Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone using these cheaper catch cans off of amazon/ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Well few years back I got a Rev Extreme can at time I think Mike Norris can and it were the best at that time . But I received some flack for my praise of its quality. And I suggested back then that I guy could make his own if he has decent fab skills. I think Thunderstruck should be commended for a good job, I believe he is one of the first on the forum to make his own can. To me the most important qualities for any part is 1. Does it function properly for intended use 2. Does it meet or exceed the performance aspect of intended use . 3.Quality of materials used. Its durability, will it last for a long time. 4. Ease of installation. While aesthetics and price are important if the above are not met it does not matter how good it looks or costs.
Thunderstruck made a can that works bottom line. I bet if it were painted with wrinkle paint or just flat black ,most cats could tell it was pcv . Its easy to set back and nit pick somebody else's work.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I made my own can. They're pretty simple in design really. You can use baffles or a filter media. I did the baffled type.

some 3" ID tube from work. petcock on the bottom to drain oil.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks for the support guys.

catch cans can be very simple and not hard to make. even a completely empty cylinder has *some* ability to do good.

but they are not all the same or do all the same things. thorough research is your friend along with identifying exactly what you need your crankcase ventilation system to do for you.

work with my valve covers?
run a pcv system?
catch pcv oil?
boost protection?
stabilize crankcase pressure for your particular build?
made in the usa?
up gradable or reconfigurable?
oil window?
customer support?
warranty/guarantee?
work with mass air sensor?
recirculate fumes?

just a few of the questions
The following users liked this post:
JoshuaGrooms83 (01-12-2024)

Quick Reply: anyone using these cheaper catch cans off of amazon/ebay?