Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Moser 12 bolt and road racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Moser 12 bolt and road racing

I installed a 12 bolt on my z28 a couple of years ago. Recently I started turning the wheel while I'm racing. I've also started to wonder whether having that rear end is going to be a positive or negative on a road racing set up -as compared to the stock 10 bolt.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The extra unsprung weight is definitely not helping things, but it's not really a big deal. The most important part is getting a diff that works well for turning, like a Trutrac or similar. Lockers and spools generally cause it to push on entry and get loose on exit.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, so did a little more research... what I have is the 33 spline eaton posi 4 series unit. Its not at truetrac... but its not a locker or spool.

Will this give me any advantage or disadvantage compared to the stock 10 bolt (I have 4.10s for what its worth)?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by General Jack
OK, so did a little more research... what I have is the 33 spline eaton posi 4 series unit. Its not at truetrac... but its not a locker or spool.

Will this give me any advantage or disadvantage compared to the stock 10 bolt (I have 4.10s for what its worth)?
I'm not sure how that diff works, but if it works half-way decent (I bet it does), then it won't be a problem. If the diff has a lot of bias, I could very well work better than the stock T2. I would guess worst case it doesn't work any worse than a stock T2. Overall, your gear ratio is *probably* not ideal for most tracks, but it really isn't a big deal, especially when you are just getting starting with HPDE. So, you are going to have a bit more unsprung weight, which, when you are just starting out at RR/HPDE, won't be noticeable at all.

I say go do some track events before worrying about messing with anything.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mojave
I'm not sure how that diff works, but if it works half-way decent (I bet it does), then it won't be a problem. If the diff has a lot of bias, I could very well work better than the stock T2. I would guess worst case it doesn't work any worse than a stock T2. Overall, your gear ratio is *probably* not ideal for most tracks, but it really isn't a big deal, especially when you are just getting starting with HPDE. So, you are going to have a bit more unsprung weight, which, when you are just starting out at RR/HPDE, won't be noticeable at all.

I say go do some track events before worrying about messing with anything.

Cool, thanks man.

The car is already A LOT of fun on the track... stock brakes and suspension are having a hard time keeping up with the power, but its a blast, especially coming out of the corners. Biggest downer at the moment is having the Nitto DRs on the rear, makes drifting a challenge. I've already spun it once after snap overstear caught me - fortunately I stayed on the track. I'm not going to try that again until I have some less grabby tires on the rear!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Actually, I think the eaton is supposed to be one of the better ones for this.

For the brakes, look into better pads. I just have aftermarket rotors, ceramic pads and high temp fluid and it does way better than stock. I have only really had mine fade once. That time was early in the weekend and I think they were glazed or something. They did great the rest of the weekend.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
Actually, I think the eaton is supposed to be one of the better ones for this.

For the brakes, look into better pads. I just have aftermarket rotors, ceramic pads and high temp fluid and it does way better than stock. I have only really had mine fade once. That time was early in the weekend and I think they were glazed or something. They did great the rest of the weekend.
Thanks, I'm probably going to go that route... haven't looked into the practicality of the C5 upgrade, but I'm guessing I'll stick with upgraded rotors and pads. I should probably do the fluid too.

Have you heard of/been down to Harris Hill Road in San Marcos?

Quick Reply: Moser 12 bolt and road racing