Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header install front 02 code?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006 | 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Default header install front 02 code?

i read somethin about throwin a front 02 code from installing long tube headers, im about to install mine and im terrified cause of all the horror stories i hear on here about peoples cars running terrible and i need to pass 0bdII emissions, no visual but i need to be clear of codes ill have the rears deleted but if it throws a front what would cause it?
Old 02-26-2006 | 09:04 PM
Launching!
20 Year Member

Usually the front o2's will throw a code for a slow signal. This is mainly due to the sensors not being able to stay heated as a result from the added distance from their original position. It is easily solved by purchasing covette rear o2 sensors. These are produced with a higher heater voltage so they will stay hotter than the fbody sensors, thus throwing no codes and a better reading from the sensor.
Old 02-28-2006 | 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, I have longtubes as well and I had some issues with the SES light. I only had problems with the passenger side front O2 sensor, I got the "insufficient switching" code which is the problem the guy with the german name above me just described. I put the Vette sensors in, I believe they are a Bosch part but I forgot the part number. They are the rear sensor though of a Corvette, so as a result they come with very long cables, so no need for you to purchase the O2 extensions which are usually necessary with Long tubes.

My problem was intermittent still even after I put the rear O2 sensors from the Vette in. But ever since we had colder weather, I'd say for about the last 3 or 4 months, my SES light hasn't come back on (knock on wood). Usually what happened was that it would come intermittently....it would be on for 2 weeks, then be gone for a month. My car is cammed, so for some reason when the SES light was on, the car would surge more than usual. I don't know if my car fixed itself or if the cold weather is responsible for the SES not coming on anymore. It makes sorta sense that the cold weather is keeping the O2 sensor busier and maybe warmer and therefore don't set the code off anymore.

Depending on the header you are using, some people have more issues than others, I'd ask around to see what people had good luck with what header/O2 sensor combo and go with that.

Manny
Old 03-23-2006 | 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

My experience is similar to MannyZ28. I have rear Vette O2 sensors, with long tubes, and a small cam.

My sensor kicks up when its cold. Like MannyZ28, it usually stays on for a week or two. Then off. If it warms up, sensor seems to be happy.

Wish I knew the problem. Screwy O2 turn on may cause computer to do something that I don't want.
Old 03-23-2006 | 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

The bosch p/n is 13111, I've had them for 3 months, intermittent SES light, when it's cold the SES light comes on, when it warms up the SES light stays off. It doesn't appear to have an effect on how the car runs, so I just ignore it (thought about taking the bulb out, but I'd like to know if something else goes wrong)
Old 04-06-2006 | 08:32 PM
Launching!

I have the same problem it is SO annoying. I hate that light