Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

scca?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default scca?

what do i need to get started in scca? just a car? roll cage where do i look it up at i'm in pennsylvania
Old 01-23-2007, 01:19 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If we're talking road racing;
SCCA has a "Race School" every so often on a weekend.
Essentially, you show up with a prepared car, do the school and get regional certification.
Although I'm regionally licensed by the SCCA to race (did so by attending Skip Barber),
I haven't been too active in it, as NASA is very popular down here and runs an HPDE schedule at the local tracks (which suits my needs, as I just lap in a street car).

If you wish to race in the SCCA; join, read the rule book and pick a category which you wish to race in. Once you have a prepared vehicle (or while you're preparing your vehicle), attend their race school in your car (or in a rental track car).

Best thing to do is pick up the phone and call- 'em and describe what you want to do:
http://www.scca.org/
Old 01-23-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

SCCA is the Sports Car Club of America. It has different types of races. You might need a roll cage depending on what you want to do. What type of racing do you want to do? If autox, you don't really need much of anything except for a helmet.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Check out their website and see what you like. If it's autocross you like, then not much is needed at all. If it's road racing, then you'll need to get licensed, etc. Like was said above, you can either attend a SCCA school event (or two if you're, uhh, not very good) or a profesional school (i.e.-Skip Barber, Panoz, etc.). I went the route of Panoz and was quite pleased. SCCA schools usually don't teach you that much other than how to be safe on track with others, but are pretty darn cheap when compared to pro schools. Pro schools are, of course, quite expensive, but not only teach you how to be safe on track, but also how to drive fast correctly. After that, you get a license and you're on your way. Oh yeah, deep pockets. If you road race, you need deep pockets. hahaha

Quick Reply: scca?