Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

I won the 2008 NASA Nationals Championship! vid inside!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daves account starts about half way down the page.
http://www.camaromustangchallenge.co...r=asc&start=15
Old 09-19-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Regardless of who is right or wrong, Dave is making himself look like an *** in that thread
Old 09-19-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i idolized the guy prior to this event. not sure why i did, but he had a reputation of being really good. i wanted to see where i stacked up to him.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:38 AM
"Z"
Teching In

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
Regardless of who is right or wrong, Dave is making himself look like an *** in that thread
I agree 100%. My thoughts exactly.

Glenn, congratulations on the win. The race looked like a classic SCCA Trans-Am battle. The video you linked was great viewing for those of us dreamers who only have a slot car budget...lol
Old 09-20-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

funny you guys say that.
its really alot cheaper to do this than you think. my season budget is $3-5K for everything from bads and tires to food and gas, hotels...... everything. the week at Nationals costs about the same due to the length of time out of town and the tow distance.
the cars are really cheap to build since we use mostly 100% stock parts. i have $10K in my car, but its no faster than a $5K car.

the classic Trans-Am comment is awsome! thanks.
i can tell you this....... sometimes it really does feel like i'm living the life. Mondays after an event really suck bad!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

My only question about CMC is why the low power level requirement? Seems to me that a large precentage of the cars that appear in the video and I see on the forum would have to spend a good amount of money killing power and the 305 guys are spending a bunch of money to make power. Seems like a waste of money under the hood.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
My only question about CMC is why the low power level requirement? Seems to me that a large precentage of the cars that appear in the video and I see on the forum would have to spend a good amount of money killing power and the 305 guys are spending a bunch of money to make power. Seems like a waste of money under the hood.

Overall cost containment. If money can be spent it will be spent. Guys will spend the same amount on an ls1 and make a ton more power. In road racing its about heat management. The more power you make the sooner something else will break. Your brakes will overheat easier. Your tires will be used up quicker. Your transmission and diff break sooner. Your engine won't last as long either. Then you'll ask for better engine components (too last longer) You will ask for better transmissions (to last longer) You will ask for better diffs (to last longer) You will ask for better brakes (because you use up a set of pads every race). It just never ends. So where do you draw the line? Opinions vary.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just don't see where the costs are being contained. It would cost more for me to kill power in my stock LS1 than to run it the way it is from the factory. I am not talking about 500hp stuff, any stock block can live a million years at 300hp easy.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That was awesome! Great job!
Old 09-20-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trj20
Overall cost containment. If money can be spent it will be spent. Guys will spend the same amount on an ls1 and make a ton more power. In road racing its about heat management. The more power you make the sooner something else will break. Your brakes will overheat easier. Your tires will be used up quicker. Your transmission and diff break sooner. Your engine won't last as long either. Then you'll ask for better engine components (too last longer) You will ask for better transmissions (to last longer) You will ask for better diffs (to last longer) You will ask for better brakes (because you use up a set of pads every race). It just never ends. So where do you draw the line? Opinions vary.
Create motors last much longer then custom built big power motors.

Besides we all know road racing is about driver skill, not how much HP you have down the straights. Skill in highs speed cornering, lining yourself up for the pass takes lots of racecraft.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Just read the comments on the CMC forum. Do I detect sour grapes?

bad crew chief, three races, international sign of freindship ? Heck

That is why they call IT RACING.

Congrats again Glen. Great Job

Put that "NASA 2008 National Champion Sticker" on you B Pillar and show it with pride.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:12 AM
"Z"
Teching In

Originally Posted by Glenn98ZM6
funny you guys say that.
its really alot cheaper to do this than you think. my season budget is $3-5K for everything from bads and tires to food and gas, hotels...... everything. the week at Nationals costs about the same due to the length of time out of town and the tow distance.
the cars are really cheap to build since we use mostly 100% stock parts. i have $10K in my car, but its no faster than a $5K car.

the classic Trans-Am comment is awsome! thanks.
i can tell you this....... sometimes it really does feel like i'm living the life. Mondays after an event really suck bad!

For me, it's all the other expenses: hauler, trailer, pit equipment, and garage space for all of it.

Glenn, how would you build a street/track HPDE Camaro (not a daily driver) knowing what you know now from racing a slightly modified stock Camaro?

This is the best way for me to start Road Racing.

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by "Z"
For me, it's all the other expenses: hauler, trailer, pit equipment, and garage space for all of it.

Glenn, how would you build a street/track HPDE Camaro (not a daily driver) knowing what you know now from racing a slightly modified stock Camaro?

This is the best way for me to start Road Racing.

Thanks for any help.
Glenn and I both created street/track cars thinking, just as you, that all the support equipment would make it too expensive.

In today's economy, you can buy a nice 3/4 pick up truck for $3500 and a decent open trailer for $1200. A jack, jackstands and a $100 Craftsman tool set make up the bulk of the tools you need and $30 in gas cans from Wal-Mart means you are set.

I started out with a 90 F250 with a 460/Auto. I paid $1750 for it. It was a total POS but never left me stranded. I bought a Kwik-load trailer from a friend and had accumulated enough tools visiting my local pawn shop to have a decent pit selection.

I sold the pickup and trailer for more than I paid for them after 18 months of use and still have the same tools.

