Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

G-Force racing gear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-Force racing gear?

I'm looking for some gloves and shoes. G-force seems to have the best value for the $. The problem is, there are no, none, nada, zero G-force retailers in WA for me to go and try things on. So, can anyone tell me what their gloves and shoes are like? Are they worth it? How is the sizing?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

they have the best value for the dollar. they may not have the most top of the line, fanciest gear, but there is nothing wrong with what they have. i have one of their helmets, and am very happy with it. go to saferacer.com, they have lots of g-force gear, and have sizing charts. i would imagine most saftey gear has similiar sizing. if not, saferacer has an excellent exchange plan. i had to exchange one helmet for the one i have now, it was too small...no problems, just paid for shipping and got a new one.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:43 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also check out www.racequip.com for safequip brand products. Affordable. Last weekend I tore a set of $135 Sparco gloves and replaced them at the track with a $25 of Safequip gloves which were just as comfortable.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. Both of those brands look like pretty good options.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI - the G-Force gloves that I tried on had a leather palm and would lay flat when your hand wasn't in them. This meant that they were a little stiff, and would wrinkle when you grabbed the steering wheel.

For $15 more, I went with the Impact Racing gloves. They have a suede palm that is much softer. And, when you lay them on the counter, they naturally curve in a slightly clinched position. This means there are no wrinkles on your palm when you grip the wheel.

A main reason you don't want wrinkles and do want a soft palm is that you'll be gripping the steering wheel for up to 30 minutes at a time, in a hot car. If your gloves have wrinkles under the palms, you could get bad blisters while driving.

Anyway, look at the Impact ones. Black with the grey palm. Their 3/4 shoes are nice, too. And not expensive.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ended up getting a set of G-Force Pro gloves. They are Kangaroo leather palms(about the softest leather I've ever worn) and have some of that natural curve you speak of. They fit very well.

Now to find some comfy shoes...
Old 02-01-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Excellent! As long as they're good, then that's what matters. One thing I've noticed when looking at "real" racecars - they spend money where it matters and save it where it doesn't. If a $30 pair of gloves are as comfortable and will protect you the same amount of time as a $100 pair, then why waste $70?

I've got a G-Force helmet, and it's wonderful.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Crisisman
Now to find some comfy shoes...

are you looking at nice driving shoes, or full race shoes/boots? i have a pair of piloti driving shoes.....no fire retardent, but very comfy, looks good, and really helps with foot placement, downshifting, pedal feel, etc. they also have a racing line, with fire proofing. on a last visit to saferacer (great site, hit them up often for anything you need), i picked up a pair of ultra shield race boots. 3/4 height, fire proof to whatever degree, very thin and gives alot of feel. they were on a closeout sale, for something around $50-75, so i figured what the hell. theyre not top-line, but they fit and work for what i need them.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure yet. I'm heading to a local speed shop today to try some different styles on and get a feel for what I do/don't like.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I was at the shop and they had a pile of 2006 style shoes at 50% off. I found my size in a high top Oakley that is the same color scheme as my gloves. I tried them on and they fit very comfortably. $100 later I now have the safety gear for the Touring Class in the Bonneville 100.

Quick Reply: G-Force racing gear?