Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Lets talk coolers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008 | 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Default Lets talk coolers.

On a M6 car:

Trans coolers- How would this work on a M6?

Diff coolers- What type of pump would be sutable seeing as how the viscosity of the oil is soooo high?

Oil coolers: This one I get, front mount unit by the rad. should work.

PS coolers: Is the factory SS cooler sufficient or would an add-on cooler help?

What is everyone running? I was looking at picking up another M6 LS1 for open road racing, if not possibly convert my SS to this type set-up.
Old 02-26-2008 | 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would like to know this also.
Old 02-27-2008 | 01:53 AM
12 Second Club

Me 2.

I did read in GM Hightech performance about PS coolers.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html

Good mag by the way..
Old 02-27-2008 | 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

I have done 4 HPDEs with my SS and had no problems with the steering and I am pushing it fairly hard. Really, I did not have issues with anything overheating.
Old 02-27-2008 | 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check out the turnone powersteering pump. its not overboosted like the stock pump, so its more firm, it also is more efficient and free up a very small bit of power. you can also buy a cheap auto trans cooler from jegs or summit and put it on one of your power steering lines
Old 02-28-2008 | 07:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2KnbmTA
check out the turnone powersteering pump. its not overboosted like the stock pump, so its more firm, it also is more efficient and free up a very small bit of power. you can also buy a cheap auto trans cooler from jegs or summit and put it on one of your power steering lines
I have an oil cooler and a power steering cooler on my car. Both coolers were inexpensive, its the plumbing that is costly. The oil cooler is a plate style bought from a local roundy round race shop (Lawrence Engineering) and the steering cooler is from HRP and is a tube/fin design. Both work well for me, sometimes too well. In the winter it takes a while to get the oil hot, so you have to be careful. I don't drive the car in the winter really, so its not a big deal.

Running the stock p/s pump, I have never had a problem with fluid. This season will more of a test with the upgrade to 17x11's at the the corners.

The addition of these coolers have had no measurable effect on the engine temps that I can tell. I have electric full sweep oil and water temp guages and have never seen the water above 200 really, maybe 205 at the most after succesive runs. Engine oil usually gets up to 190-220 after a series of runs.

I think the more serious guys run a water/oil cooler so the oil gets up to temp faster. Also when in grid with no air moving across the fins the water/oil cooler provides better cooling.

My set-up is probably not the ideal set-up, but it has been effective so far.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Lets talk coolers.-dcp00943_edited.jpg  
Old 02-28-2008 | 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Tilton offers a electric pump for gears and transmissions Setrab makes nice coolers.... -8 braided lines work well..

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2008 | 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

This is the setup in my C5.. Tilton pumps B&M coolers with fans attached and thermostat switch, -8 lines..
Old 03-02-2008 | 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
Tilton offers a electric pump for gears and transmissions Setrab makes nice coolers.... -8 braided lines work well..
I use a Setrab fan pack engine oil cooler mounted where the battery and overflow tank used to be located.
Old 03-14-2008 | 02:47 AM
Banned

i have a derele power steering rail cooler! works great on mine man, i hear the redline fluid is also a good fluid to use!

Quick Reply: Lets talk coolers.