Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Does battery disconnect affect PCM program?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does battery disconnect affect PCM program?

Debating where to put this but seems this would be an area where people may actually have experience. Anyway, I've put a battery disconnect into my autoxer. It's got a 'keyless' ignition (ignition is on a toggle switch ). So between using the disconnect for security on the days I drive on the street and using it when I work on the car, will frequently disconnecting the battery have any ill affects on engine performance? Are there parameters that the PCM 'learns' over time that are re-set that could affect driveability or power?

Thanks
Cameron
Old 02-01-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I threw a copy in the PCM forum for you also...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/856519-does-battery-disconnect-affect-pcm-program.html
Old 02-01-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The main problem you're going to run into is driveability for the first 2-3 minutes after startup. Your PCM retains it's programming for a few minutes with no power. But, then it loses it. When you start it up, it won't idle properly and will have to relearn most parameters. However, there shouldn't be any lasting effects.

I've got a cutout on my racer, and I leave it disconnected for 29 days out of the month.

Quick Reply: Does battery disconnect affect PCM program?