Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1970 caddy sedan deville(sinister) lq4 s475 turbo cam=)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Allright, don't shoot, I have another rear end I'm (re)considering..... Let me lay this out:
I'm back at an 8.8......I've learned infact there is 35 spline axles available for it and a spool, the clincher is only one posi in 35 spline is avalible for it, (at least that I'm aware of)the cast out of solid gold strange s-track...
So after mock up I've decided I need about a 62" width would be perfect, enter the 99-04 mustang 8.8
Upgradeable in every way, but could be pretty budget and at least keep the car going for now

Last edited by slocaddy; 02-22-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by slocaddy
So I was getting ready to have a nice little Saturday night, you know being responsible and making sure I had plenty of premixed water/meth on hand, (aka 20 below winshield washer fluid) 3 gals worth........ Then I realized........!!! It was some plant based
Bull sh#t! That had no alchohol!!

F'n b.s!!
So after I looked closer at the label, I see its only 32 below, and then I see the stupid little leaf that says "ecco"!?!? Wtf is that?! F'n prius washer fluid?!?

So went and got the right stuff and all is well again=)

All better!
I saw that +35 stuff and thought WTH??!! Cruel little trick!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

So sinister is back under the knife, didn't make sense to me render it immobile as it was perfectly driveable.....(actually it was sketchy as f#ck, axle started going a different direction than the car when you got on it)

Phase 2:

It would have been easier to choose a smaller tire, but then im like naww!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 903 Posts

You're committed now...LOL

Andrew
Old 02-28-2017, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
You're committed now...LOL

Andrew
Ohyea! I'm about to open so many cans of worms!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you going to cut it out and back-half it?

You may want to check out some of the universal 4-link kits and c-notches from the thorbecke brothers @ thorbros.com
Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Are you going to cut it out and back-half it?

You may want to check out some of the universal 4-link kits and c-notches from the thorbecke brothers @ thorbros.com
It's all over but the cryin'

Old 03-01-2017, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, as the rear frame crashed to the ground, I was like "fu#######k" what did I get myself into?!
I'm planning on 3/5 months to complete, I have plans to do the body work on the rear of the car, I'm gonna have to cut the floor up to make room for different stuff, including it not limited to: trans tunnel, clearance for drive shaft, possibly raise trans, don't know yet, but whatever it takes to attain proper angles at tailshaft and pinion, I'm going to raise the floor underneath the back seat to make room for a muffler and send the exhaust out behind the tire, also, I might ditch the fuel cell for a more proper flat tank.
There will be bushings to replace, rust to fix, gonna flush mount the rear window, buncha stuff so this will take some time.

Sombody should have talked me out of this...

This is about the look ill be going for, wont even need the skirts!
Old 03-02-2017, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should put some work into the skirts and make them fit, that would be so cool on that car!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by squarles67
You should put some work into the skirts and make them fit, that would be so cool on that car!
Yea, I think I'll come up with a different way to attach them, the archaric lever system it uses now is a bit cumbersome
Old 03-06-2017, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well finally got an axle that I'm going to go with and the fit is perfect! There's almost a half inch of clearance between the tire and the outer fender. If I needed more room, I could clearance the fender lip and get about another half inch, but I don't think that will be necessary.
The axle is a 8.8 out of a 94 Grand Marquis the whidth worked out perfect because it doesn't have abs tone rings on it, its hub mounting surface is 64.5" from rotor face to rotor face just what I needed.(my original measurement thinking the mustang axle was incorrect, opps, glad I did more mock up)
It will get 9-inch ends and 35-spline axles and carrier

Last edited by slocaddy; 03-06-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lookin good!
Old 03-07-2017, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the exact same thing to my frame to fit 345-35-18s on my MonteCarlo. You'll be glad you did it when it's all done. Good luck.

Last edited by Monte4ever; 03-07-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, next step will be widening inner wheel wells, prob only 1.5"maybe 2" anxious to get frame reattached, at least then maybe I'll feel like I have a whole car.....
Old 06-08-2017, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well.....not sure I'm making progress or not.... But I am back home for a few days and working on the car.
I've been cutting the rest of floor pan and what's left of the trunk, and with everthing out of the way, I actually feel like I'm making some progress! At this point, aside from reusing the factory wheel wells (widened) the rest of the floors, sub structure and trunk area Will be all new/remade.
So here's some pics, maybe just put a hot tub back there and be done with it.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Time for a little update...... My original plan was just to move the stock frame rails in board a little ,but then I decided I would just start all-over . What I thought could be a "mini tub" has turned into full back-half....... So new frame is made out Of 1/8" 2×4 steel , I didn't do regular mitered cuts, I think what I did it gives more welded/joined surface.
The main crossmember from driver side to pass side will be opened up after I figure out where the lower links will live. I will add one more crossmember between the arches over the axle, prob do t be 2x4 though.

Tie in to frame 1/8" 2x4

The only way i can do stuff.....templates!

Anything within reach becomes a tool for mock-up...

Both rails in.....

From bottom, middle portion to be removed is yet to be determined....

Final connection out back

Last edited by slocaddy; 07-14-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

This was another looming project I had not been looking forward to, when I cut the original frame out, what was left of the rear-most section kinda just flopped down....body bolts just kinda wiggling. But fear not, I had taken a bunch of measurements before removal cause I knew I would have to deal with this before I made frame connection.

I could not believe how expensive body mounts are! I ended up buying a set made for a camaro subframe, little mods, good to go.
They all actually came out pretty easy, except one. There always has to be that "one".... so, I got a hole saw and made a little sunroof over the too of him, then proceeded to f' his day up! Oh yea, it's changed out now
I went with rubber bushings after hearing potential of urethane squeaking, just not something an OCD person wants to deal with.

Maybe i rushed into this, maybe still had a few good years left in them??

"For sale, lightly used factory original, hard to find body bushings.......

Ok, now your gonna get it.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 903 Posts

Man...You went all in!

Andrew
Old 07-09-2017, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Man...You went all in!

Andrew
Yea,....... this was never the plan, all I ever wanted was a"squirrelly junkyard turbo car" and damn is thing scetchy. Safety has to be considered, and have to buid a solid car. So ever since the crown Vic front end happened (and thankfully work has been good) the parts that have gone into it got better than planned, and the modifications have got more involved, like I've never done this stuff before.

Last edited by slocaddy; 07-09-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by slocaddy
Yea,....... this was never the plan, all I ever wanted was a"squirrelly junkyard turbo car" and damn is thing scetchy. Safety has to be considered and have wanted to bud a solid car. hi no So ever since the crown Vic front end happened (and thankfully work has been good) the parts that have gone into it got better than planned, and the modifications have got more involved, like I've never done this stuff before.

haha thats my story too! then you find yourself back halving it!

Quick Reply: 1970 caddy sedan deville(sinister) lq4 s475 turbo cam=)