Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4th gen 9" installation help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gen 9" installation help needed

I got a question. I just put a 9" in my 4th gen car and still awaiting parts to complete trans swap to attach Torque arm. I ran into someone else who did the same and is struggleing with set up. viewing from the rear of his car the driveshaft is on an angle so that rear of it is toward passanger side, and then his torque arm is opposite. rear is angled toward drivers side. so my question: is the 9" housing fabricated so that the center section of housing is offset toward drivers side of car to compensate so the third member yoke (which on the 9" is offset) is actually centered in tunnel when overall housing is centered?hope this make sense. just hoping when I get to this point I don't have the same struggles. this other guy is so frustrated that he's ready to pull the 9". pic is of other guys car
Old 04-05-2016, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

yep this is correct , the 9inch is so big it cheats it and puts some left and some stuff right . This is the reason i went with a mwc fabricated 9 inch .
Old 04-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Mine has the tabs for torque arm like MWC uses. instead of them tubes Moser uses.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 97lt1stroker

I got a question. I just put a 9" in my 4th gen car and still awaiting parts to complete trans swap to attach Torque arm. I ran into someone else who did the same and is struggleing with set up. viewing from the rear of his car the driveshaft is on an angle so that rear of it is toward passanger side, and then his torque arm is opposite. rear is angled toward drivers side. so my question: is the 9" housing fabricated so that the center section of housing is offset toward drivers side of car to compensate so the third member yoke (which on the 9" is offset) is actually centered in tunnel when overall housing is centered?hope this make sense. just hoping when I get to this point I don't have the same struggles. this other guy is so frustrated that he's ready to pull the 9". pic is of other guys car

This is correct, a stamped 9" housing utilizing a stock style mounting torque arm will move the torque arm to the passenger side and the driveshaft over to the passenger side to make room for it all to work. Once it is said and done the torque arm makes contact with the drivers side floor board and in some instances making driveshaft loop fitment an issue.

We can get away with this because our torque arm does not use a stock style mounting torque arm.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
This is correct, a stamped 9" housing utilizing a stock style mounting torque arm will move the torque arm to the passenger side and the driveshaft over to the passenger side to make room for it all to work. Once it is said and done the torque arm makes contact with the drivers side floor board and in some instances making driveshaft loop fitment an issue.

We can get away with this because our torque arm does not use a stock style mounting torque arm.

what I don't understand is why can't I use the torque arm that mounts directly to the tabs on the housing as yours does beings I have the tabs there and not like the Moser setup. and not use the bracket that allows you to use the stock TA? eliminating that intermediate bracket.isn't the 9" stamped housing the same?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 97lt1stroker
what I don't understand is why can't I use the torque arm that mounts directly to the tabs on the housing as yours does beings I have the tabs there and not like the Moser setup. and not use the bracket that allows you to use the stock TA? eliminating that intermediate bracket.isn't the 9" stamped housing the same?
We offer a torque arm just for this reason. If you are interested give us a call and we can explain how it works. (309)382-6252.

Quick Reply: 4th gen 9" installation help needed