Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lots of cool go fast parts....no motivation to install them.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys should be happy you at least have some shelter to work in. I do all my work out in the cold, on the driveway. ****, I'd be thrilled to work in a cold garage, lol
Old 12-09-2016, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by alocker
That's actually not a bad idea. I don't mind the cold in my garage but when my toes go numb from the concrete that's when I call it quits. A heated blanket might be the solution.
Feet stay warm, you stay warm.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottyBG
We all go through spells where we lack motivation, this is totally normal. If you don't, your are more than likely a freak. If you have the space and you don't need to drive a car, you can just take a week or two off. This is supposed to be a hobby, not our jobs. If it starts to feel like a job, we have kind of lost purpose.

I also find making a list of what needs to be done, and breaking it down into little tasks helps. That way the whole thing doesn't seem like eating an elephant. For example a turbo build is a lot of work when you look at the whole thing. If you break it down like so

1) Strip car down, remove old exhaust, sway bar, bumper covers etc.
2) Upgrade Fuel system
3) Install Turbo K, and front suspension
4) Build and mount hot side
5) Build and mount cold side
6) Install methanol injection
7) Reassemble car
8) Tune and test.

Then even further break down the individual items like

2)Upgrade fuel system
a) Drop the tank, or cut the access hole, and pull factory fuel pump assembly
b) remove intake manifold and install new fuel rails, reinstall intake
c) remove factory fuel lines and filter.
d) modify hanger, and mount dual pumps, remove factory FPR
e) find place for boost referenced FPR, build a bracket and mount it
f) find a place for fuel filter, build a bracket and mount it
g) reinstall fuel pump unit with the dual pumps
h) plumb the -8 feed lines
i) plumb the -6 return lines
j) run the wiring for the pumps
k) test system for function, and leaks

Depending on time you have, pick one, two or a few items off of your list, that you know you can do in that time, and knock it out, and put a check mark on your list. This will give you direction. You will know when you have all of your check marks, you will get to cruise around in your boosted ride, that's the reward.

This doesn't really have anything to do with forced induction, its more like my attempt at life coaching, based on what I have found works for me in dealing with my weaknesses. Specifically lack of motivation from time to time. This is the same for projects I have do do at work, and "honey do" projects.

I hope this insight helps someone.
I agree, shouldn't turn into a job. While I don't really need the car, it pains me to have it apart for an extended amount of time. But right now, this 20 degree weather pains me even more lol.You definitely made a good point though "take your time". I am working on getting rid of this mentality, but I used to pull marathon wrenching sessions...only to screw something ...or for tools to start teleportiing across the work area.

Originally Posted by truckdoug
^ making lists with small but reasonable goals

loud music.

is weed legal where you guys live yet?
Not sure if it's legal here in Kentucky, but even if it was...my company would get all weird and tell me not to come back anymore...AKA fired 😂

Originally Posted by SethU
Used to live in Wisconsin (Northern CA now)...

When it came to wrenching on projects, if I had to name one thing that was the most unpleasant... COLD tools. Laying them out on a heating pad (like for lower back pain) and covering them with a towel made a world of difference. It's not so bad when the tool you're holding is about 100ºF, even when it's in an unheated garage. Warm tools and dress for the occasion. A radiant heater aimed at parts that are going to be handled helped too. Working on trans? Warm the trans. I can't stand cold hands and/or fingers.
This is really a good idea!

Originally Posted by Tim94gt
You guys should be happy you at least have some shelter to work in. I do all my work out in the cold, on the driveway. ****, I'd be thrilled to work in a cold garage, lol
LOL, I hear ya man. I was in this position when I bought my first house. It sucked majorly.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

So, I finally made myself get out there and get going. Preheated the garage and went to the zone to rent a puller. Figured I would have the input shaft yolk off in no time. Badly mistaken.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Down here in FL we're still driving our cars. I've got a full D1SC blower kit waiting to go on, finally on vacation now through yearend so hoping to get it put on and tuned. Weather should be good for the track for us finally.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Down here in FL we're still driving our cars. I've got a full D1SC blower kit waiting to go on, finally on vacation now through yearend so hoping to get it put on and tuned. Weather should be good for the track for us finally.
I envy you Floidians, Track year round. I've been there twice when we went on our Cruises. And while it was pretty, not sure if I could deal with having only one season....Hot year round with no real change. Same with the Bahamas/Caribbean.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I've lived in the same house for almost 30 years and did all my work on a 12x12 concrete slab until last year... I built a 24x40 garage with 2x6 13' side walls. Installed a gas furnace and central air, fully insulated then the icing on the cake was a 2 post lift and TV and stereo with surround sound, fridge and twelve 4' LED lights that make it seem like it's daylight inside! Added a large media blasting cabinet ($50 on craigslist) and will soon start building my oven so I can powder coat parts up to 5' long.
Now the only issue is managing the space so it doesn't get to crowded and funding my build.
Added bonus is a wifi enabled thermostat so I can turn the heat up (lowest setting is 45*) and wait 20 minutes and go out to a warm garage.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I've lived in the same house for almost 30 years and did all my work on a 12x12 concrete slab until last year... I built a 24x40 garage with 2x6 13' side walls. Installed a gas furnace and central air, fully insulated then the icing on the cake was a 2 post lift and TV and stereo with surround sound, fridge and twelve 4' LED lights that make it seem like it's daylight inside! Added a large media blasting cabinet ($50 on craigslist) and will soon start building my oven so I can powder coat parts up to 5' long.
Now the only issue is managing the space so it doesn't get to crowded and funding my build.
Added bonus is a wifi enabled thermostat so I can turn the heat up (lowest setting is 45*) and wait 20 minutes and go out to a warm garage.
Goodness. I've been thinking I'm in the wrong trade for some years now, and your comment just proved it lol. Your company hiring?? Sounds like a sweet setup you have.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
I envy you Floidians, Track year round. I've been there twice when we went on our Cruises. And while it was pretty, not sure if I could deal with having only one season....Hot year round with no real change. Same with the Bahamas/Caribbean.
Yeah you need to be okay with a brutal summer to live here.....but come January we can't complain.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

