Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Camaro vs Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Rear bar does nothing for wheelhop. Might make the car launch straighter....

You can call, but I'm very, very busy since I'm now working all alone due to some health issues in the family and I can't spend much time talking unless we are very serious. And in all truthfulness I've discussed this all with you before and it feel on deaf ears, so I'm a little gun-shy.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-07-2007, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear bar does nothing for wheel hop? Hmmmm, ok, I'll take my money someplace else.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Mark! I post a little link and leave for a week and come back to this. I can't take you anywhere can I? FYI, you have some big decisions to make before June. I think after you do the track school and this event you will start to drift away from drag racing. It is that much more fun! Then you will be changing your setup big time.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry Eric, but this is what happens when you don't drink with me anymore. ;-)

And I am changing my setup....how did you know? I'm going back to stock springs (since my car weighs so much now I don't think the Eibachs are enough) different front shocks & plan to run a set of the NEW Eagle F1s (315s on the rear). I hope to have all that installed by the class on April 10th so I can check out how it handles. Tho I'm going to run my Toyo F1 clones on the front for the lapping so I don't ruin the GYs for the ORR in June.

It still won't hang with your Z, but it should be enough to give me a taste to see if I like it.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Rear bar does nothing for wheel hop? Hmmmm, ok, I'll take my money someplace else.
Ok, because a rear swaybar doesn't help wheelhop.... I wouldn't want to sell you want for that purpose anyway because when it doesn't work, I'm not going to be the bad guy. How do you think a rear bar helps wheelhop? TA, LCA's, bracket, shocks all do, but not the rear bar. How does a device to control roll effect the movement of the unsprung axle either up and down, or fore/aft? It doesn't.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-09-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Twil1ght on that vette board is an egotistical *****. I'm really going to laugh hard when he finds a wall someday.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, I'll drink with ya buddy. You just haven't called. That little taste of the track is going to be your biggest undoing ever and your lovely wife will be REALLY mad at you.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

I said I'd take my $ else where because you said you don't want my business Sam. Not because I think a heavy rear bar helps control wheel hop by controlling the side to side up/down action of the rear tires, keeping both tires loaded the same. I agree all those other things do more, but it helped on my car.

We need to make a Hooters run Eric. If you come to the Roadster Show maybe we can sneak away, tip a few & talk about the driving school....
Old 02-10-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will do. Too bad your cleaning it for the show. Today was a great day to be out cruising!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Yes I know. I also have the tranny out. Damn thing Ellis built only lasted for 2 seasons. POS Speed Secrets 4L60Es anyway......can't take more than 200 passes.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:09 AM
TECH Veteran

their so safisticated i cant stop reading
Old 02-18-2007, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Freak-
Twil1ght on that vette board is an egotistical *****. I'm really going to laugh hard when he finds a wall someday.
Twil1ght was also was pretty good pro motorcycle racer. Let's just say his skills are a little above average and it gets to his head sometimes.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Camaro / Vette
Who cares as long as your out having fun with your ride instead of putting another coat of Zanio on it (which the vette crowd is famous for). Get out and run the **** out of them!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Teching In

I would LOVE to build a Camaro for road racing. Just something about the body style I really dig, even more so than my Corvette. They just look mean as hell. I just can't get over the solid rear axle thing on the Camaro. Not to mention the Vette does have a full framed chassis vs. the unit body construction of the Camaro. I haven't seen too many of the Camaros out at the HPDE's, like you see the vettes.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

I've owned a '98 coupe with multiple bolt-ons, '01 Z06 and now a '96 Z-28. I've run the two Vettes at Watkins Glen and they were a blast!! I have since run the Z-28 at Limerock in basically stock form and I was impressed with its handling. Is it better than the C5? No, stock for stock the Vette is better in my opinion, but look how much more you're paying. The Z has since been heavily modified and will see duty this weekend (if it doesn't EFFIN snow!) and it should hang pretty well with the C5s. BTW, I was a member of Corvetteforum for several years and there are some real good members over there who know their stuff. But the stereotypical Vette owner would NEVER race his/her car and chances are they are not a member of that website.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

BTW, Sam Strano, while being very open and honest to the point of abrasiveness, certainly knows his s%it. He spent quite a bit of time with me on the phone when I first purchased my Z-28 and were it not for him, I would have made some seriously bad choices in modding my car. He's a good guy who knows his stuff. Thanks Sam!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get whichever youll have more fun in.
Remember... your not getting paid for winning.

I don't like the zaino crowd... I'd never want to buy their cars and I love to **** them off.

But all of the above aside...

Out of a given budget, always research the cheaper option. Leaves more money for goodies that generally allow you to outperform the competition.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VERT VETTE HPDE FAN
I would LOVE to build a Camaro for road racing. Just something about the body style I really dig, even more so than my Corvette. They just look mean as hell. I just can't get over the solid rear axle thing on the Camaro. Not to mention the Vette does have a full framed chassis vs. the unit body construction of the Camaro. I haven't seen too many of the Camaros out at the HPDE's, like you see the vettes.
Not sure where you are from, but look into NASA's American Iron and Camaro/Mustang Challenge series.

www.nasaproracing.com

I race a '96 Firebird in CMC and it as absolute blast. A budget CMC build can be done for $7-8K