Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Driving Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driving Experience

Yeah I figured this was the best place to post this...

Well today, as a christmas present from my girl friend I did the Richard Petty Driving Experience, at Lowes Motorspeedway. One word. WOW!

I must admit that I have gotten very sick of NASCAR in the past couple years, just because of all the BS that is associated with it, such as all the pre race and post race crap and all the kids fighting and stuff like that. But I still respected the racing, this took it to another level. My top speed was 136, they said the most I could get was 140. It was a really cool feeling coming out of the straight rolling into turn 3 at speed...

The feelings you get while doing it is just undescribeable. The car was not the fastest thing ever as far as in your face power... but it sure as hell would turn left.

I have a much greater respect for the drivers and the racing, but still hate the **** goes on before and after.

But yea, I am sure this was a completely pointless thread. I just wanted to share.

-bryan
Old 12-18-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pointless? Not in the least.

These rides and drives are just a taste ....
Old 12-18-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Yeah and I want a Thanksgiving Dinner now...
Old 12-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that the Dale Jarrett program is not as restrictive as the Petty experience. Don't know for a fact but I've heard speeds over 160 mph are allowed but not advertised. Just word on the street.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:36 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Pointless? Not in the least.

Did the Petty thing myself about 5 years go. 2 years ago, did 5 days of Skip Barber Race School, now I hit a road course about every other month in my street car at PDE's. I basically sleep, drink, eat, read sports car. My son's 1st word was "car". Hehehe. My wife jokes why couldn't I just like golf.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

My first word was actually plane! Car was second. Thirty years later I'm turning wrenches professionally and racing is my hobby.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its a blast for sure. My father and I had the oppurtunity to give my brother that chance at Lowes a few years back. He had a blast, but we didn't just sit there and watch, we went for a ride with a instructor. What keeps those cars glued to the track like they are...., I will never fully understand.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Yup! Anyone that has the need for speed should do it! I did the Fast Track driving school that Andy Hillenburg teaches and it was a BLAST! Was a B-day present a few years ago when they were at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

I too had lost the Nascar enthusiasm, but this was definately kewl. It got so good, I talked to Andy and was given the ok to put another quarter in the juke box after everyone else had done their laps. Was told I could go ***** out for another 20 laps with just myself and the pace car on the track, and as long as I appeared comfy w/the speeds, the pace car would pick up time on each consecutive lap.

Finished w/a (timed)top speed of 152. Doesn't sound like much until you're coming into a turn at speed and looking hard to the left past the a-pillar to see the track.

Definately an experience of a lifetime(unless you're lucky enough to instruct like mitchntx, or are a team driver).

Congrats on the experience!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

One of the things we do is take 4 or 5 Vettes out and do a "mock race". We have a lap choreographed so that different cars take the lead and fall back into the pack. We do this lap after lap and with the same group of guys. So, you get really, really comfortable with the guy next to you, in front of or behind you.

So then we start getting close.

Entering those high banked turns at 130 and so close to the Vette in front, you can't see anything below the license plate because your own hood obscures it is a heckuva rush.

It makes your passenger stomp the floor looking for the ultra-rare passenger side brake pedal.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

LOL, it's like that NAPA commercial where the student asks the instructor what the proper following distance is. The instructor holds up his hands, palms paralel and says "About 5 inches."
Old 12-24-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

I did not feel at all like I was going 136, heck I have done that in the camaro but the way it cornered and how quick that wall came up was unreal..

Have any of you heard about the drag racing school? I know this is getting off topic a bit, but supposedly there is a drag racing school out west. They offer different cars such as prostock, promod and even Alcohol Funny Car.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

There are several. Frank Hawley's is one that comes to mind. Was thinking about doing their 3 day gig next year.

Quick Reply: Driving Experience