Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Help needed with deciding engine bay paint scheme!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help needed with deciding engine bay paint scheme!

I have a RED 2002 trans am I am installing a new motor and a pro charger. Planning to have the engine bay repainted high gloss red instead of the crappy flat red look it has from the factory. But as far as coils, valve covers, front timing cover, coil brackets, alternator brackets etc I'm not sure what color to scheme to go with on the engine. I will probably have all of those parts powder coated. WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON A COLOR SCHEME!
Old 08-27-2016, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this looks sick. Ultimately you have to do what you like though. I'm probably doing a purple theme in my engine bay on my green car. Probably will receive a ton of hate for it but its my car and that's what matters.

Enough about my turdbox though. Black or Chrome. Get some **** hydrodipped too.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

A simple formula for a good looking engine bay is to go with a good amount of black.. A comnination of gloss, matte and/or satin finishes will go a long way. Some real carbon fiber (and/or vinyl) can be a nice addition as well since it doesn't add color yet creats more variation along with the different black finishes. Add to that some nice touches of polished aluminum, chrome etc. to add a little shine. Even just some new nuts and bolts will make a big difference.. Hose clamps and othe misc. items too.

As for adding color-- get it all painted in the same exact way so it all matches perfect. Nothing worse than having multiple items done in the "same" color, but they don't actually match.. This is really worth considering if you are going to try to repaint the inner fenders or intake body colored. It looks really bad when the color is off when compared to the exterior paint.

And while you're in there try to shave/smooth any unnecessary holes or uneven areas.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 08-27-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys! Ya I'm thinking a lot of powder coated black parts with maybe red carbon coils color matched to the car. And maybe the intake charge pipe from the intercooler to the intake hydrodipped
Old 08-28-2016, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with Crimson....x2 on different finishes. Shiny things where you want eyes drawn, dial it back with mattes, satins, etc for things you don't. Unless you insist on being "different", stick with blacks, tones of grey, etc.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Ok here is some high gloss black, matte black and chrome this company has . Now where to place these colors. And I also attached one that is black chrome. Not sure what to think of it.

Valve cover Chrome?
coil bracket chrome?
coils black??
fast intake flat black or gloss black?
Charge pipe high gloss black or chrome?
Front timing cover???
fuel rails & throttle body are already anodized black
a/c accumulator bracket chrome
alternator bracket chrome

Old 08-31-2016, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

black and chrome. Polished parts too.

Quick Reply: Help needed with deciding engine bay paint scheme!