Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 El Camino 6.0L build

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Used the Fine Lines products on my GS 455. Stainless fuel lines and regular brake lines. This was 1999, and everything still looks new after 25,000 miles. I think they supply YR1. Elky is gonna be nice when your done.

Jim
Old 11-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll second the NiCopp lines for brakes, so much easier to work with, wish I'd have used it instead of the stainless kit I used on my Malibu.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 903 Posts

I'll third the use of NiCopp lines. These guys are supposed to be the **** for NiCopp:

http://www.fedhillusa.com

But I admit that I just bought the Chinese stuff off Amazon.

Andrew
Old 11-05-2016, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sure somebody sells a pre bent kit. That's the route I would take. It would free up some time to tackle the rest of it
Old 11-06-2016, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

So the brake line issue is as follows

The pre-bent stainless stuff is almost $200
It doesn't include any flex lines or the hard lines on the rear end.
No matter what I'll need to buy a couple flex lines for the front, one for the center rear and two for the rear calipers.

So I was thinking as long as I have to build lines on the rear end I'll end up buying a flaring tool and stuff and I may just be better off trying to do all the lines myself.

I think its sounds like I should go for the copper nickel stuff. Its pretty reasonably priced and I think I'll end up being able to buy a good flaring tool and the parts for a bit more than the stainless hard line kit plus I'll have lines for the rear end.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a bench vice?

If so, and you do decide on doing your own lines, I highly recommend this Eastwood flaring tool: http://www.eastwood.com/professional...ring-tool.html

It makes flaring stupid easy.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i have the ridgid 345dl, which is pretty solid but that eastwood thing looks like the way to go
Old 11-11-2016, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

I've left the frame alone for almost 2 weeks and I think the paint is ready to start putting things back on.
I really want to get new A-Arms but the budget isn't going to allow it right now (its on the list for after the car is together and running) so I'm just going to run the stock stuff I put poly bushings and new ball joints in years ago.
In a perfect world I'd call up UMI and have their front and rear kit sent over, but thats not the case so please understand why the arms aren't as shiny and perfect as the frame.

It is nice that all the arms on the rear still fit after the welding, and all the poly bushings have a new layer of grease so they aren't squeaking anymore.

I'm going to rent a spring compressor because I broke mine a while ago and then I'll have the front end on. The rear end will have to wait till after I get brake lines on the rear end housing. I ordered my brake lines and fittings and line clamps so I should be all set to start on that part of the project soon.

And in case you're wondering I'm building the exhaust for my Fiero so thats what all that stuff is doing in the middle of my garage. Should have that buttoned up this weekend.

Jessica
Old 11-21-2016, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Cruising right along with the frame and stuff.
I picked up a Winters Art Carr Shifter locally for cheap so I may try to use that.
Its a little weird but I like the fact you can up shift and down shift easily unlike a ratchet shifter.

It came with a console and shift **** but I'm going to try something else with it. If I can fit it in my Camaro console then I can finish up welding in the interior and move onto finishing the bottom of the car and putting the body back on the frame.

I also assembled the front suspension (and put some washers on the wrong side of the bolt and will need to pull my upper A-arms to fix it) and it uncluttered the garage a ton.

The front frame brace fits well and doesn't interfere with any of the other stuff going on up there.

The frame is noticeably stiffer with the brace and trans cross member installed. If I lifted one frame horn before the other side wouldn't lift up right away and the frame would twist quite a bit. Now if I lift one side the other comes right up with it and its basically parallel. I hope the back end is as solid when I get it assembled.

I also got my brake line kit, so I'll be doing that soon. I'm going to start with the rear end first so it'll be done before it goes back under the frame.

A friend of mine is going to loan me a flare tool so I will be trying that out and hopefully it goes well.

Jessica
Old 11-21-2016, 06:57 PM
Teching In

looking good! I'm jelly of all the progress you've made. If I get ten minutes I'm lucky.

keep up the good work!
Old 11-22-2016, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z71yacht
looking good! I'm jelly of all the progress you've made. If I get ten minutes I'm lucky.

keep up the good work!
Thanks,
I wish I had more time to work on it myself.
At least its in the garage so I can work on it after the sun goes down unlike my other projects.
I feel like I'm always working on another car or dealing with family/work obligations. I think I'm getting close to having my Fiero finished, and when its on the road I can stop spending all my weekends and nights working on it
I just finished building the exhaust, and modifying the cooling system this last weekend. So I'm going to try and get the fuel system and the wiring done over the Thanksgiving holiday. If that works out I'll just need to send the PCM off to get tuned and I'll be ready to do some shake down runs and finish up the little stuff.
Jessica
Old 01-03-2017, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

I can't believe I've been away from the thread for so long!
I guess it was the holiday break
Luckily I've gotten a lot done on my projects so here is an update!
First off I finished the Fiero, It runs and I'm now taking care of tuning issues.
I'm also looking at getting HP Tuners now (to deal with the Fiero) instead of waiting like I had originally planned.

