Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

WTB - street/track/open road car

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008 | 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Default WTB - street/track/open road car

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...77#post8593177

Thought it was appropriate to post here...if not, sorry mods, delete if you need. Just fishing interest.

Thanks all

EDIT- Shall I say, maybe not so much an open road car? That is better..

Last edited by ruf455; 01-29-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2008 | 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Not my car but sounds like it fits the bill.

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=11033
Old 01-29-2008 | 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

You will have a hard time finding a competitive car that is SAFE for under $10K
A decent cage alone will cost $3K. And by decent cage, I mean one that can withstand car to car impact. It rarely happens, but you don't want to be the one in a million statistic.

Also, one that is still street legal makes it even harder and more expensive.

After several years open tracking a street car, I decided to go the dedicated track car route. Unbelievably, my car expenses went WAY down. Strip out all the weight, all of sudden brakes and tires begin wearing a lot longer.

And after I saw a couple friends wreck open track cars, I decided a cage was a necessary piece of speed equipment.

I have a dedicated CMC car for sale. But that isn't the point of this post. I spent a lot of cash, enough to buy a dedicated track car, on just keeping my street car streetable.

I'm SW of Ft. Worth in case you'd like to look the car over.
http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Chassis4.html

Contact David Donavon, one of the track design consultants at Harris Hill to get some background on me.
Old 01-29-2008 | 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

I hear you, but your thinking is going a little further than mine. I want a car that will spends more time on the street, but withstands some autox/road course action on club days. I've spent plenty of time at autox and small road course events. Pay my money, make some conservative laps...have a good time with friends. I am not even going to bother with trying to compete with anything. My pockets aren't close to being deep enough. Koni's, Strano, big break up grades, torsen rear, etc... Maybe some extra wheels/tires for track intentions only. These are the things I am speaking of.

I did it once before with my old Ram Air and had a blast. No need for full cage, dedicated race, etc. It was my daily at the time. Notice I put street first in my title I just don't want a stock f-body. I'd would assume buy something that has all, if not most of the parts I need to get to the track/p-lot, run some laps and get home in one piece. You follow?
Old 01-29-2008 | 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ruf455
You follow?
Perfectly ... I followed that path exactly.

I AXed for a while, but was very much like drag racing, to me any way. Short runs, long periods of down time, cliquish clubs, money typically wins. Just my experience.

Discovered open tracking and used my street car for it. But to accelerate and stop such a heavy beast, requires a HUGE investment in suspension, brakes and tires. Again lots of cash outlay.

Been W2W racing for 3 years now and my annual expenses have dropped dramatically. 6 tires a year ... a set of brakes a year ...

Also ... I live 20 minutes from Motorsport Ranch in Cresson. Having a track so accessible is great ... for a while. Turning laps does get old when the laps are the same time after time.
Old 01-30-2008 | 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

"Also ... I live 20 minutes from Motorsport Ranch in Cresson. Having a track so accessible is great ... for a while. Turning laps does get old when the laps are the same time after time."

Exactly why I want the car more of a serious street beast than a dedicated racer. Fortunately I have seen many cars come and go for sale for around my budget that are prepped well enough to allow me the 3 or 4 times a year that I might actually get out

Your set up looks fantastic!

Thank you to all of those whom have already emailed or PM'd. The right car is out there.
Old 01-30-2008 | 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

3 or 4 times ... LOL. Trust me ... once you go, things change. It's unbelievable the experience.

I guess my point was vague ...

TWS is about 90 minutes from you.
MSR-C is about 2.5 hours from you.
MSR-H is about 2 hours from you.

Then there is Hennessey's track north of Houston, and Eagle's Canyon north of Ft. Worth. Lot's of possibilities for track time.

I'm really not trying to sell you my car, rather give you a heads up that the cash out-lay for a street car that sees track duty is significantly more expensive than having a dedicated track car.

Trending Topics

Old 01-30-2008 | 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your advice

...funny...i just now noticed you were selling the car. Out of curiosity, what are you asking?
Old 02-03-2008 | 06:56 AM
Teching In

Heres a ride for ya, price unknown but it's in texas and it runs 11's in the quarter....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?=855906
Old 02-04-2008 | 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

Sent you a PM!