located at the best possible place. The angles where the belts wrap around you are EXTREMELY important.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

I have had a Butlerbuilt seat since I have started racing big cars and they are just all around the best seat made. I mean look at the facts 90% of nascars drivers use them so they must be good. Here is a pic of mine..... Click here
AJ
www.ajfulgenzi.com
Old 05-30-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by raceking33
I have had a Butlerbuilt seat since I have started racing big cars and they are just all around the best seat made. I mean look at the facts 90% of nascars drivers use them so they must be good. Here is a pic of mine..... Click here
AJ
www.ajfulgenzi.com
Sweet deal man! I wasn't trying to discount them or anything like that, was just wanting to know why you liked them and your experience with them.

Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 05-30-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Forza is in fact a tubular frame seat.

We used the US Pro Road Race seat in the latest CMC car. It's a very comfortable seat.

Don't discount the Butler. It's a great seat.

I use Ultra-Shield because they are local and will build to fit me with THEM taking the measurements.
Guess that's two seat manf. to look into then.

Butler is up in NC so maybe they wouldn't be that bad of a drive to get to from Georgia.

Ted
Old 05-30-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, I see ... Butler is one of your sponsors. That's sweet. I'm not sure I would go as far as to say they are the best seat all around. They certainly have their niche.

I sat in a Sparco CF seat the other day and it was nice and only weighed 4 lbs.

I've got a welding supply business as a sponsor. I haven't had to buy any gas, wheels, rods or wire in almost 2 years.

Now if I could get a steel tubing supplier on board ....
Old 05-30-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 171 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a brand new in the box Sparco REV Plus seat that is 1 year old and (2) brand new recertified (never used them) Simpson (black) camlock 5 point belts.

You need to be a 33" waist or smaller to fit in the Sparco; however it holds you tight. $450 for the seat and comes with aluminum seat mounts.

PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Launching!

I've got the Kirkey Roadrace Deluxe and am very happy with them. 5pts. are being phased out by a lot of sanctioning bodies as they have been deemed unsafe. Here is a picture of what a NASCAR 6 pt. looks like before the optional 7th point down the center.
Schroth NASCAR Formula III

I'm running these exact belts with the optional 7th point and am happy with them. Yeah, they take a few seconds more to get into, but from all the reading I've done, they are the safest if you can pair them with a proper seat and mounting.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this may sound pretty basic but can somebody explain to me the different ways the belts buckle together? I see some talk about cam design, latch design etc...? I'm wondering what the differences are. I've used some harnesses before, just don't know what I was using I guess.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2006, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Latch Link is an aircraft kind of design where you put all the ends onto a "post" and then with a bail and latch type setup, locks them all together.

A camlock has a "puck" that all the ends snap into very much like a standard automotive belt.

I've used both and both are just fine. I do use camlock in my cars now, though.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Latch Link is an aircraft kind of design where you put all the ends onto a "post" and then with a bail and latch type setup, locks them all together.

A camlock has a "puck" that all the ends snap into very much like a standard automotive belt.

I've used both and both are just fine. I do use camlock in my cars now, though.
Is there any advantage to how fast you can get out of them? I assume on the Latch Link one that once latch is let go all the belts can free up pretty quickly. Depending on how the camlock set-up is designed though I assume a person might be able to release all of the belts by pushing a button maybe?

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

The camlocks are a lot faster to get out of just because right when you pull down on the handle all the belts release and IMO the camlocks down tend to grab on to you as much when getting in and out of the car. The idea of getting out of the car really fast is in case you are on fire you wont get burned or stuck in the car.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What is the difference between the pull down and up listed on the belts? Is it the direction that you pull on the belts to tighten them that they are speaking of?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Camlocks are a little neater and a little easier to manipulate. But I don't think one is appreciably faster than the other at getting out of. It's all about comfort and familiarity.

pull up vs pull down ...

You are correct in your description. I didn't like pull up lap belts because of the "tail" flopping around in my lap. It just annoyed and distracted me. I use pull down lap belts as well as pull down shoulder belts.

But just like a seat, belts, wheel placement, pedal placement, window net type and latch placement ... it's all personal preference. You will learn what works best for you.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

^^^^^ amen
Old 05-31-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Camlocks are a little neater and a little easier to manipulate. But I don't think one is appreciably faster than the other at getting out of. It's all about comfort and familiarity.

pull up vs pull down ...

You are correct in your description. I didn't like pull up lap belts because of the "tail" flopping around in my lap. It just annoyed and distracted me. I use pull down lap belts as well as pull down shoulder belts.

But just like a seat, belts, wheel placement, pedal placement, window net type and latch placement ... it's all personal preference. You will learn what works best for you.
Thanks for all the info! I rode in some Panoz race cars last year at the Year One Experience and I think they were pull down and that felt like the ones I'd like to go with. I think they had a latch system on them though, my brother rode in them as well and he might remember if it was a cam locking system or not.

I looked around some and I think I understand what you are talking about in regards to the 5th and 6th point on the Simpson harnesses. All you have to on yours is click in the metal piece into the cam that both of them are attached to but on the Simpson one you have to take the 5th one up into a D ring and then over to the cam, and the same with the 6th, right? One thought that came to mind is that would the Simpson one give you some more adjustablity with where the 5th and 6th ones end up at on the top for you can adjust the D rings left and right some?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by raceking33
^^^^^ amen
Thanks for mentioning Butler. With them being so close I might be able to just drive up on to there and sit in the seats and see what I think and maybe even get them to adjust some things on the seat to fit me better if it's not to expensive.

Quick Reply: Racing seat and 5 point to 7 point harness questions?