turbo lq4 Caprice wagon

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parts home from machine shop!

Hey Guys!

Little update finally.

Got my stuff back from the machine shop. They did excellent work and im very happy with the result for the price. The shop is Atlantic Crankshaft in Tuckahoe, Nj.

Heres what was done

block honed to get ride of surface rust
new main bearings
new cam bearings
new rod bearings
new piston rings
short block assembled
all arp bolts in short block(i provided them)
317 heads port and polished
valve seals
valve seat check and cleaning

total=$1100

I picked up a double roller timing set cuz i think they are cool. i dont care if its not any better.

Next purchase is some sort of cam, either custom or from comp cam along with accompanying springs and pushrods. Then ill assemble the heads and round off the long block.
I've decided im going to buy 2 separate cams. A big lopey N/A cam and then when im ready a turbo cam because i really wanna experience both types and learn about both.

When i can find a good deal, ill get a f-body/cts-v oil pan with probably an slp ported oil pump ( i know you guys recommended its not needed but im just trying to bullet proof this mf)

Thanks guys. Ill keep you guys updated

6.0L Block with Lq4 Pistons and crank

Short block with 317 heads ported and polished

6.0L Block with Lq4 pistons and crank
Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is awesome. I've owned two of these wagons and have wanted to put a turbo LS in one for yearsssss. Look forward to seeing the end result.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Hey just started the same swap.. What mounts and crossmember you going with ?
Old 03-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by busa3268
Hey just started the same swap.. What mounts and crossmember you going with ?
im gonna run kds mounts. its like 100 bucks for a set and it places the motor in the exact same location. as far as crossmember, ill have to cross that bridge when i get there. might fab up a custom tubular set up but we'll see. money has been tighter than id like so progess is a bit slower than id like but owell, thats life.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Teching In

hey guys, so as per usual, the build never goes as expected and pretty much nothing has been accomplished since my last post. its been forever.

luckily i keep up with the care so i oil the **** outta all my parts and all is still good.

but now im back and starting to pick up some parts.

im gonna go with a custom cam from tick performance but i have a couple of bit of info i need to decide on before i send him the order sheet. like always money is still on the deciding factor.

on the previous topics, im going with a stock oil pump, an f body oil pan, and a megasquirt system from the efisource. im still stuck on my decision of intakes. i wanna run like a mid ram or just a fast lsx intake but they are stupid expensive. i like the edelbrock dual plane performer rpm but i know nothing about the carb intakes. i know you gotta pick up an efi elbow. will it still be port injection? or will i loose that and end up with a tbi system?

any info or facts about intakes would be super helpful. thanks guys.
fyi. turbo is not even on the list right now.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be glad to help you with your cam selection as well!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Respect the wagon.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Teching In

I am really loving the idea of a LS in a b body wagon ! I am planning to do one when the funds show up . Got to luv a wagon !
Old 04-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
I'd be glad to help you with your cam selection as well!
Hey Martin, i actually just ordered my cam from tick performance. i dont know if you are still with them but i hope you are cuz i was looking to give you my business.
i ordered the stage 2 blower cam even though one of the guys named matt recommended a stage 1. i told him im an idiot and want the more radical cam.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Might as well post another update while im on here.

like i just posted, i ordered my cam and valve train parts and a handful more of arp stuff. i've also had a change in plans yet again.
i ended up picking up a lsa blower from ebay for a steal before they were the hot new trend in lsx swaps. i also picked up a ls converted lt1 t56 which im going to build at some point.

here are a few pictures of the parts and my new daily that i inherited from my brother when he moved out of state.

eaton 1900

t56 with the blower in the box

suzuki xl7 with a light bar. it isnt terrible offroad surprisingly
Old 04-10-2016, 05:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkrems123
Hey Martin, i actually just ordered my cam from tick performance. i dont know if you are still with them but i hope you are cuz i was looking to give you my business.
i ordered the stage 2 blower cam even though one of the guys named matt recommended a stage 1. i told him im an idiot and want the more radical cam.
No, I haven't worked there since October of last year.

All of the shelf blower cams I designed when I worked at Tick were for centrifugal applications. A centrifugal and a positive displacement blower utilize totally different valve events for best power.

The LSA blower from my experience along with other small positive displacement blowers doesn't like a lot of overlap, which the Stage 2 cam has IIRC 4-5 degrees of overlap @.050" lobe lift.

Like any camshaft, it will work, but I don't think it's going to be 100% optimal.

Quick Reply: turbo lq4 Caprice wagon