Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Tightest Posi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:50 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The only and I mean ONLY knock you can toss towards the Torsen is when placed under EXTREMELY high instant shock loads they can fail. As in 6k RPM clutch dumps on slicks. The way the worm gears transfer torque puts a spreading pressure on the case which can lead to trouble.

I personally have never seen a Torsen fail I have only read a couple of posts about it so take that as you will.

And Sam... I believe the original Humvee also uses a Torsen if I am not mistaken. No pre load either
Old 10-30-2006, 10:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

The GM unit does NOT have springs, regardless of what the site says. Ok? I promise. There is a reason the T2R has become almost the standard for competition cars, because it works. Just works.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-30-2006, 10:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

The Hummer diff is in the center, where you can't exactly unload one end. The truck can't just stand on it's front or rear wheels only. Very different than what happens with a solid rear axle.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-30-2006, 05:49 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

There is a reason the T2R has become almost the standard for competition cars, because it works. Just works.
Werd.

Didnt the hummers have some kind of traction control/managment sytem too?

In fact wasn't the original Torsen developed for the Humvee? Maybe someone knows for certain I dunno. Regardless Torsen is quality built with excellent functionality.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, their computer "traction control" would detect when a wheel had been lifted and apply the brake to that wheel which gave torque to the other wheel. Pretty slick.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was a fun and informative thread. Thanks 2 all who put in!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cam
The only and I mean ONLY knock you can toss towards the Torsen is when placed under EXTREMELY high instant shock loads they can fail. As in 6k RPM clutch dumps on slicks. The way the worm gears transfer torque puts a spreading pressure on the case which can lead to trouble.
AGREED. You have just as much a chance to shatter a 10 bolt ring and pinion with a drag race tire and the requisite 450+ rwtq and drag race suspension setup to do a < 1.5 sec. 60' launch, as you have to crack the T2R's case. But, as stated, that's NOT what this diff (nor a 7.5/6 10 bolt axle) is designed to do, so simply just don't use it for that purpose.

What I did not realize is how bad people are saying it is in the wet. Are road racers (and autocrossers) forced to use a radical wet tire (like the Hoosier DOT Sports Car Wets) with a T2R in the rain??
Old 11-02-2006, 08:13 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

AGREED. You have just as much a chance to shatter a 10 bolt ring and pinion with a drag race tire and the requisite 450+ rwtq and drag race suspension setup to do a < 1.5 sec. 60' launch, as you have to crack the T2R's case. But, as stated, that's NOT what this diff (nor a 7.5/6 10 bolt axle) is designed to do, so simply just don't use it for that purpose.
True but I feel I may have misrepresented myself a little earlier... Given the choice between risking a stock 7.5" 10 bolt even if it had bolt in axle upgrades and a super duper carrier heck even a spool vs a 31 spline 8.8 Ford with Torsen???

I'd put my money on the Torsen. The overall quality and craftsmanship is really evident to anyone who even looks at one of those carriers. Top shelf and U.S.A made all the way!

But i have to admit a lot of what i know about their goods and bads is what i have read in other posts on numerous forums online so take that as you will.

I use a Torsen and in my opinion Torsens are the best carrier option right now bar none especially for road/auto cross running.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My T-2R came in a Japanese lettered box. So I don't know
about the USA made bit.

Also don't know why people think the T-2R is bad in the rain,
other than what I said about being able to break both loose
and losing directional control as a result. But the same is
true of a spool or a tight clutch type rear. It's really on you
to drive below the adhesion limit (whatever the conditions)
or stick with a lower torque bias and have it done for you.

What is this rain complaint about?
Old 11-03-2006, 01:33 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

about the USA made bit.
DOH! I fel dum now

Dang and I thought they were home grown

Only car I had that was scary in the rain was my a Big Block Nova but it wasn't from the posi...

It was a 12.5:1 compression engine with a Muncie and if you let off on the gas in the rain the tail would lock up

Especially dangerous at speed. That car was plain dangerous period. Old school early 80's tech with drag set up suspension and junko tires of the day ( as in slapper bars and drag shocks ) shouldn't have been on the street at all.

Last edited by cam; 11-03-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
about the USA made bit.
Jimmy, are you sure that it wasn't a one off KAAZ diff that fit a 10 bolt??!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does Eaton only make one diff?
If so, how does it compare to the T2R?
Old 04-12-2007, 01:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Does Eaton only make one diff?
If so, how does it compare to the T2R?
I have an eaton in my 7.5", and its tight as hell. It scrubbs the inside tire around tight turns, and I daily drive on 315 555r's. The one road coarse even I went to it performed flawlesly, no 1 wheel burnout or anything. I've never ridden in a car with a T2R though so I have nothing to compare it to besides the stock auburn. I don't have any plan on changing out the eaton though, and I'm guessing it's one of the reasons my 10 bolt is still alive.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I have an eaton in my 7.5", and its tight as hell. It scrubbs the inside tire around tight turns, and I daily drive on 315 555r's. The one road coarse even I went to it performed flawlesly, no 1 wheel burnout or anything. I've never ridden in a car with a T2R though so I have nothing to compare it to besides the stock auburn. I don't have any plan on changing out the eaton though, and I'm guessing it's one of the reasons my 10 bolt is still alive.
Sounds good. I'm assuming then that it would be good for sliding around the back end? You know, like a drift car does?
Old 04-14-2007, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Sounds good. I'm assuming then that it would be good for sliding around the back end? You know, like a drift car does?
The rear end stayed planted around the road coarse for me. I guess if I wanted to drift I would have had no problem doing it.

Quick Reply: Tightest Posi?