Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest/Easiest EFI fuel setup for older car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I went cheap for this guy.
Walbro 255 pulling from the stock pickup and returning to a T fitting on the tank vent.

The next one I did was a bolt-in Tank Inc. setup that was $450.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bing98
Sorry to drag this up, but I'm dealing with this right now. Love all the low budget solutions. Would love to be able to buy a whole new system, but I can't.

The Gen5 pump assembly will be perfect for my 72 Nova because the tank isn't that deep. I'm using an 02 4.8l with the return/builtin regulator style fuel rail.

If I understand correctly I can just use the VaporWorx fuel pressure regulator adapter and then plumb the return into the bucket. Is that accurate?

What is the best source for an adapter ring to mount the pump assembly into the tank? Do I have to fabricate this myself? If so what is the best material?

I want to use the factory hardlines. Whats the best way to adapt them to either braided or nylon fuel line?

JOENOVA and RYEGUY what solutions did you guys settle on?
You can cut the factory fuel bucket down a little, but the 72 tank is not very deep. If you don't mind putting an access hole in the trunk, you could do this real cheap. The access hole could be done to look nice...and then covered with carpet. Just seal it up wth a good gasket. Ryan put a hole in his trunk I his 76 TA. Both Ryan and I used a vetteworks kit adapter ring to mount bucket.

I think you could use factory lines if they are 3/8". You would need some kind of adapters to go from the factory flare to pump. I did all my lines in cu-ni, flared 37 deg to match AN fittings -good luck
Old 01-30-2017, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could modify this to fit most tanks
Old 01-31-2017, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. The more I look the more I keep coming back to the Tanks Inc pump. It's a proven pump and solution. It's simple and it's very cost effective.

One thing I noticed is they say it has 1/4" NPT feed and return lines. This is smaller than the 3/8" feed and 5/16" return I'm going to use. These are pretty sizes and I'm sure they wouldn't sell a product that doesn't work. How is this not an issue? I would think that would cause a restriction. I'm just trying to better understand all these different types of fittings a little better and how the work with each other.

Does the Tanks Inc pump come with a gasket to seal the whole thing? I don't see mention of one on their site or in the install instructions.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 543 Likes on 341 Posts

Here's a link to my finished product. It works flawlessly, and is extremely quiet. If you have the ability to weld, you can get this done for just over $200 bucks. IMHO, best and cheapest solution to EFI needs.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...camaro-tank.html

Quick Reply: Cheapest/Easiest EFI fuel setup for older car?