Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

As a driver, something to shoot for

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerScott
Will simulators help real racers or people that dont know racing learn? Most definitly.
Learn what? the track layout? OK ... a given.

But you cannot "learn" the subtle things that takes a driver to another whole level.

In a sim, you get visual and audible feedback, based upon a programmer's interpretation.

Behind the wheel, you get sensory over-load.

Threshold braking over a small rise and modulating the brake pedal to prevent locking up a wheel can NEVER be simulated to the extent the real deal feels. Sorry, just ain't gonna happen.

And in sim racing, there are no consequences. Bouncing off of a wall hurts like hell. Last time I ran GT4 and plowed through a bunch of hay bails, I took another swig of brew and hit reset ...
Old 02-18-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, I'll keep racing ... for real. You, on the other hand, just keep buying software ...
Old 02-19-2007, 01:32 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRZYPWR
NO **** ?

Dude, noone is saying that GT4 is like the real thing, we just said that they did pretty damn good job with making the tracks in the game

Never say never.
Ok Crazy, what was the callout for. I imagine your just a pro on GT4, and would be cutting 12 minute BTG lap time while your out there on the real track.
While GT4 has a good graphics and follows the track somewhat, you just don't get the thrill as in really driving it. Just remember it is the longest roller coaster in the world znd you either like it or hate it.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, sorry for bringing this up in the first place.

I thought it was a great video depicting a great drive, but just found it funny that with in a couple corners I knew the track visually. I had no intention of starting an arguement.

I like most prefer to drive my car above all, but being from the currently bitterly cold and snow covered north. I personally will not have any oppurtunity to drive my car for at least another 2 months. So how do I get a little driving fix? Indoor karting (very expensive and not the same thrill) gives you the seat of the pants feedback and car video games, helps to keep some eye hand coordination but gives no seat of the pants feel feedback what so ever.

Those are my ways of passing the winter months, and also just working on the car getting it ready for the spring when it is warm enough in the garage anyway!

At least I think we can all agree that this was a great driver on a cool track and we all enjoy driving our cars when we can.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

LOL ... sad, but LOL, anyway