Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Remove ATI Pin Kit - LS1

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Remove ATI Pin Kit - LS1

Did a search - can't find anything.

My shop is trying to remove the pin. How is that done? Checked ATI's site but found installation instructions only. Is a GM certified and very credentialed mechanic - even so aftermarket products are sometimes once only so hadn't seen this method before,

If it is not press fitted in, one would think it would fly out with rotation of the crank unless the torque of the crank bolt against the damper is enough to keep it from falling out.

Was told to try to use a magnet to pull it out. Would think one would not have to drill it out. It's a 3/16 X 1/2 inch dowel pin according to ATI.

ATI has new phone system - so was left hanging a couple of time with no response. But at least they did answer the phone.

Anyone?
Old 06-02-2016, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Its just a press fit-the tool lines it up, then you drill it, then you use the supplied reamer to open it up for the press fit-prob has a little lock tight
on it maybe-I cant remember if you can knock it thru to the inside of the crank then just use a mag. and pull it out or not
Maybe a little heat, then catch it with vise grips-worst comes to worst just grind it down flush with the crank
Old 06-02-2016, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Why remove it? The pin that I put in from Magnacharger was a pull pin. Meaning it had a threaded ID (hole) for just this purpose. If it is a press fit dowel with no ID thread then you will probably have to take the crank bolt out and pull the balancer if you can't knock it through.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Did a search - can't find anything.

My shop is trying to remove the pin. How is that done? Checked ATI's site but found installation instructions only. Is a GM certified and very credentialed mechanic - even so aftermarket products are sometimes once only so hadn't seen this method before,

If it is not press fitted in, one would think it would fly out with rotation of the crank unless the torque of the crank bolt against the damper is enough to keep it from falling out.

Was told to try to use a magnet to pull it out. Would think one would not have to drill it out. It's a 3/16 X 1/2 inch dowel pin according to ATI.

ATI has new phone system - so was left hanging a couple of time with no response. But at least they did answer the phone.

Anyone?

I believe you are referring to the one made by ATI Performance Products, pn# 918993, shown above. The pin is installed before the prior to installing the balancer and the balancer's keyway is then lined up with the pin and the balancer is installed. The balancer can also be removed without removing the pin. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-02-2016, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Got it out. I didn't see him remove it and rather than try to explain and make a mistake in my explanation, once the crank bolt is out it apparently drops through and/or is accessible from inside the snout of the crankshaft. It's not very long. It appears the crank bolt it what holds it from dropping through after it is installed again and all parts are put back on.

Doing a cam (Brute Speed blower cam) and lifters upgrade along with some other repairs and checks to make sure not missing anything before putting it back together. Wasn't asking how to remove it just for the sake of removing it.

Thanks Bob. I had emailed him the ATI instructions I found on their website after I talked to you.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Got it out. I didn't see him remove it and rather than try to explain and make a mistake in my explanation, once the crank bolt is out it apparently drops through and/or is accessible from inside the snout of the crankshaft. It's not very long. It appears the crank bolt it what holds it from dropping through after it is installed again and all parts are put back on.

Doing a cam (Brute Speed blower cam) and lifters upgrade along with some other repairs and checks to make sure not missing anything before putting it back together. Wasn't asking how to remove it just for the sake of removing it.

Thanks Bob. I had emailed him the ATI instructions I found on their website after I talked to you.
You're welcome, thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Remove ATI Pin Kit - LS1