Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lots of cool go fast parts....no motivation to install them.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 06:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Lots of cool go fast parts....no motivation to install them.

Well, the decision was made a few weeks ago to go automatic. I was very enthusiastic about making it happen, and here recently..I went ahead and ordered the parts. Fast forward a week since I've had the transmission, and it's still fully intact sitting in the floor of the garage. A HUGE part of the problem is....it's very COLD where I live! Went ahead and put heat in the garage yesterday to try and combat the problem. So I ask, are any of you guys facing the same issue with motivation, had all kinds of plans for the winter....but having a tough time getting out in the garage to make it happen?

Last edited by Game ova; 12-09-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a forced air heater and you will be much more motivated!
Old 12-09-2016, 06:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TURBOLSBIRD
Get a forced air heater and you will be much more motivated!
I agree. I looked at those, but it seems most of them run on 220v..and my garage isn't wired for it. Went to the freight yesterday and picked this up.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

I am with ya and the cold wether! I work midnights outside in Chicago and when get home in the am I struggle to work in the garage!! I do have heat,stereo and a TV but still struggle!! I to have lots of parts for my project but still not feeling it. In fact I have been talking about selling it as it sits!!!
Old 12-09-2016, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

I use a propane torpedo style heater, works pretty well but it's loud and has to stay running the entire time I am out there. Makes it difficult for me to muster up the motivation to get **** done.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:01 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get some friends to help and be miserable with you. That's what usually makes any of my group get anything done this time of the year LOL.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy350
I use a propane torpedo style heater, works pretty well but it's loud and has to stay running the entire time I am out there. Makes it difficult for me to muster up the motivation to get **** done.
I have the same style heater. Works pretty good, get a little fumy though.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep! it's under 30 degrees all week, and my 2 shops are non heated, but I have a 50 gallon drum with the top off and some vents in the bottom for a nice toasty fire, and not to mention like 3 propane heaters lol.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go threw the same stuff every year. Dec - feb I buy parts and make all kinds of plans, but don't do anything lol. Then March and April I'm like a mad man try to get the car all sorted out for the summer.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting cold here in CT too, we have a big wood stove but our shop is massive so warming it up in the few hours after work is tough.

But you watch a couple race videos and get super motivated to be out there the next year and you brave the cold and get it done.

Sometimes i dont have enough motivation to do it though, and ill go home after work and hang out with the wife. Which sucks, but she likes it. Sit there listening to her super exciting work stories.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by turbo kid
I am with ya and the cold wether! I work midnights outside in Chicago and when get home in the am I struggle to work in the garage!! I do have heat,stereo and a TV but still struggle!! I to have lots of parts for my project but still not feeling it. In fact I have been talking about selling it as it sits!!!
Woah..WOAH, we need to talk you off the ledge! It's never that bad, to where you need to sell it...just sit tight.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 525 Likes on 408 Posts

Join the club brother, its about 30 degrees here too and I have a ring and pinion I need to swap out and an oil cooler fan I need to wire.
I also use the turbine style propane heater, I turn it on for about 10-15 minutes before I head out.
If I'm working on the ground I use a peice of cardboard or a blanket to lay so I'm not right on the concrete cause that's cold too and sucks the heat right out of you lol.
I also wait until after Christmas because I'm just too busy and stressed to give the project the attention it needs.
This is the one I've been using the last 4-5 years and it works pretty good and isn't super expensive.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...E_lxoCuwXw_wcB
Old 12-09-2016, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bigdaddy350
I'm hoping propane affects me different than kerosene does. I borrowed a torpedo heater that used kerosene once, and while it worked pretty good....it gave me a crazy headache.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Game ova
I'm hoping propane affects me different than kerosene does. I borrowed a torpedo heater that used kerosene once, and while it worked pretty good....it gave me a crazy headache.
I haven't had any issues with propane. I know what you are talking about with the kerosene heaters. They can give me headaches too
Old 12-09-2016, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We all go through spells where we lack motivation, this is totally normal. If you don't, your are more than likely a freak. If you have the space and you don't need to drive a car, you can just take a week or two off. This is supposed to be a hobby, not our jobs. If it starts to feel like a job, we have kind of lost purpose.

I also find making a list of what needs to be done, and breaking it down into little tasks helps. That way the whole thing doesn't seem like eating an elephant. For example a turbo build is a lot of work when you look at the whole thing. If you break it down like so

1) Strip car down, remove old exhaust, sway bar, bumper covers etc.
2) Upgrade Fuel system
3) Install Turbo K, and front suspension
4) Build and mount hot side
5) Build and mount cold side
6) Install methanol injection
7) Reassemble car
8) Tune and test.

Then even further break down the individual items like

2)Upgrade fuel system
a) Drop the tank, or cut the access hole, and pull factory fuel pump assembly
b) remove intake manifold and install new fuel rails, reinstall intake
c) remove factory fuel lines and filter.
d) modify hanger, and mount dual pumps, remove factory FPR
e) find place for boost referenced FPR, build a bracket and mount it
f) find a place for fuel filter, build a bracket and mount it
g) reinstall fuel pump unit with the dual pumps
h) plumb the -8 feed lines
i) plumb the -6 return lines
j) run the wiring for the pumps
k) test system for function, and leaks

Depending on time you have, pick one, two or a few items off of your list, that you know you can do in that time, and knock it out, and put a check mark on your list. This will give you direction. You will know when you have all of your check marks, you will get to cruise around in your boosted ride, that's the reward.

This doesn't really have anything to do with forced induction, its more like my attempt at life coaching, based on what I have found works for me in dealing with my weaknesses. Specifically lack of motivation from time to time. This is the same for projects I have do do at work, and "honey do" projects.

I hope this insight helps someone.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

^ making lists with small but reasonable goals

loud music.

is weed legal where you guys live yet?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Struggling with the same thing here. Just got mine fired up for the first time in 2 years and that part was really exciting. Now cold weather moved in and none of the stuff I have left to do is fun.... Next up is pulling the transmission back out because the slave cylinder blew out when bleeding it. Then I have to finish installing the line lock, abs delete kit, and bending/flaring new brake lines for the front and rear. And when it's 30 degrees in the garage none of that sounds like fun at all.

Like someone else mentioned, I'm resigned to enjoy the holidays at this point and let it sit now that I've got oil through the motor and know it will run. Happy holidays everyone! and those of you running keep posting videos to keep the rest of us motivated!
Old 12-09-2016, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Used to live in Wisconsin (Northern CA now)...

When it came to wrenching on projects, if I had to name one thing that was the most unpleasant... COLD tools. Laying them out on a heating pad (like for lower back pain) and covering them with a towel made a world of difference. It's not so bad when the tool you're holding is about 100ºF, even when it's in an unheated garage. Warm tools and dress for the occasion. A radiant heater aimed at parts that are going to be handled helped too. Working on trans? Warm the trans. I can't stand cold hands and/or fingers.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

I read one time a guy would sandwich an electric blanket between two big pieces of cardboard to lay on under the car or stand on. Hillbilly floor heat.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 window
I read one time a guy would sandwich an electric blanket between two big pieces of cardboard to lay on under the car or stand on. Hillbilly floor heat.
That's actually not a bad idea. I don't mind the cold in my garage but when my toes go numb from the concrete that's when I call it quits. A heated blanket might be the solution.

Quick Reply: Lots of cool go fast parts....no motivation to install them.