It was eye opening for me when I made the transition from open tracking my old Trans AM to racing my race car Trans AM. My O&M expenses went down considerably ... enough to pay for the truck and trailer.

Start small and build your support gear over time.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i got started in a 98Z. when i stopped mod'ing it, it was a bad ****. 450+rwhp/422rwtq, 315's on all 4's, brembo fronts, LG everything...... bla, bla, bla. once i realized how much money i had in my "street/open track" car i figured i could build 3-4 CMC cars. the point here is, i went from a set-up car w/ 4-5 years open track experiance to a 230hp/300tq stock Camaro w/ good shocks and custom spring rates and went faster. at my home track i've run a best of 1:27 or so in my street car (havent tracked it sence i built the race car) to a best of 1:24 in my race car. its not about power, its not about aftermarket sway bars, its not about big brakes. its about seat time and learning to drive. i learn each time i get out on track.

so....... if i was getting into HPDE knowing what i know now, i would get a 100% stock car, gut it (weight is the enemy) and put a set of Carbotech pads on it, a bias valve and ditch the ABS. make safety #1 - consider a cage. start off on street tires. consider a restrictor plate - the less power you have the quicker you will learn how to drive the limit. drive in the rain every chance you get. you will learn alot!

as for the post above about it costing money to make less power...... thats BS. i run a restrictor plate on my 100% stock LT1 to get it below the 230/300 limits. we have LS1 cars doing the same. he's keeping everything he can to keep power output to a minimum - stock airbox, ex manifolds from a 98 car, no LS6 intake, stock Y, and even a muffler.

support equipment is somehting you will need. trucks are cheep right now, and trailers can be had on the cheep too. lots of guys sell their street cars to fund the truck trailer. i have a 24' enclosed i paid $3500 for. i started w/ a open trailer that cost $1500.
if you dont have a garage, then its not the right time in your life for this. you do need a place to work on the car.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info guys!

I'm an old school drag racer that got the road racing bug. I'm just getting started.

Stock 98 Formula with a cat back, good rotors, ATE blue brake fluid, Hawk HPS pads.

I have been going to Beaver Run (near Pittsburgh) on Wednesday nights. http://www.beaverun.com/thrills_autocross.htm

It is a blast!

After last weeks auto x the program director took us out for "parade" laps on the road course - six laps later I was hooked! 1.5 miles/lap with 12 turns.

Unbelievable fun for the $$$.

Driver skills is what it's all about! - Tires and brakes help too ;-)

A couple of the seasoned road racers advised me to spend my money on good rubber and forget about the engine mods.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats a perfect 2010 CMC car. look up the rules as CMC and CMC-2 will merge in 2010 and be one class.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lars1361
I'm an old school drag racer that got the road racing bug. I'm just getting started.
A couple of the seasoned road racers advised me to spend my money on good rubber and forget about the engine mods.
That's pretty good advice . I used to drag race (non-competitively) my '02 Z28, and always desired more "go fast" parts for it. Then I found road racing. I haven't added a single darn "go fast" mod in almost ~2 years! But I HAVE added a pretty good suspension to the car, and spent money on tires and brakes ... money well spent .

I recently purchased a fully race-prepped '93 Z28. It is ~500 lbs lighter than my '02, and probably ~80 - 100 HP less. I still expect it to be faster around the track than my '02 . You do the math . More power means nothing when you throw corners at the car. I've been beaten by several lower HP cars than my own, but with better handling/braking setups, and most importantly, better drivers. Seat time is ultimately where it's at.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Congrats!!! Awesome video. I love how you mounted the camera so you could also see the rear view mirror. Good Job!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

I run the restricted LS1 with Mitch/Glenn and am having a blast. I wouldn't do anything else. I really wanted to get into heads up drag racing but that usually boils down to who has the fattest wallet for that particular class. Its also so much more fun off the track with the CMC Texas group.
My Ls1 has been running great with a plastic restrictor slid into the plenum right in front of the throttle body. I have several different sizes depending on how much power I need to make. The engine/trans/rear should have a good life at 260rwhp/300 rwtq. Its much cheaper than spending money on heads/cams,pistons/headers etc and then not having a benchmark to compare your abilities. CMC really does its best to make it about the driver instead of who can spend the most money on their car. Even if you have a car with bolt ons you can sell you stuff and practically get the stock stuff for free.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS168Camaro
I run the restricted LS1 with Mitch/Glenn and am having a blast. I wouldn't do anything else. I really wanted to get into heads up drag racing but that usually boils down to who has the fattest wallet for that particular class. Its also so much more fun off the track with the CMC Texas group.
My Ls1 has been running great with a plastic restrictor slid into the plenum right in front of the throttle body. I have several different sizes depending on how much power I need to make. The engine/trans/rear should have a good life at 260rwhp/300 rwtq. Its much cheaper than spending money on heads/cams,pistons/headers etc and then not having a benchmark to compare your abilities. CMC really does its best to make it about the driver instead of who can spend the most money on their car. Even if you have a car with bolt ons you can sell you stuff and practically get the stock stuff for free.
Bryan has made huge strides on and off the track this year. I was extremely lucky at TWS.

Quick Reply: I won the 2008 NASA Nationals Championship! vid inside!