I have a very nice friend who builds hot rods and I reached out to him for advice on the brakes, and he was so cool and gave me the Eastwood flare tool he had so I could do this project. I can't believe how great the tool works, and it has been used to build brakes for at least 5 cars that I know of.
I'm so thankful for him loaning me the tool and I've been really pushing to get the project done as soon as I can.

One nice thing to know, '77 Camaro braided stainless lines are a great bolt on solution for these LS1 Camaro brakes I put on the car. Plus they are very reasonably priced through Summit.

I tried to mount the hose in the stock location on the 9" so I used some scrap aluminum.

This was my first attempt at bending and flaring lines and I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I'll probably switch out the zip ties for hose clamps in the future to hold the lines to the housing.

It was below freezing and I spend about 3 hours out in the garage to get the rear suspension back in the car.

I decided to go with a Wilwood front and rear disc proportioning valve with a built in rear disc bias adjuster. I also installed a line lock, because I've always wanted one and this really is the perfect time to plumb one in.

Started on the fuel system as well, I think I'm going to run some hard line to the front from the filter but I'm just going run -AN lines to the tank.

I am so happy to see this coming together, it has really helped my morale. I'm also really happy to be onto the home stretch on the Fiero even if I wanted it done before the new year.

My next step on the Elky will be to clean the bottom of the body and finish up any welding I've skipped. I want to finish up the interior bracket welding as well. My overall goal will be to paint the bottom of the car in the spring or early summer (whenever the weather gets warmer and I can trust I'll have a few days for the paint to cure).

I may also try to test fit the engine and trans in the frame without the body on so I can start figuring out how I will need to modify the headers and maybe start to build some of the exhaust.

Thanks for looking and for all the support everyone
Jessica
Old 01-04-2017, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

sweet lincoln's beard! i dont know how you can work unheated in this weather!
you gotta get a salamander or one of those harbor freight propane heaters

anyhoo, nice work on the el camino. almost there!
Old 01-04-2017, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by truckdoug
sweet lincoln's beard! i dont know how you can work unheated in this weather!
you gotta get a salamander or one of those harbor freight propane heaters

anyhoo, nice work on the el camino. almost there!
Yeah; its stupid and I hate it. I have been looking to get a propane heater, unfortunately its a little cramped in the garage so until I get this frame back under the body I think I'm stuck working in the cold...or using an electric heater and hating the bill.
Jessica
Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Well I'm done flaring and bending brake lines!

Finished the front brake lines last night.

I got too cold so I'll have to go back and finish attaching the clamps and tightening everything back up. I also have to paint the brackets for the front soft lines so that will be interesting in these temps. I'm thinking I bring the parts and paint inside to warm up then I paint them outside and bring them back inside to cure.
Jessica
Old 01-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Very nice. It looks like you've got about as much space as me! haha. Your elco build has motivated me to finally start mine. I hope it's at least half as thorough as yours.

keep up the good work!
Old 01-07-2017, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

ahhh the corvette regulator! noooooooooo
Old 01-07-2017, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z71yacht
Very nice. It looks like you've got about as much space as me! haha. Your elco build has motivated me to finally start mine. I hope it's at least half as thorough as yours.

keep up the good work!
Hopefully your project will go a lot faster than mine! Good luck!
Jessica
Old 01-07-2017, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by truckdoug
ahhh the corvette regulator! noooooooooo
So whats the issue with the regulator? I had heard good things from a couple guys I know did swaps, I'm not planning a huge HP build so I thought it would be OK (mostly because it is a factory part on Corvettes).
Honestly I'd like to know what to do instead, I really wanted to use it because it looked easy.
Any advice you can give me would be appreciated, be as detailed as you can
Jessica
Old 01-07-2017, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

so I tried two different ones on my truck and both gave wildly different pressures at the rail. no way to adjust it down to 4 bar.

an acquaintance of mine had similar problems on his bone stock 5.3 volvo swap.

the fix was a switch to the stock truck return type set up. tuning was a breeze after that was sussed.

Quick Reply: 78 El Camino 6.0L build