Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Getting into Road Racing!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRZYPWR
Outstanding! I will definetly keep in touch. I will try to pick something up soon, either '98 Z M6 or '98 C5 M6.

Yeah, these photos looked painfull.

How about that Red vette that flew off the road? Any damage to it ? Suspension, body etc ? Is it all fixed up already?
When I saw that photo I was thinking... yup... that's me right there! hahaah!
The damage was limited to the driver's pride, and he had to get his tires remounted because gravel got inside the tires. Other than that, the car was fine after he hosed it off. We had another Vette back into a gravel trap pretty far, and he also got away with just a carwash. The traps do their job well.

I am partial to Vettes, but if you are deciding between a Vette and Z for track duty, I would suggest going with the Vette. I have both, although they are both from 69, but the Vette is worlds better than the Camaro. The basic vehicle layouts haven't really changed since 69, so I would expect the differences to be similar. Just my $0.02, but I believe a lot of people would agree.

Ken
Old 02-01-2007, 05:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Making wholesale changes without knowing what the car is doing is just dumb and a waste of money. Even with stock shocks, there is a lot more car there than there is with a rookie driver.

A good helmet, a 5 point harness, good brakes and an open mind to listen to your instructor should be sufficient your first few times out.
Here's a scary thought... I agree--mostly.

I wouldn't recommend spending wads of cash on a lot of things, but I would get some good shocks on there that will carry you through to future mods (read-Koni's). I find the cars scary to drive near the limit on the stock junkers. I'd wait on other things until you develop a sense of feel and gain some experience.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-01-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think he is about 1 step behind me.. i starting going out to Open track days and Redline events mid last year

anyways.. i have barely any power mods to my car that i have done.. most of the others were done by the previous owner.. such as KYB AGX rears and stock fronts .. but he did manage to put in some Hotchkis springs, a 32mm sway bar..Hotchkis APHB, Hotchkis tubular trailing arms, poly bushings

I will add a 21mm rear, change those lousy shocks and struts.. i already converted my brakes to C5 12.8 rotors, super blue ATE fluid, Hawk racing pads(only on the track), a home made oil cooler which holds another quart of oil, brake ducts made by me, and i use Toyo RA-1's for road racing use, a G2 harness bar (i guess they are no longer made) 4 point harness and a Corbeau knock off fixed bucket..

So far i can take a lot of guys on the track in their M3's, M5's, some corvette owners than cant drive, ect..

so its not all about power, i feel my car has enough (325rwhp.. for now) but im working on seat time and try and learn something new each time..then im going to call Sam Strano and get some real shocks.. once i have enough money
Old 02-01-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree about seat time. I ran my 02 Z28 bone stock (except fot SS17s) the first high speed auto-x last year. It did really well. I have since upgraded (see sig), and gotten faster. But I would recomend running stock first, your skill will improve, then upgrade what you need as you go.

Check out http://autocross.mcscc.org/
This is who I race w. There is a great track in Joliet IL (Autobahn Country Club), and Blackhawk Farms (BHF) near South Beloit/Rosco. They also hold driver schools at BHF.

If you run absolutely stock, all you need is a Snell 2000 helmet. Do any mods and you will need 5 point harness. They have a driver's school early in the season. Try to get to it. You will improve alot, and get lots of fun track time. Plus hopefully cool photos---its where I got my sig pics!

And there are several LS1 f-bodies to compete with!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I totally agree with You guys.
300hp Is way too much for me to handle at the tracks as a newb!
Lot's to learn before adding more HP.
I am working on getting some bone stock M6 z28.
Hopefully soon enough!

Thanks guys!
I will keep in touch.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:04 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRZYPWR
Yeah I totally agree with You guys.
300hp Is way too much for me to handle at the tracks as a newb!
Lot's to learn before adding more HP.
I am working on getting some bone stock M6 z28.
Hopefully soon enough!

Thanks guys!
I will keep in touch.

Put it this way... I sold a 540 crank hp Fbod because I knew I was getting into driving road courses. My intro car turned out to be a WRX Wagon which I modded to about 260hp, yet the car was underbraked. Now I'm in a 232hp RX8 with brakes that are phenomenal from the factory. Eventually, I may work my way up again in terms of a high hp platform, but for now, BRAKES are the most important characteristic a platform can offer me. And when I mean brakes, I do not only mean instant stopping ability, but also the ability to sustain heat over periods of up to an hour (1 hour is about the most I can stay on track without frying my concentration at this point) with little or no fade- very critical.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

Nice man.

Yeah, talking about breaks. When I went to Road Americ with one of the guys I know, we went for 14 laps, split for 2 races,which is about 27-28 miles each. After these, the breaks in his ZO6 were done, I mean done... the rotors on the front were so trashed I couldn't believe it. He is a hardcore racer, it is close to a 430 rwhp car, he races in A/B class all the time.
Man on that straight away we got up to 161 mph, than all the sudden hard breaking down to 90mph and taking a turn at 90... I was like holy ****...
So no wonder these crappy pads were done after 14 laps.
I think Camaro would be a good choice for me..since I've had like 4 of them... 1 LT1, 3 LS1s, I know the car, used to it so much, I think it matters a lot!

By the way... what is seat time ? I see all of You mentioning it all the time ?
Sorry, noob here! Is it about spending more time learning and listening?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Seat time is simply time in the seat on the track. You need to get some laps under your belt. The first few times you will be nervous, and just trying to make sure you know what is going on. It takes many sessions before you settle down and can start memorizing your braking points; start seeing the line through corners; start to threshhold brake; etc.

You need experience, that's what seat time means.

Ken