Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Which 4th gen...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 4th gen...

Which 4th gen f-body would you rather have for F-Stock Autocrossing? LT1, LT4, LS1 Z or SS? Anyone have arguments for anyone of them?
Old 06-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Launching!

I will be autoxing my 96 SS soon. I'm setting up all the suspension first w/ springs, shocks and bars from Strano. I'll post my results.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:00 AM

Cool. 96 SS so I am assuming LT1 and not LT4?

I know there's not much differences other than HP and Torque levels, but, I am wondering more about power delivery on the autocross course. And, yeah, I know 99+ have the best rear ends for AX. Maybe Sammy can weigh in on this subject?

Originally Posted by SS1156
I will be autoxing my 96 SS soon. I'm setting up all the suspension first w/ springs, shocks and bars from Strano. I'll post my results.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

The SS and WS6 cars are not currently in FS.

The last time an f-body won FS at Nationals was in 05, and it was an LS1 car driven by Aggie Casey Weiss. The 3rd gen 1LE's, LT1's, and LS1's all have their advantages. 3rd gen is lighter, but has less power and has the lowest red line. The LT1 has the most low end torque, but again runs out of steam on the top end. The LS1 by far has the most power on the top end. At various National Tours this year, both an 3rd gen and LS1 have won, even beating the new Shelby GT twice (NOT the GT500).

Also, while getting a 1LE 3rd gen is important, the 4th gen 1LE's aren't that great. It has been proven time and again that a well driven base car is just as fast as a 1LE.

However, these differences are not that great. Any car that is very well driven can win. Driver and tires make by far the biggest difference.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mojave
The SS and WS6 cars are not currently in FS.

The last time an f-body won FS at Nationals was in 05, and it was an LS1 car driven by Aggie Casey Weiss. The 3rd gen 1LE's, LT1's, and LS1's all have their advantages. 3rd gen is lighter, but has less power and has the lowest red line. The LT1 has the most low end torque, but again runs out of steam on the top end. The LS1 by far has the most power on the top end. At various National Tours this year, both an 3rd gen and LS1 have won, even beating the new Shelby GT twice (NOT the GT500).
The SS and WS6 car's aren't in FS for this season, but, word around the water cooler is that they will be there for next year. From what I hear it's because of the Shelby GT, it has pretty much the same stuff done to it over the regular GT like the SS/WS6 have over the Z's and T/A's.

Oh yeah, I have been keeping up on national results a little. Like Ft. Devens where this....

beat this...

sadly I was only there taking pictures!!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HTJ d0t c0m
The SS and WS6 car's aren't in FS for this season, but, word around the water cooler is that they will be there for next year. From what I hear it's because of the Shelby GT, it has pretty much the same stuff done to it over the regular GT like the SS/WS6 have over the Z's and T/A's.

Oh yeah, I have been keeping up on national results a little. Like Ft. Devens where this....
Yeah, the proposal has been out there for a while. If you assume they will make it in, then it think the SS/WS6 are definitely the best. 17x9's with 295's will be too much to overcome IMO.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mojave
It has been proven time and again that a well driven base car is just as fast as a 1LE.

However, these differences are not that great. Any car that is very well driven can win. Driver and tires make by far the biggest difference.

I will take for granted you are implying a base car with Koni adjustables (at least SAs) and NOT one with the stock De Crapons. This is, of course, given drivers of at least close skill levels (as well as equal tires), since if the disparity is great enough there, the handicap of the OEM shocks could be wiped out.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HTJ d0t c0m

beat this...

The Revolutions (that IS what those wheels are, right??) on the 3rd gen are 16x8s?? Are the modular (3 piece) ones that much lighter than the full race one pieces? Or do they not even offer a one piece 16x8??
Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I will take for granted you are implying a base car with Koni adjustables (at least SAs) and NOT one with the stock De Crapons. This is, of course, given drivers of at least close skill levels (as well as equal tires), since if the disparity is great enough there, the handicap of the OEM shocks could be wiped out.
Yeah, I left out a few details. A base car with Konis and a big front bar (32mm 1LE, 35mm Strano, 36 mm Hotchkis, etc) can keep up with a 1LE.