Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Question for the Wise

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the Wise

Hey Everyone
This isn't really a technical question, but this is the best place to ask it.
I work at a restaurant, and I am a food runner there. It was late the other night, and I was bringing some food out to a about 6 or 7 guys, all wearing Justin Bell Racing School shirts.
I ask them if they took the class, and someone replies, "I am Justin Bell and these are my instructors". I was like holy **** (Didn't say that, but almost).I introduced myself, shook his hand and he introduced me to the shop manager, I had asked if there was any way an 18 year old can get involved with ANYTHING in their shop/school. The manager said to stop by in 2 weeks, when they won't be too busy and said he'd get some information from me.
So I just started AutoXing, want to get involved with road racing,any way possible, I just don't have the money. I figure this will be a way to maybe get my foot in the door, so to speak.
I planning on going to stop by the school when they said to. Any extra advice on what to do in my situation? Thanks a lot, sorry for the long post. Input is appreciated.

Old 05-23-2003, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Question for the Wise

Show them interest in what they do, offer help whenever they may need it even if it means mopping shop floors etc. But dont overstay your welcome. Soon if you show them you can work hard and know your way around a car they might put you in one....never know
Old 05-23-2003, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gave my time to a local team.

I showed up when I could. I swept the floors, cleaned and organized the trailer, drug tires.

Once they got to know me, then I was able to help on the race car.

From that, the people who knew the team began to recognize me. It's more about face time than anything ...
Old 05-23-2003, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Where do you go auto-x'ing in/near WPB?? I've been looking for a while and haven't found anywhere?
Old 05-23-2003, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

No place in or near WPB...I was in lakeland 2 weeks ago, I am leaving for Palm Bay tomorrow at 5:30 am.m. for the weekend, and Sebring is coming up the 7th and 8th. Go to cfrsolo2.com...That is the central florida region, supposadly there is a florida region, but they do stuff in Miami mostly(i think). Where are you located? We outta try to get something together at Moroso, they have a nice skidpad...
Old 05-23-2003, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you everyone for the advice!
Old 06-03-2003, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not wanting to hijack the thread, I was wondering if anyone on here knew of a good team (I'm talkin AX, RR, OT, etc) that might need a hand. I've been trying to find one but just haven't run into the right opportunity yet. TIA

Quick Reply: Question for the Wise