Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

headlight wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight wiring

Ok here is the question. I am still waiting on my wiring board so I am using a leash relay board at the moment. I am attempting to use the stock headlight switch but the issue is it supplies 12v constant to both headlight motors. the switch does not send power to each wire separate to raise and lower them just constant 12 to all 4 wires. I am not seeing in the wiring diagram where there is something that switches power to raise and lower them.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There is a headlight door actuator module on the left side of the engine compartment near junction box #2. It has two black connectors... a 5-pin connector containing the power and trigger inputs and a 4-pin connector containing the output to the two motors. The module contains a solid state circuit that controls a 4PDT relay with two pairs of flip-flop contacts that reverse the output polarity to the motors to open and close them.

The inputs consist of separate left and right power supplies coming from the two HDLP DR 15A mini-fuses in junction box #1 (both orange wires), a headlight on signal (yellow wire) and a parking light on signal (brown wire) coming from the headlight switch and a chassis ground (black wire).

The module opens the doors when it first sees 12V on the yellow headlight input wire. It will leave the headlights open as long as it sees voltage on either the headlight or parking light wires. It reverses polarity and closes the doors when both the headlight and parking light wires have no voltage (i.e. if you turn the switch from headlight to parking light the headlights will remain up until you turn the switch to off).
Old 04-25-2016, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply and details that u gave me. I found all the wires you described and ran 12v to the appropriate wires (2 orange and one red to the actual switch). When dwitch is off I get 0 volts to the yellow wire and 7v to the brown wire and 12v to all the wires to the motors. When I turn the switch to parking I get 12v to the brn wire 0 to the yellow 12 to the motor wires. Switch in the headlight position I get 12v to all the wires. So I am confused as to what is causing the headlights to come up but not down. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Ok figured it out, The brown wire from the switch needed ran to the yellow headlight wire, the brown wire from the module gets wired to the running lights.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, not unless you're trying to change the way it works from the factory configuration. The wires from the headlight switch should not be cross connected to the headlight door module. The yellow wire from the switch goes to pin A of the module as the "headlights on" signal and the brown wire from the switch goes to pin C of the module as the "parking lights on" signal.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, not unless you're trying to change the way it works from the factory configuration. The wires from the headlight switch should not be cross connected to the headlight door module. The yellow wire from the switch goes to pin A of the module as the "headlights on" signal and the brown wire from the switch goes to pin C of the module as the "parking lights on" signal.
i do not have a stock computer or stock wiring installed this will be run through an aftermarket wiring board. When I connect the brown wire from the switch to the yellow wire the switch works correctly. In the wiring diagram it shows the brown wire and yellow wires running through the DRL module.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Actually, the yellow and browns also go to the DRL module but they do not go through it (i.e. if the DRL module is not there, the headlight doors still work).

Wiring the way you have it means the headlights go up and down with the parking lights rather than with the headlights.

98-02 Firebird Headlight Doors Schematic

If you are using the OEM headlight door module and have both brown (parking lights) and yellow (headlights) wires then there is no reason to wire the module differently than stock regardless of what other wiring harness you may be using.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Actually, the yellow and browns also go to the DRL module but they do not go through it (i.e. if the DRL module is not there, the headlight doors still work).

Wiring the way you have it means the headlights go up and down with the parking lights rather than with the headlights.

98-02 Firebird Headlight Doors Schematic

If you are using the OEM headlight door module and have both brown (parking lights) and yellow (headlights) wires then there is no reason to wire the module differently than stock regardless of what other wiring harness you may be using.
Well somehow the switch works properly. the headlights go up when turned to the full on position, off when in the center position, and closed when off. The running lights see 0 volts in off and 12 when in center and full on positions so I am not sure how it could be incorrect if everything is working properly with the switch

Quick Reply: headlight wiring