Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tis the reason I want an automatic (footage I took today)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i went to automatics in the late 90's after breaking 3 m21's in a row. once i went to a super t10 i started breaking other stuff. spit a c-clip axle...that was a butthole puckering experience.

put in a bone stock 400, and a state of the art B&M converter lol and went faster and stopped hemorrhaging money.

that was back when you could get a good m21 for like $300 which seemed really expensive haha
Old 11-16-2016, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
What are your thoughts about the 6 speed, when jacking around on the street....as opposed to the automatic?
I find it fun, little slower on the spool timing, my tires are terrible so pretty well every gear is useless. Still kinda hard to beat a built auto turbo car when it starts making steam though. Also i was so use to the auto I knew when tires would break loose, now its a guessing game of what the car is going to do.

Jay
Old 11-16-2016, 01:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jay_rich
I find it fun, little slower on the spool timing, my tires are terrible so pretty well every gear is useless. Still kinda hard to beat a built auto turbo car when it starts making steam though. Also i was so use to the auto I knew when tires would break loose, now its a guessing game of what the car is going to do.

Jay
"Guessing game" is the exact reason it ditched mine.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

My car will go auto one day! But many people switch I think because the don't pay attention to the details with a m6. From suspension and ride height to even releasing the clutch correctly.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
My car will go auto one day! But many people switch I think because the don't pay attention to the details with a m6. From suspension and ride height to even releasing the clutch correctly.
Agree! With a few adjustments its not hard to cut a 1.4-1.5 60' even in a heavy car. Going to a manual from an auto I had to adjust my rear shocks, learn the clutch, and play with tire pressure. In 4-5 passes I was within a tenth or so of my auto 60' granted it takes a lot more effort, but to me effort is fun!
Old 11-18-2016, 09:45 AM
7 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 203 Posts

There is something to be said about guys who want to keep the third pedal in a car that makes enough power to warrant an auto, it's called always being slower than the guy with the auto. LOL! But hey you can say you managed to get one good pass out of 10 so you have that going for you. Double LOL!

OK enough poking fun at the manual guys because for the longest time I was one of them. I said I would never change because I really enjoyed banging gears and the challenge of it, then I figured out I liked winning more. Seriously though once you have a car that is making an appreciable amount of power a correctly setup auto will be faster in EVERY situation including rolls, etc.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:50 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NicD
There is something to be said about guys who want to keep the third pedal in a car that makes enough power to warrant an auto, it's called always being slower than the guy with the auto. LOL! But hey you can say you managed to get one good pass out of 10 so you have that going for you. Double LOL!

OK enough poking fun at the manual guys because for the longest time I was one of them. I said I would never change because I really enjoyed banging gears and the challenge of it, then I figured out I liked winning more. Seriously though once you have a car that is making an appreciable amount of power a correctly setup auto will be faster in EVERY situation including rolls, etc.
So much truth here
Old 11-18-2016, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree, automatic is king. I was convinced of this after going for a ride in the car that I posted in the video. When he took me back to my car, I knew right then and there that the t56 was about to be ghost. Only thing now is, I'm going to have to do something with this tune to get back the power I'm about to lose with this 400. No biggie though.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:25 AM
8 Second Club

I agree, automatic is king. I was convinced of this after going for a ride in the car that I posted in the video. When he took me back to my car, I knew right then and there that the t56 was about to be ghost. Only thing now is, I'm going to have to do something with this tune to get back the power I'm about to lose with this 400. No biggie though.
That "power loss" will be made up every time you stab the throttle and don't have to take your foot off of it to shift.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

. Seriously though once you have a car that is making an appreciable amount of power a correctly setup auto will be faster in EVERY situation including rolls, etc.
I agree, and I am 100% aware my car will ET and TRAP faster with an auto. However for the 1-2 road course events I do a year and "spirited diving" on some of the great roads around here, the car LIVES with a 6 speed. the other factor is as fast as (my car at least) woudl go with a glide, I would need about 5k in saftey gear just to go to ANY event, and that would be events I would win $0 money at. To me, that makes no sense.

When I want to simply chase a timeslip, I will build a simply LS+PG fox body, apply for my AARP card, and bracket race.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:14 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by coltboostin
I agree, and I am 100% aware my car will ET and TRAP faster with an auto. However for the 1-2 road course events I do a year and "spirited diving" on some of the great roads around here, the car LIVES with a 6 speed. the other factor is as fast as (my car at least) woudl go with a glide, I would need about 5k in saftey gear just to go to ANY event, and that would be events I would win $0 money at. To me, that makes no sense.

When I want to simply chase a timeslip, I will build a simply LS+PG fox body, apply for my AARP card, and bracket race.
Name:  7DA5AD6C-64E8-4E86-B59E-1A25A30496DA_zpsluayb8xs.png
Views: 42
Size:  449.4 KB
Old 11-18-2016, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

In anticipation of the rebuttal. Figured I would go ahead and throw this up.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

lol yes! 5.3L with a T6 Borg in front of a glide in a fox, 8.50 bracket car all day.

I think there is some joy to actually driving the car down the track for the few times a year I go. When your wife can hop in your auto car and go down the track just as fast as you what does that prove? When I go to the track and see imports driving a manual boat racing domestics on the big end it makes me feel good, those guys are getting it done and not making excuses for automatics.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:43 PM
8 Second Club

In anticipation of the rebuttal. Figured I would go ahead and throw this up.
Lol! Unfortunately that is far from the reality with most people on this website.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by oscs
That "power loss" will be made up every time you stab the throttle and don't have to take your foot off of it to shift.
I can dig this, but between the 400...and let's say a 9 inch...or 12 bolt TBD, I'm going to be down about a 100whp. Hoping to recoup 70-80 of it back through a more aggressive tune.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:32 PM
8 Second Club

I can dig this, but between the 400...and let's say a 9 inch...or 12 bolt TBD, I'm going to be down about a 100whp. Hoping to recoup 70-80 of it back through a more aggressive tune.
If you have the room in the tune than let it eat.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
Lol! Unfortunately that is far from the reality with most people on this website.
You were ready to retire, I am not there yet. Im not ready to make the car a one trick pony.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should want to buy my 80e
Old 11-19-2016, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nathaninwa
You should want to buy my 80e
Already committed to another deal. Plus, wanted a straight 400.....no electronics.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:16 AM
8 Second Club

You were ready to retire, I am not there yet. Im not ready to make the car a one trick pony.
Lol at an auto being a one trick pony.

Quick Reply: Tis the reason I want an automatic (footage I took today)