Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

"The Mongoose" - 1 3/4" Headers To 1 7/8" Headers (447 rwhp and 431 rwtq)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavn
Nice dude! Glad I offered some assistance Lets go beat up on 5.br0's
Yes sir. I drove the car quite a bit yesterday, and it feels so much stronger throughout the power-band. Around 4,500 rpm's, this thing just explodes and doesn't stop.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here is the dyno graph. This one should be easy to see. 447 rwhp and 431 rwtq.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I'm going to start with the Vengeance ported FAST 102. If I can port match it myself without pulling the heads, I'll do that.
I took a piece of "file folder" paper and laid it on the ports. Tapped around each port with a ball peen hammer. The sharp edges of the port imprinted/almost cut the paper (then cut out with razor). Then laid the paper on the intake and went to work with a dremel. Came out nice.
This was matching my LS3 intake to L92 heads. Not sure how much it really helps, but something to say I did, out of boredom, in an afternoon.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Phoenix, Please do not take offense but do you think that you might have some valve train stability issues? Looking at the graph it looks to me like its build power like crazy up to 5600rpm, then it table tops at 5700 rpm and carries peak to 6150. It seems to me that even with a LS6 intake that combo has a potential 455whp in it as is.

Solid numbers either way!!
Old 11-22-2016, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Phoenix, Please do not take offense but do you think that you might have some valve train stability issues? Looking at the graph it looks to me like its build power like crazy up to 5600rpm, then it table tops at 5700 rpm and carries peak to 6150. It seems to me that even with a LS6 intake that combo has a potential 455whp in it as is.

Well, valvetrain consists of BTR .660 lift spring/retainer kit, stock lifters, LS2 lifter trays, stock rockers, and hardened pushrods. I guess that could be a possibility, but I thought the graph gets wavy when there are valvetrain issues. Valvetrain makes no noise whatsoever and the cam is quieter than the old Comp cam.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
I took a piece of "file folder" paper and laid it on the ports. Tapped around each port with a ball peen hammer. The sharp edges of the port imprinted/almost cut the paper (then cut out with razor). Then laid the paper on the intake and went to work with a dremel. Came out nice.
This was matching my LS3 intake to L92 heads. Not sure how much it really helps, but something to say I did, out of boredom, in an afternoon.
That's a great idea. I don't see any downside to doing this. Brian Tooley is a huge proponent in port matching the FAST intakes to the heads, and according to him, that's where the true power gains are in porting an intake.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1

I have seen many curves like that. It is a great looking power curve.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I have seen many curves like that. It is a great looking power curve.
Thanks speedtigger, that means a lot coming from you.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the bigger graph Phoenix. It does look strong. With your combo, which is good, I would think it would carry the power a little further. Also just friendly here, no bashing. Of coarse I bet the intake swap will help it out some.

One thing I noticed. The valve train sounds fine except for "stock lifters". Did you re-use the factory lifters or did you just mean LS7 lifters?
Old 11-22-2016, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm using my stock LS1 lifters. My car only has 46,000 miles on it. Kent inspected everything when doing the cam swap, and said the lifters, pushrods, trays, etc. all looked great. He said this motor is damn healthy. He had a very hard time trying to turn the motor over by hand. Compression is right at 11:1, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Another low mileage f-body. Sweet. Did you buy the car new? I think mine just went over 60k.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, I'm the second owner. The car is as mint as they come.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

That's a great idea. I don't see any downside to doing this. Brian Tooley is a huge proponent in port matching the FAST intakes to the heads, and according to him, that's where the true power gains are in porting an intake.
OR...you could throw a BA nitrous system on there for the price of the FAST and up your HP/TQ by 150!!
Old 11-22-2016, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
OR...you could throw a BA nitrous system on there for the price of the FAST and up your HP/TQ by 150!!
I do believe a Nitrous system will be in the future. I am very tempted to send the FAST 102mm intake off to Nitrous Outlet and have them install the Money Maker system. If I don't do that, I'll just go with one of their 102mm plate systems.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

That's interesting so just port matching a Fast should be about as good as a full port job?
Old 11-23-2016, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
That's interesting so just port matching a Fast should be about as good as a full port job?
According to him. Here is what he sent me a while back when I asked about him porting a FAST intake:

"We charge $150-$200 depending on different factors, however without the heads I wouldn't even feel good about doing the job. Not only do we port match the intake exactly to the heads while the base is mocked up on the heads, we also put a scribe line on the intake face of the head to line the intake back up."

"We could "take the bumps" out for $100, but I would not recommend taking an appreciable amount of material out of the intake without having the heads in hand. I've had some of these "port matched" intakes that people spent upwards of $500 on and I feel like they would have been better off with the intake just smoothed up since the intake ended up bigger than the heads in places."
Old 11-23-2016, 02:32 PM
9 Second Club

According to him. Here is what he sent me a while back when I asked about him porting a FAST intake:

"We charge $150-$200 depending on different factors, however without the heads I wouldn't even feel good about doing the job. Not only do we port match the intake exactly to the heads while the base is mocked up on the heads, we also put a scribe line on the intake face of the head to line the intake back up."

"We could "take the bumps" out for $100, but I would not recommend taking an appreciable amount of material out of the intake without having the heads in hand. I've had some of these "port matched" intakes that people spent upwards of $500 on and I feel like they would have been better off with the intake just smoothed up since the intake ended up bigger than the heads in places."
Definitely interesting. Did he have any dyno numbers on port match vs not? I'm sure a crappy port job isn't worth much overall but I've been working with Mamo on my builds and his opinion is different on porting. He said he's done dyno testing on it also. Just curious.

Are going to drive the car awhile the way it is or swap to Fast pretty soon?
Old 11-23-2016, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure if he has any dyno numbers to back up what he's saying or not. He's been in the game longer than just about anyone else, so I think what he says has merit. Like with anything, there are different schools of thought on just about everything related to heads, cams, and intakes.

I'm going to drive and enjoy the car as much as I can until the weather turns shitty. I still need to get the FAST intake ordered, but I probably won't get it on until after the 1st of the new year.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:25 PM
9 Second Club

Not sure if he has any dyno numbers to back up what he's saying or not. He's been in the game longer than just about anyone else, so I think what he says has merit. Like with anything, there are different schools of thought on just about everything related to heads, cams, and intakes.

I'm going to drive and enjoy the car as much as I can until the weather turns shitty. I still need to get the FAST intake ordered, but I probably won't get it on until after the 1st of the new year.
I know Tooley is very good at what he does. Not cutting him down at all. That's why I was interested in what you said about porting. Also why I mentioned what Mamo said. They're both pretty awesome guys in the LS world and I think it's fair to compare their ideas and say both opinions hold strong merit. So I was curious if Tooley had numbers on it. That being said, a Mamo ported Fast that was port matched would most likely give the best of both worlds. If Tooley was talking about port jobs that were bumpy etc I doubt it was a professional port job. A lot of guys try to do it themselves which is awesome to try, I love to try and do everything myself, but I'm not going to get the same results.

Weather already crappy here. I missed this season but oh well. I'll get to take my time over winter. Great build and read so far. Enjoy it!
Old 11-23-2016, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

I look to BTR on all my builds...hell, I sent him my P&P L92 heads by "others" and the valve job by S.A.M.S, just to see what he thought. While I was at it, I had him mill the heads .030 and install the BTR .660 springs I already had.
He was honest with me and said the "jobs" looked good. He charged me a minimal amount to mill and assemble the heads.

Quick Reply: "The Mongoose" - 1 3/4" Headers To 1 7/8" Headers (447 rwhp and 431 rwtq)