Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

4th Gen F-body vs. SN-95 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003 | 04:28 PM
Teching In

Default 4th Gen F-body vs. SN-95 Mustang

Is the 4th Gen F-body chassis signifigantly better than the Mustang's Fox-4 chassis for street/OT? Im a pretty regular poster over at corral and I was going to ask that question there but Im more interested in hearing about how the camaro performs. To make a mustang handle great you have to completely re-emgineer the suspension with about 4000 dollars worth of mods. Is this necessary with the f-body, or are the fundamentals all ready in place? Basically Im just looking to hear you guy's setups and what needs to be done.
Old 05-20-2003 | 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: 4th Gen F-body vs. SN-95 Mustang

We are putting the Griggs stuff under a friends car right now. When he gets done, for $5,000, he will have my stock suspension (virtually). The F-body already has a panhard rod (griggs has a watts link....I'd like a watts link..). THe Griggs kit converts the Mustang to a 3 link suspension, which teh F=body already has. In stock trim the mustang has some problems with binding in the rear suspension and the rear roll center is not really optimal due to the design of that suspension. Many people add a panhard rod to stock (upper and lower control arm type) mustang suspension and wind up with a primary (dominant) and secondary roll center and the cars begin to exhibit "snap oversteer" when pushed real hard. But, all of this can be fixed with some time and a checkbook and then the mustang is a formidable track car indeed (with brakes, etc of course).

The F-body just needs the control arms and panhard rod upgraded (an springs, shocks, etc) to do track duty. We just save money on the fabrication and installation part of the setup. But, the F-body (at least in T-top trim) seems signifigantly more flexible than the mustang bodies. There is good and bad with each one....you just have to find whats broke and fix it....

If you are a mustang guy (or any guy, but there are lots of mustang owners on this board www.corner-carvers.com, but don't ask a stupid question....those guys are ruthless and brutal....but it's great reading....).
Old 05-21-2003 | 03:31 AM
Teching In

lol, yeah I usually read on CC.com quite a bit. I thougt this was a little too newb for the CC crowd. A lot of those guys are mustang huys anyway. Does the Gen 4 have a double wishbone or double A-arm setup in the front? Was the Gen 4 a complete redesign in 93 or is it a carry over from the previous generation? Im not really worried about chassis stiffness because I'll be looking for a hard top then add the usual chassis stffining mods and probably a 4pt roll bar in the back.
Old 05-21-2003 | 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

It is upper and lower wishbones on the front (which can be upgraded as well. From the firewall back, it is the same car as a 3rd gen (virtually identical).
Old 05-22-2003 | 06:23 AM
TECH Regular

Damn, I went to there site, CC.com, and they are brutal. I think I am just going to read info as it is posted, no risk of being banned, and I still get to learn...
Old 05-22-2003 | 07:05 AM
Teching In

Yeah thats one reason I like that place so much. They arent concerned with huge memberships or becoming deluted like the other big sites. Just hardcore tech, and if you act like an *** you get called on it. Thats the way it should be. Anyway I came across this link. Thought it might be usuful for future searchers.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...t+distribution
Old 06-26-2003 | 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These guys have already covered what I was going to say... that several shops offer super-duper Fox/SN95 suspension setups that, in effect, convert it to an F-body suspension. The upper A-arms are deleted, a panhard rod (or Watts link) is added, and a torque arm is added. Voila!! F-car suspension!

Seriously, though, one thing that makes Mustangs at least FEEL like they are more nimble is their shorter wheelbase... now that I think about it, that may well have something to do with the stiffer chassis (when compared to a T-top F-car), as well.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen F-body vs. SN-95 Mustang