Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Wheel bearing replacement frequency for road racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Wheel bearing replacement frequency for road racing

How often should I expect to replace wheel bearings if I drive 3 or 4 HPDE's a year? Assume I would be driving a street car 6speed LS1 Fbody with 400hp or so at the crank on 315 (possibly 335) summer tires in the rear, maybe 275's up front.

I say summer tires, because I have recently read that it is much safer for novice track drivers to use non-race rubber and that some instructors won't ride with novice drivers using r-compounds. Comments are also welcome on the r-compound rubber statement.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Yes start on street tires, be able too drive it too the limits on the street tires first. Wheel bearings I have about 3 HPDE's on mine I hope they wouldn't need replaceing that quick.. Talk to some racers with NASA you said HPDE so I assume you run with NASA.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 99 Camaro that I regional raced with Goodyear GSCS tires and The bearings developed a lot of play almost immediately and stayed that way for three events before i replaced them. The bearing play really effects the brake pad knock back and gives you a long pedal.
Be carefull

trojjan
Old 04-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by formula87
Yes start on street tires, be able too drive it too the limits on the street tires first. Wheel bearings I have about 3 HPDE's on mine I hope they wouldn't need replaceing that quick.. Talk to some racers with NASA you said HPDE so I assume you run with NASA.
I don't run anything yet. I'm selling my only car to buy an econobox for daily driving and getting a weekend car that I can track. I'm trying to find out the associated costs of tracking a car a few times a year. That way I can figure out which car I can afford to track.

I checked on the NASA forum and the search results kept crapping out on me. I couldn't get any info and got frustrated with the site!

Originally Posted by trojjan
I had a 99 Camaro that I regional raced with Goodyear GSCS tires and The bearings developed a lot of play almost immediately and stayed that way for three events before i replaced them. The bearing play really effects the brake pad knock back and gives you a long pedal.
Be carefull

trojjan
How long did the newly replaced bearings last before needing replacement?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

I have done 4 HPDEs and my bearings are fine. Actually, I did have the bearings in the rear replaced because it was making noise but I attributed that to the infamous 10-bolt and not the track time.

I run with The Driver's Edge and they did change their rules last year to where you have to be solo qualified to run R Compounds.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Launching!

on street tires bearing should last a long, long time.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trojjan
Be carefull

trojjan

Similar results ... 3000# 96 TA on Toyo RA1s running regionally in CMC2. That equates to 6 weekends per year and about 2 hours of track time a weekend.

Some play is almost immediately evident. But it doesn't seem to get any worse over time.

Changing front hubs is in my off-season maintenance regiment. So I replace them, with new ARP studs, once a year.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing replacement frequency for road racing