I've been waiting on the cold weather to finish an SD tune that has to be "all weather" driveable. It really sucks working on only cold weather cold engine tuning, when I have a perfectly good heated garage for normal wrenching.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gametech
I've been waiting on the cold weather to finish an SD tune that has to be "all weather" driveable. It really sucks working on only cold weather cold engine tuning, when I have a perfectly good heated garage for normal wrenching.
Hope it isn't a car on E85, my guess is it will be hard to make it have stock like driveability in cold weather. Maybe it's just the tune, but my car runs like an old carburetor car from the 70s on a cold start...when it's cold outside for about the first 5-7 minutes.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

Hope it isn't a car on E85, my guess is it will be hard to make it have stock like driveability in cold weather. Maybe it's just the tune, but my car runs like an old carburetor car from the 70s on a cold start...when it's cold outside for about the first 5-7 minutes.
It's a 4.8 with a side-mount whipple blowing through a fmic with 8.1 marine injectors and piping that bends close to both sides of a Granatelli MAF. Not to mention the 1.85 rockers, FAST 90 intake, and dynatech longtubes. Have you ever tried to tame startup flare on a motor with a whipple, a big fmic, and an intake manifold worth of air after the throttle body? I had everything nailed down OK for warm weather, but I'm having a hell of a time tweaking it all out for cold weather. Just killing IAC oscillation with so much more air than stock behind the TB has been a nuisance.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gametech
It's a 4.8 with a side-mount whipple blowing through a fmic with 8.1 marine injectors and piping that bends close to both sides of a Granatelli MAF. Not to mention the 1.85 rockers, FAST 90 intake, and dynatech longtubes. Have you ever tried to tame startup flare on a motor with a whipple, a big fmic, and an intake manifold worth of air after the throttle body? I had everything nailed down OK for warm weather, but I'm having a hell of a time tweaking it all out for cold weather. Just killing IAC oscillation with so much more air than stock behind the TB has been a nuisance.
I tuned my lt1 car, but as of yet..I have no experience with tuning a FI car. I wish I did, but I have no useful input.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i got out to the garage tonight after nightmare commute through icy rain and the people not prepared to deal with it...

built a BIG fire in the woodstove and got to wrenchin

got the axle tied back close to straight with a come along
put the alignment bar in and put some heat in the area where it's bent
hopefully it's straight so i can start on strongbacking it, and fabbing a new watts link
Old 12-09-2016, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Goodness. I've been thinking I'm in the wrong trade for some years now, and your comment just proved it lol. Your company hiring?? Sounds like a sweet setup you have.
I don't make much hourly or yearly, I just refinanced my house so I could build it. My builds are a collection of parts collected over a length of time otherwise I would be out of luck.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Well if I wasn't motivated before I sure am now!!!
Old 12-10-2016, 06:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

After over 50 years building cars, I have trouble getting motivated for anything, lol.
I do have a large heated garage, forced air oil, and a wood stove for when I don't need it that warm-I need to make some changes on the Buick, but the main project is my 70 C10 shortbed-I need to weld in panels, paint, add a 5.3, etc-I just have to get fired up and do it, lol
Old 12-10-2016, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I don't make much hourly or yearly, I just refinanced my house so I could build it. My builds are a collection of parts collected over a length of time otherwise I would be out of luck.
i'm in the same boat. I'm a hawk for the classifieds here, performance trucks and YB.

right now its a good time to refi, but I think i want to do all the boring fixer-upper things to sell the house and just move to a place with a better garage and maybe closer to work.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
https://youtu.be/9jJ5q94hbw0
Well if I wasn't motivated before I sure am now!!!
hell yeah!
Old 12-10-2016, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i got out to the garage tonight after nightmare commute through icy rain and the people not prepared to deal with it...

built a BIG fire in the woodstove and got to wrenchin

got the axle tied back close to straight with a come along
put the alignment bar in and put some heat in the area where it's bent
hopefully it's straight so i can start on strongbacking it, and fabbing a new watts link
Is that the unit that was in a wreck a few weeks ago?

Quick Reply: Lots of cool go fast parts....no motivation to install them.