Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use the PRC as-cast heads with BTR dual springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone use the PRC as-cast heads with BTR dual springs?

So I've got a pair of the Texas speed PRC As-Cast heads from Colorado speed and they sent me the BTR dual springs SK001 spring kit. The springs that are normally included with the PRC heads are TSP PAC Valve Springs. Now BTR says to use their spring guide and locator with the springs so that the spring doesn't bind. As you can tell the valve spring guide is much larger and the provided spring seats and locator from BTR don't fit. The provided PRC HW does fit the dual springs well and have the same outside dimensions, but the thickness of the base is different as the BTR one is a good amount thicker. Would it be safe to use the ones that came with the head?

Silver locator is PRC and black is BTR.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

I know this is an old thread but I have just ran into this same issue.... what did you decide to do?
Old 08-02-2018, 06:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 581 Likes on 404 Posts

Might be best to call Texas Speed.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

My favorite thing is when people ask questions about a problem and then never update with what the solution was.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:58 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

The black locators are for stock guides, the other locators are for bronze guides. The OP was sent the wrong locators. BTR offers locators with their kits for either, you just have to have half a brain and know which ones you need.

As for thickness, it depends on your coilbind clearance and installed height. You want to install the springs at an installed height so that at full lift, you have about .060” clearance from coilbind (Installed Height - Valve Lift - Coilbind Height = Coilbind Clearance).

The locator thickness will change your installed height, with the thinner locator increasing your installed height and coilbind clearance but decreasing spring pressure, and the thicker locators will have the opposite effect.

Quick Reply: Anyone use the PRC as-cast heads with BTR dual springs?