Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for pre start checklist!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
A properly functioning gauge (and driver...) with no hysteresis has worked just fine for the 5 or so decades that I've been piddling around with cars. BTW - 30 psig too high for a lot of cars -- many would shut off at warm idle with a 030 psig switch. Some of the aftermarket ecu's offer the possibility of a pressure check as part of the ecu function - uses the factory oil pressure switch and you can program the pressure parameters you want.
Advise I wasn't trying to challenge your 5 decades of experience, oil pressure switch benefits are longer bearing life and some High pressure oil pumps idle at 30 pounds and who would want the motor to keep running without oil pressure? Cheap insurance is a 12 dollar switch
Old 03-04-2017, 04:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 467 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Roche
Advise I wasn't trying to challenge your 5 decades of experience, oil pressure switch benefits are longer bearing life and some High pressure oil pumps idle at 30 pounds and who would want the motor to keep running without oil pressure? Cheap insurance is a 12 dollar switch
Didn't think you were Kevin - just pointing out there's more than one way to skin the cat, and that you need to know accurately how your engine's pressures vary under a wide variety of conditions in order to pick the proper pressure. In addition to my gauge I've got the good old fashion light which illuminates if pressure drops below 12 psig. Also, some setups, particularly with oil coolers, take a second to build pressure - so a simple switch may not ever let the engine get started in the first place unless you also have a time/delay circuit in conjunction with the switch. Chuckle - that's one way to assure long bearing life!

Fire extinguisher and an extra set of eyes is good counsel...
Old 03-04-2017, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...in my signature...

That's super clean. A buddy of mine has a near mint 4 door of the same genre and was considering a swap. Did you run into any major hurdles?
Old 03-04-2017, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by socal57chevy
I always like to have a fire extinguisher handy for a first time startup. A buddy to help is worth their weight in gold, too.
Perfect. 2 items added. An extra set of eyes and ears are priceless.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I actually have an oil pressure safety cutout that came with a holley blue kit that I used to run. My intentions were to keep it bypassed for now as I didn't want to add any possible obstacles to a successful first start.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

No major hurdles - car was 5.0L powered for 19 years before the 6.2L went in.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Is it running yet? Looking forward to the car's first LS powered burnout!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Made some progress on the car over the last few days. Sort of. Mounted the wideband and hooked up the new wiring for the gauges and a few led indicators i tucked in. Spent about 2 days putting the interior back together. Actually hooked the battery up! First the car has been powered up since summer. A few gremlins presented themselves right away. Nothing serious. Hooray! Why not crank the motor over and see if oil pressure builds? Within a few short cranks I was able to get 25 psi off the starter. Woohoo! Well thats the good news. The bad news is a deep thud was reverberating on each series of cranks. Upon further inspection the oil pan is hiitting the k member

Its only on the passenger side. Its BARELY hitting.I'm going to try raising the engine on that side and sliding a few washers in between the motor and the mount. Last week it crossed my mind that the motor appeared to lay a bit lower on the passenger side anyhow. A straight edge across the fenders and a tape down to the top of the #1 and #2 header flange confirmed it.

This was completely avoidable. When I mocked up, the motor was suspended from the hoist. With the weight settled into the mounts, the pan hits. lesson learned. Hopefully The shims take care of it. If not, Ill have to drop the k member out and notch it or beat the hell out of it with a BFH. Ugh
Old 03-09-2017, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it running yet? Looking forward to the car's first LS powered burnout!
Can't wait bud. A couple of buddies and I are planning a trip to the local drag strip in june. I really want to have this thing wrapped up with time to spare.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

I'm probably going to preemptively notch my cross member. Lots of stories about the oil pan being close on swaps. I'm just gonna notch the thing and gusset it from the get go.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wph351
Its BARELY hitting.
Keep in mind - depending on how much compliance you have in motor/tranny mounts, it moves around under accel/decel. 1/4" clear min usually.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Had some time last night to work on the car. Shimming the motor mounts isn't going to do it. I see no option but to drop the k member and notch it.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Bummer.....
Old 03-10-2017, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bummer.....
I know. I'm kicking myself for not taking a few extra minutes to see it through properly. Silver lining......the front suspension hasn't been put together yet. Pretty sure I can get it dropped, cut, welded, re installed in a long day.

Last edited by wph351; 03-10-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Decided to take the day and address this. Everything whent exceedingly smooth and fast. I've had this car apart many times during nearly 20 years of ownership, it nearly falls apart. Well here is what I ended up with. A good finger width the whole way around the front.

It now seems obvious that the pan was more than " barely touching". Prior to this, the passenger rear corner of the trans pan was kissing the vertical part of its crossmember. Now there is daylight between the two.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Getting pretty close to first start up now. Ran into major issues building the y-pipe. My first attempt failed as it was going to hang to low. There is very little space on the passenger side in between the frame rail and trans pan. Ended up taking a BFH to the pipe and the grinder to the frame. With the second attempt the fit is decent. However there is no way I'm going to be able to weld it up to the headers or even get a regular exhaust clamp in there. Any suggestions?

Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm probably going to preemptively notch my cross member. Lots of stories about the oil pan being close on swaps. I'm just gonna notch the thing and gusset it from the get go.
Smart thinking, wish I would have.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was able to finally attempt a start up. I hit the key and she turns over....Doesnt start.
After a few attempts the check engine light comes on. Po336 crank sensor. A quick ohm test of the three wires revealed no problems. Decided to pull the sensor. It was TIGHT coming out....because it was bent! The f $#$ING thing was bent!

​​​​​​I was almost sick to my stomach as it dawned on me that the thumping I had heard a few days prior was probably the reluctor banging into the sensor....not the oil pan hitting the k member and most likely will result in a tear down due to a bent reluctor wheel.

I still had the old sensor. Upon comparing the two side by side, the older one was shorter, by a considerable margin. Wtf??

Popped the old one in and it fired right up! Sounded good even! I had only a minimal amount of fluids installed, so the first run was a short one.

Topped everything up to a more appropriate level and hit the key...crank and no start! This time I get a po118...coolant temp sensor. Once again I decided to ohm out the wires. Upon doing so I found one plugged into the wrong ECM slot...75 instead of 74. After moving the wire it still doesnt start, throws the same code. A quick run to napa and I had new sensor. Install the new sensor and she fires right up! Woohoo!

The past week or so has been spent fixing a few small leaks and general tying up of loose ends. The car should be on its maiden voyage tomorrow. I have a dyno tune session scheduled for Thursday next week. Hopefully a few shakedown runs close to home will reveal anything that needs attention.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

On a side note, anyone have ideas on what this combo might put down on the dyno? Predictions on 1/4 mile e.t. and mph?
  • 1987 iroc. Full weight

2000 ls1 short block

243 heads, minor home port, shaved .025, fresh valve job.

.040 cometics

TSP 224/224 .600 .600 112 lsa

Fast 90/nw92

36lb injectors

truck coils

walbro 255

85mm maf screen removed

1 3/4" longtubes 3" collector dumping into single 3.5"

yank ss3600

strange 12 bolt 33 spline with 4.10 gears

lakewood adj. lca's

weld in subframe connectors

Mickey thompson et street ss

My local track is at 550 ft. above sea level. I don't know what the typical DA might be. Car hooks well, whent 12.1 @116 with old carbed small block.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Congrats! No idea how it will perform - what's it weigh?

Quick Reply: Need advice for pre start checklist!