Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Hard braking while in gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard braking while in gear

I have a question about braking in an autocross event. Say...I'm haulin in second gear and then i get ready to slam on the brakes for a turn or something. Should I push the clutch pedal? I usually leave it in gear for moderate braking, but I'm worried that if i leave it gear during hard braking that the brakes might lock up for a split second and cause the engine to lock up and stall and possibly break things. What do you think? Is that possible?

BTW...I've done two autocross events so far in Washington at Bremerton and I love it. I really need better tires though. Mine are old and balding. I can't wait to get a big roadcourse though!!!

My first event I got second in novice class and at the second event I got eighth place but would have got first if it wasn't for missing a gate. It's hard though because the car is big and the course is small. Very challenging I think.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:42 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake in gear. More importantly, brake while in the correct gear. Learn to single rev match (clutch pedal pressed in for throttle blips) or double clutch (clutch pedal released with shifter in neutral for the blip) so that you can brake and downshift simultaneously in brake zones. This helps you brake without locking up the rear.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

I always brake in gear, whether for auto-x or road race. If I need to downshift, I do a heel-toe single clutch downshift. On the street, I have recently started double clutching to reduce wear on my synchros. With ABS, actually locking up the rear enough to cause a problem is very unlikey.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

yeah, that's what I have been doing. I was just curious as to what other people did. K thanks.

Quick Reply: Hard braking while in gear