Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Racing Schools

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Racing Schools

I would like to go to a racaing school and learnd how to drive,witch Racing school is the best in you opinion?

What are the top 5 or 10 schools?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's many to choose from. Usually at least one in any given metro area. Where are you located?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't say enough about Skip Barber. They took me from knowing nothing to having a solid fundamental about lapping on a road course and racing in 5 days. After the 3 day course you're eligible for the SCCA Regional license to boot. Only drawback is the cost.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Crisisman
There's many to choose from. Usually at least one in any given metro area. Where are you located?
I´m in Iceland,will be moving to usa in about a year to Austin,Texas

The location of the school is no problem for me
Old 04-28-2007, 05:57 AM
TECH Resident

What is the 5day corse much?
Old 04-28-2007, 07:22 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ari G
What is the 5day corse much?
There is no 5 day course, rather, a 3 day + 2 day curriculum, with the 3 day racing school being the core of the school:

Day 1: Intense series of slalom, braking & downshifting exercises with special attention on double-clutch/heel-and-toe downshifting
Day 2: Series of high-speed lapping sessions combined with racing theory & advanced braking techniques
Day 3: Track drills in drafting, passing & racing in the rain; double-file race starts & single-file restarts
www.skipbarber.com

^ see link for schools and pricing.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:47 PM
***Repost Police***

At Motorsport Ranch (southwest of Dallas/Fort Worth) they hold performance driving classes. I'm not sure of the details, but definitely look into it, since it's relatively-close to where you will be living. If you don't mind travelling, check out Skip Barber and Bondurant as well.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

I instruct on occasion with Apex Driving Academy located at Motorsports Ranch. It's decent enough.

The difference between Barber and Apex is that Barber supplies the car while Apex instruct you in your car. Each venue has it's pros and cons

With Barber, the car is basically taken out of the equation for the instructor. He knows the car's history and preperation and limits. It's the driver that has to adapt.

With Apex, the instructor sometimes doesn't really know the level of prep and skill the maintenance "crew" applied to the car. So, as an instructor, I have to err on the conservative side to keep people and car safe.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:50 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I instruct on occasion with Apex Driving Academy located at Motorsports Ranch. It's decent enough.

The difference between Barber and Apex is that Barber supplies the car while Apex instruct you in your car. Each venue has it's pros and cons

With Barber, the car is basically taken out of the equation for the instructor. He knows the car's history and preperation and limits. It's the driver that has to adapt.

With Apex, the instructor sometimes doesn't really know the level of prep and skill the maintenance "crew" applied to the car. So, as an instructor, I have to err on the conservative side to keep people and car safe.
Mitch.
With all due respect to your instructional ability and driving prowess, another difference is that at Barber, you're also getting taught by a rather impressive resume of champions - for whatever that's worth (you're also paying out the *** for it).
For example, when I was there, for instructors I had a 24hr Daytona/12hr Sebring Champion, a former Formula 3000 driver and instructor at Brands Hatch, a Drag Racing Hall of fame inductee turned road racer and current Rolex series GT class drivers instructing (just to name a few), plus a former ROLEX DP series champ's sons were in attendance recieving instruction. Hey, it's simply wow factor for an average joe like me.
This all may or may not make for better quality instruction, but the racing legacy on a world class level is definately there (again, at the expense of your wallet).
I've also enjoyed the small informal schools (more like classroom sessions) offered at NASA and Chinmotorsports as well during their classroom sessions for novices given between lapping sessions. Everyone can benefit from any sort of properly given instruction. Some things simply are not intuitive and need to be taught.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 04-30-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

but on the other hand, the several thousand dollars you are going to save by only doing "local" events with "non-professional" instruction will get you 10x the seat time

and there is no replacement for seat time.

just stirring the pot
Old 04-30-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Mitch.
With all due respect to your instructional ability and driving prowess, another difference is that at Barber, you're also getting taught by a rather impressive resume of champions - for whatever that's worth (you're also paying out the *** for it).
For example, when I was there, for instructors I had a 24hr Daytona/12hr Sebring Champion, a former Formula 3000 driver and instructor at Brands Hatch, a Drag Racing Hall of fame inductee turned road racer and current Rolex series GT class drivers instructing (just to name a few), plus a former ROLEX DP series champ's sons were in attendance recieving instruction. Hey, it's simply wow factor for an average joe like me.
This all may or may not make for better quality instruction, but the racing legacy on a world class level is definately there (again, at the expense of your wallet).
I've also enjoyed the small informal schools (more like classroom sessions) offered at NASA and Chinmotorsports as well during their classroom sessions for novices given between lapping sessions. Everyone can benefit from any sort of properly given instruction. Some things simply are not intuitive and need to be taught.

Excellent points and I can appreciate the pedigree that schools like Barber have. It's impressive to have that kind of experience in the right seat. Many times, though ... it's marketing.

For me, more importantly, is can that person, who has such an impressive resume, impart his experience to a green student in such a way that the student actually learns something?

Ron Fellows is an *** ... Boris Said is very approachable. Lou Gigliotti is tough ... Tommy Archer is a ******. It's hit or miss.

Another thing I've learned is that the difference in driving talent available at local schools vs the big names is typically only separated by the thickness of someone's check book.

I showed Tommy Nastasi around Motorsports Ranch one day. While he currently leads the points in Grand AM cup (Koni Challenge), he didn't impress me very much as a driver that day.

I have learned more about "racing" from Mike Patterson and Steve Hill than anyone else. What they taught me was that a good handling car is but a small part of "the race".

When you go wheel to wheel racing, you begin to see just how small this community really is.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:17 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kamin
but on the other hand, the several thousand dollars you are going to save by only doing "local" events with "non-professional" instruction will get you 10x the seat time

and there is no replacement for seat time.

just stirring the pot
Or, you can do both
Old 04-30-2007, 03:21 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Excellent points and I can appreciate the pedigree that schools like Barber have. It's impressive to have that kind of experience in the right seat. Many times, though ... it's marketing.

For me, more importantly, is can that person, who has such an impressive resume, impart his experience to a green student in such a way that the student actually learns something?

Ron Fellows is an *** ... Boris Said is very approachable. Lou Gigliotti is tough ... Tommy Archer is a ******. It's hit or miss.

Another thing I've learned is that the difference in driving talent available at local schools vs the big names is typically only separated by the thickness of someone's check book.

I showed Tommy Nastasi around Motorsports Ranch one day. While he currently leads the points in Grand AM cup (Koni Challenge), he didn't impress me very much as a driver that day.

I have learned more about "racing" from Mike Patterson and Steve Hill than anyone else. What they taught me was that a good handling car is but a small part of "the race".

When you go wheel to wheel racing, you begin to see just how small this community really is.
I completely agree with you Mitch. Teaching all about the quality of instruction no matter where you get it. And I agree with you on the marketing aspect of the whole school, but then again, that's what brings people there.

What I've seen by sitting with other Skip grads in their cars on track at different venues is that we're all more or less the same- some much quicker than others, but all very similar in method. This could be very boring, but then again, the way I look at it is that we were all taught a basic fundamental structure through a proven curriculum which (as factory like as it is) spits out people who know how to lap and race successfully on a road course- given zero background knowledge- within a few days. I'm sure your instruction and school can do the same, but not as many people would know about it as people know about Skip and Bondurant and Roos and Panoz, etc. etc. etc. either due to regionality of the school or simply because it's an upstart pace= who knows- that's all business.

Anyhow, any instruction from a good, sound fundamental base will take people to the next level very quickly. It's absolutely amazing.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 04-30-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

My dad races with Driver's edge...I dont know if its a school but I know that they teach you how to drive fast in corners and ****....they run like every couple of weeks mostly at dallas/fort worth race way and in college station and in houston. Give me a Pm if you need any more info
Old 05-20-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I instruct for Rick Schwallenberg as well.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am an instructor with www.comscc.com. I agree with everything said, but,

I would recommend a few schools with a club like comscc, bmw club, etc before I spent the big bucks on Skip Barber.

COM runs NHIS, Watkin Glen, Lime Rock, Mosport, and MT Tremblant this season. The premier road courses in the Northeast USA. Check it out if you can travel.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Launching!

I got an afternoon at Bondurant for a B-Day present. I knew that I knew nothing. But I had no idea how much nothing I knew. I agree tremendously with the seat-time comment. I could feel and watch myself getting faster and faster. Its was actually pretty frustrating becuase I ran out of time while still improving so much. And that was in a large group and very mild exercises.

Now I have a whole new set of priorities for my car. Great. Just freakin great. Thats another years' disposable income gone.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sparetire
I got an afternoon at Bondurant for a B-Day present. I knew that I knew nothing. But I had no idea how much nothing I knew. I agree tremendously with the seat-time comment. I could feel and watch myself getting faster and faster. Its was actually pretty frustrating becuase I ran out of time while still improving so much. And that was in a large group and very mild exercises.

Now I have a whole new set of priorities for my car. Great. Just freakin great. Thats another years' disposable income gone.
It's addictive. I need a lapping day fix once every 6 to 8 weeks minimum.
Going to a turnkey track ready car made things really easy. I miss the hp however. Everyone says that you don't need hp to enjoy the roadcourse -which is true, but damn I miss it. Hp used right equals traction
Old 05-31-2007, 03:08 AM

It's addictive. I need a lapping day fix once every 6 to 8 weeks minimum.
Going to a turnkey track ready car made things really easy. I miss the hp however. Everyone says that you don't need hp to enjoy the roadcourse -which is true, but damn I miss it. Hp used right equals traction
I definitely am in the boat with ya... Only problem is my bank account starts needing a fix for cash
Old 06-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

I can't say enough about Skip Barber. They took me from knowing nothing to having a solid fundamental about lapping on a road course and racing in 5 days. After the 3 day course you're eligible for the SCCA Regional license to boot. Only drawback is the cost.
I can't say anything about the school. But I did read his book a few years ago and found it very informative. It deffantly gave me a taste of the basic principals and I would really like to get more indepth into road racing. I just don't really have the funds to do it.

Quick Reply: Racing Schools